Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I recently bought my first car at 17 years old, I was very happy, it's a 2010 chevy malibu with 82000 miles for 4000$, it didn't seem like a bad deal, everything at the time looked good and sounded good. I've only had the car for about a week and I noticed almost instantly after I drove it off the lot that it made a weird ticking sound on the inside of the car anytime it's idle. The car when driving sounds and runs great. when the car is in Park the sound is not there, when I put the car into drive the sound starts, and it's more prominent when I put the AC on. in the video the first sound your hearing is with the AC on, and then I turn the AC off and then its a slower not as constant ticking, its doesn't seem like the AC is the problem just because sometimes the sound will pick up like the AC is on when it's not. Like I mentioned when I accelerate the sound gets a little bit faster for maybe a second or two, but then is completely gone when I'm driving, It's only in drive at idle. I've also noticed the car vibrates a little more than what I think is normal at idle too, but I'm not sure if they're related or if that's even a problem. Anyway, I just wondered if anyone here had any ideas as to what it could be, I've tried looking it up and have gotten answers from spark plugs to engine mounts. Thought I'd ask here before I take it into a shop, I'm just hoping it's nothing expensive, like an engine or transmission.
2010 chevy malibu ticking sound

Thanks,
Evan

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
Hard to tell over the internet. May be a actuator in the HVAC system which are located in the dashboard.
Could be a belt tensioner, needs to be checked by a tech. Could be a heat shield or something else.
These are only my guess's.

Reactions: Doworkscotty
1 - 3 of 3 Posts