Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Proud owner of a 2008 Malibu Ltz with the 3.6 litter with VVT, the LY7 High Feature model I believe. Owned the car since 2011 and currently have just under 125,000 miles on it.

I currently have a check engine with a p0017 engine code. But it's that code and that code only. The engine light will actually go out on its own from time to time but always comes back. It doesn't run rough, plenty of power, and if anything I feel like the gas mileage has gone up the last couple years, but that might just be me going easier on it. There is no rattling noise coming from the engine. Every time I do an oil change the engine light will go out for a few days.

If it was the timing chain the light would go out would it? I've started adding seafoam to the oil before my oil changes to help clean any gunk out if that was it. Could it be a bad or clogged actuator? I don't have the money to have the chain done at a shop and I dread trying to change it myself but I may have no choice.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have had this happen before but more often than not you have an oil leak and are just low on oil between changes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No oil leaks that I'm aware of. No oil on the ground or in the coolant. Think I'd notice the smell of it was burning it. Level on the dip stick is always good.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Oooof. Without opening up the covers to check slack or broken parts. Never took these out, but you can try and clean the screens if they have any or the oil pump screen, but if you haven't changed the timing setup yet, sadly, it may be time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So as an update...

Still have the p0017 code, and the check engine light no longer occasionally goes out. It's been on steady for the last four months or so. I replaced the camshaft actuator solenoid and the camshaft position sensor on bank 1 on the exhaust side. It didn't fix it of course. I reached my fingers up into the hole the actuator solenoid goes into to feel for any slack in the timing chain and I couldn't get anything to move.

I'm at about 130,000 miles now so I also replaced the spark plugs. That at least smoothed the idle out some, it had started getting a bit rough the last few months.
I'm out of ideas. I've been toying with the idea of taking to the local dealership to have them try and diagnose it.
Other than the code it runs like a champ, frustrating...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts