Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this may be a really stupid question, but in the showroom the car I bought looked very much like the one at the top this forum page -- really dark tinted windows -- which I liked! In my garage, in the parking lot, everywhere I have had it, the windows look like everyone else's -- they sure don't look as heavily tinted as the standard Malibu image would indicate.

Are they tinted in a special way so that they only look dark under certain light?

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
You were inside a building...hence, naturally darker, and there's little reflection coming off the interior, so the glass looks darker as well. ESPECIALLY if you have the dark interior, then they really could look tinted. The lighting in certain showrooms highlights the visual.

In other words, your car is normal, you just first saw it in an unnatural environment;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured it has something to do with the lighting. But I've paid special attention to the Malibu commercials, and even those driving "down the highway" show those nice dark windows. I may just have to go get mine tinted. :) Has anyone had that done? If so, what kind of $$$?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had mine done at 20% all the way around. I think that it cost about $140. It was worth the cost...I love the look of the darker windows.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
I figured it has something to do with the lighting. But I've paid special attention to the Malibu commercials, and even those driving "down the highway" show those nice dark windows. I may just have to go get mine tinted. :) Has anyone had that done? If so, what kind of $$$?
Sometimes for marketing, the image will be played with or the windows will simply be tinted to give that "look"...in a commercial or print ad, for instance, the image looks better if you see smoked/dark glass vs. see through it and into the interior. So, in images like in our header above, which are clearly computer touched or just the cars in commercials, things are to production spec but tint, lighting, etc. is played with to get the right visual.

Tinting is not much, usually average $100-300, or more, depending on the tint, the installer, how many windows, etc. I had the rear windows done in my G8, for instance, and it was $175.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Luckily around here they are not too tough on tinting. They used to be :( ... but then they just stopped. Lol... Its great, seeing as now I have 8%

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of what 50% looks like? I'd like to get my windows tinted but want to see if it's worth it with 50%. I'm here in Minnesota and that's what we're allowed to have here up Nort'

·
Registered
438 Posts
I had mine tinted as well. When I bought the car I said they had to do it for free and they agreed. I forget the levels, but the back is darker than the front per WI law, and the front does look different in different types of lighting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.