Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
never heard of them.... what are they and why would you want to use them? tire shops balnce tires..... not sure of them need for "beads" after the fact

·
Administrator
16,840 Posts
A buddy of mine with a Ford diesel dually has the plate-mounted kind - I forget the brand name. He says they work great. He's an engineer type and checked into them. It seems that they have some beads in an oil with a specific viscosity.

If it weren't for him saying they work I'd think they were snake oil. At this point, if I needed something like that, I'd consider a set.

·
Registered
415 Posts
so you use them instead of the regular.... lead weights? I used to do tire changes for a living a long time ago. I guess my quandary is.... putting on on weight material or another... is 6 of one kind half dozen of another. As long as the correct weight is where it belongs, don't k ow the need for anything exotic....

I guess I am waiting for the "but wait theres more" part of the product. I guess to me balanced is balanced, is why I am struggling

·
Administrator
16,840 Posts
I learned something the other day about balancing from a very unexpected source. I was laughing during a lot of the video, but there was also the lesson in the difference between static balancing and dynamic balancing. Just goes to show ya that ya can learn something, even when you're not expecting to!

The video is a bit long (over 20 minutes), and the lesson is just after the 14-minute mark. He then explains the difference between the two balancings. Before that, though, he spends an awful lot of time and energy turning, drilling, and milling a metal slab to mount on a lawn mower. (Yep, you read that right, a lawn mower! :eek: I think I'm in the wrong business for making money.)

·
Registered
415 Posts
yes.... when i did it we only used one type of the balancing.... too long ago lol, forget if it was static or dynamic. I just remember we only used one though for all cases.

tyanx for the vids and links all.

·
Registered
415 Posts
k..... so for those who didnt watch.... its a dynamic balance on your whole wheel assembly.... not just your tire and rim. It tales all the vibration out.... by putting allowing its shot in certain viscous material, to place itself where necessary... because of science. Really neat idea... wish I could see the actual product on rim... searching I will go 😆. I can see this being a good idea on snow tires and other softer rubber... where things like ice hunks and snow sticking can really change the balance of tires. But I wonder if high performance applications need it. Based on the assumption the is more care in fabrication... also the higher speed rating of tires, tells me the tires are already balanced pretty good apon manufacturing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Daily Driver i watched part of the video w/o sound...looks like that is an electric mower

1 - 9 of 9 Posts