Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Michigan the weather just shifted into the 30's and my tire pressure gauge turned on and won't turn off. So I thought I may have a flat and I checked the tire pressure and everthing seems fine. Has this happened to anyone? Malibu LTZ 2008

·
Registered
795 Posts
What pressure is your TPM showing when your tires are cold?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I live in Erie PA and my pressure dropped 4 -5 psi in each tire, that is porbably the reason for yours too?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Last month when the temp dropped I had to add 3 to 4 pounds to our tires on both cars.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
As others have said, with it on, what's the specific pressure readout in each of the tires? When it drops enough due to the denser cold air, it's typical for the alert to come on. Sounds like you did check the pressures, however, and it's still on, which shouldn't happen if they're high enough.

Now that it seems like it's going to stay officially cold here now, we just re-plumped the pressures in both the 'Bus yesterday so they're back up to a little over 30.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got back from Discount Tire and they did a tire pressure check all the way around. My tires dropped to 26 PSI and as soon as they set it to 30 PSI the recommended amount, the check tire pressure alert went away. Last time I ignored it in my previous vehicle, I ended up on the side of the road on a major freeway with a flat tire. Thanks for everyones input.

·
Registered
293 Posts
No problem, we're always glad to help! When it dropped from an average of low 70's to now the thirties and forties, I lost 5 pounds of pressure and it was enough to set off the alert. I paid a dollar fifty in quarters to air them up (no compressor at my place, and the closest one is at my parent's...40 miles away) to 34 psi, figuring they were warm from my driving into town and wanted t stay above 30, and around my comfort zone; 32.

·
Registered
139 Posts
This time of year, the pressures will vary greatly. With outside temps into the 20s this week and warming to about 40, you may experience presure changes of 4-5 PSI and your tires warm up.

Mine will vary between 32 and 35 psi but all tires are the same within 1 psi. As long as they stay in the 32-35 range youre ok. At 26, it needed air for sure.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
There you go then.

Quick and easy to check, simply by pressing the "Info" button on your steering wheel until you get to those 2 pages of the live pressure readouts in each tire. Pump them up, and you're good to go in the chilly stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.