Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 09 LTZ with 6000 miles... I have noticed that the right rear tire is 3-4 lbs different than the other tires (right rear is 30-34, others are 34-37). They used to all be the same but just in the last month this has happened. At what point should I worry about it and fill it up?

Also how do I know for sure that the right rear indicator is actually mapped to the right rear tire? The reason I ask is because the tire does not look low on pressure.

·
Registered
489 Posts
You should make it a routine scheduled maintenance. Check your tire pressure once a month and fill accordingly. Do not rely on the TPMS. It is there as a tool, not a crutch.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Our TPMS is always off on our passenger rear tire by about 2 PSI when compared to my manual tire gauge.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I use a digital gauge and it is more accurate than the cheap dial gauge I picked up at the auto parts store. Paying a little more in this area is a good thing. (my $.02) Suggested lbs is also (I believe) 30lbs.

·
Registered
193 Posts
To confirm the mapping, you can either check manually with a gauge or run the reset procedure detailed in your owner's manual.

You very well may be losing air pressure in one tire. Step one is to confirm you are losing pressure. Step two is look for a nail. Step three is to make sure your valve stem is tight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would use a gauge on each tire. If that tire is 3-4 pounds low next month, it probably has a slow leak. Look for a nail, if you cant find one mix up a solution of dawn dish soap (Few teaspoons) and about a pint of water. look for tiny little bubbles. check the valve stem and around the rim (bead seal area)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Oxygen can permeat the rubber in the tire and pass on out to the atmosphere, the molecules are small enough to pass on through and will contribute to fluctuations in air pressure. A good way to combat this is to have the air in the tires exchanged for Nitrogen instead, the molecules of nitrogen are larger and won't pass through the tire, some places like Discount Tire offer this service at a cost and there may be more that offer this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.