Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had two of these already, the tire pressure monitor valve stem assembly was leaking air. One leaked so fast that I didn't even have time to pull over and change it before it went flat. Now I have a third tire that is running low on pressure every day. I fill it in the morning, it's low by end of the day, it's down to less than 20 psi by next morning. I think it's the same issue. Anyone else seen this? I'm running 34psi with it being around 20 degrees F out there. But the car sits in a garage.

The dealer "tightened" the first two on two separate occasions. Haven't had a problem since. This feels like the first two. I'm just a little tired of this problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
sounds to me like you may have a leak in the tire? have you checked the valve stem with soap and water to see if its leaking? if it is then bring it to the dealer. on the older ones with the aluminum bodies we had issues with the seal that seals to the backside of the rim, it was servicable, i havent seen any issues with the rubber bodied TPM sensors leaking air yet. did they just tighten the schrader valve? has anyone else seen any issues?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't checked the tire. But it wasn't the tires two times before, so I thought I'd ask around before I take it in next week for them to look at it again.

I just realized one other curious fact - all these problems happen in the rear. The first two were in the back, this one was in the front that rotated to the rear at about 8,000 miles. Now I'm at ~18,000 miles. You'd think with FWD the rear wheels aren't being taxed THAT much.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
hmm...i have 2 sets - on my all season tires and on winter tires as well...seems ok so far.
I've seen those monitors, there's not much in terms of assemblly, just a small module and a valve stem screwed together. The whole module sits inside the tire. Perhaps your valve stems are defective?

The new sets I got for the winter tires are black ribbery ones. Not sure about the original set in the all seasons.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi AMGE

I just had new rims/winter tires, and 4 new sensors put on our 09 2LT.

Funny thing is the 2 fronts are still reading fine on the dash, but a day after I had the tires all put on the 2 rear sensors came up as a warning.They actually are showing no pressure, but the tires are still at proper inflation....using that tire gauge you hold on the valve stem....damn sensors!!!!

So it almost sounds like there may be a problem with the rear receiving sensors, and not the valve stem sensors??

Anyone else chime in with the same sort of issues?

Cheers,

Tony

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Hi AMGE

I just had new rims/winter tires, and 4 new sensors put on our 09 2LT.

Funny thing is the 2 fronts are still reading fine on the dash, but a day after I had the tires all put on the 2 rear sensors came up as a warning.They actually are showing no pressure, but the tires are still at proper inflation....using that tire gauge you hold on the valve stem....damn sensors!!!!

So it almost sounds like there may be a problem with the rear receiving sensors, and not the valve stem sensors??

Anyone else chime in with the same sort of issues?

Cheers,

Tony
Did you complete the sensor matching procedure?

Btw, the receiving end not working on rear only would be odd. Each sensor has a unique id and the car reacts to those it matched with and ignores any others. It really doesn't care what wheel is where, it needs to know that to display it properly. You can have your wheels loaded in the car and it is still going to read them.
So, either the sensors are not matched or the rear ones are defective.
If matching is the issue I think you may loose the reading on the front as well sometime soon.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On one of the previous occasions months ago, I was losing pressure so fast, I pulled over to put some air into it befoe I reached my appointment. As I put the air hose on it, the entire TPM assembly fell into the wheel, so my tire went completely flat instantly. I had just enough time to change the tire in the pouring rain. I dropped the tire off at the dealer and I did the tire matching routine after I picked up the tire from the dealer. Didn't have time to have them keep the car.

I am beginning to think I got a bad batch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you complete the sensor matching procedure
I was told by the dealership the 09's don't have to be reset...
The tire shop said the same, or it would have cost me another $50 at the tire store for them to yank out there nifty little computer module.

Am I getting the wrong info?

Cheers,

Tony

·
Registered
795 Posts
The tire shop said the same, or it would have cost me another $50 at the tire store for them to yank out there nifty little computer module.

Cheers,

Tony
Are you saying you bought new wheels and did not put your TMP sensors in the new wheels?

·
Premium Member
714 Posts

Cheers,

Tony
I find that hard to believe. How would the car know which sensors to read?
I'd take a look at the manual ... if there's a matching procedure follow it and see what happens.

Btw, no point paying 50$ when you can do it yourself in 5 minutes, it's quite easy.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Btw, no point paying 50$ when you can do it yourself in 5 minutes, it's quite easy.
I hope they did not want $50 just to do the relearn thing.
My dealer charges $12.50 to rotate tires and does not charge extra if you have TPMs to reset.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you saying you bought new wheels and did not put your TMP sensors in the new wheels?
I bought new wheels/rims for winter, as well I bought 4 new sensors from GM and had the tire shop put them in the new rims. The original tires are still on the 18" rims with the stock sensors still in them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.