Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2018 Malibu premiere and it came with 19inch tires... I went to discount tire and bought 17 inch and new rims .Now I have a shake in my car and any speed and after 10 times taking it back and fourth..I was wondering if the car prefers 19 inch tires or something else is causing my car to shake.....I had a wheel alignment done and regular maintenance....should I look at anything else to maybe help with that shaking?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,241 Posts
The gen9 Malibus come with a mix of 16, 17, 18, and 19" wheels. I know someone with the Premier and stock 19" that bought a set of 17" for their snow tires and it is fine. Your problem could be stubborn balancing but with that many tries I'll assume they aren't botching it that many times.

Best guess: the aftermarket wheels you got don't have the matched center bore. The center bore on the 16-18 is 70.3mm. If the wheels you got have a larger center bore (common to fit more cars) you need rings to match so the wheel sits tight with the hub on the car. You also need to make sure the bolt pattern is 5x115. Some owners have had no problems with 5x114.3 but some have had problems. I think I got all that right?

Also as a curiousity, what led you to replace all the wheels? Looks? Rough ride of the 19"? Price or short supply of 245/40R19 tires? Or was there an accident or some sort of damage?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The gen9 Malibus come with a mix of 16, 17, 18, and 19" wheels. I know someone with the Premier and stock 19" that bought a set of 17" for their snow tires and it is fine. Your problem could be stubborn balancing but with that many tries I'll assume they aren't botching it that many times.

Best guess: the aftermarket wheels you got don't have the matched center bore. The center bore on the 16-18 is 70.3mm. If the wheels you got have a larger center bore (common to fit more cars) you need rings to match so the wheel sits tight with the hub on the car. You also need to make sure the bolt pattern is 5x115. Some owners have had no problems with 5x114.3 but some have had problems. I think I got all that right?

Also as a curiousity, what led you to replace all the wheels? Looks? Rough ride of the 19"? Price or short supply of 245/40R19 tires? Or was there an accident or some sort of damage?
19inch tires I would have to wait for 3to5 days..as they don't keep them in stock. And yes the ride was little rough but didn't bother me. And wanted to get out of the 19inch as they were way more expensive.
Discount tire assured me that the tires and rims would fit. Should I go back and put on my original tires and rims and ask them about the rings???

·
Super Moderator
4,241 Posts
Discount tire can do great work. Unfortunately, not everyone there always has all the answers. I would take off one tire and see if they did install rings. You will notice when you remove the lugs if the wheel sits tight on the hub. If it is loose and there are no rings you are relying on lug centering and it's not what was intended. You can always just ask but you are at the mercy of the person you ask being honest and actually knowing the answer. I'm a trust but verify guy.

Reinstalling your old wheels and tires as a test would prove it's the new tires and wheels if the vibration disappears. I'd first just check a wheel.

Do you have paperwork on this? What is the wheel you purchased?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discount tire can do great work. Unfortunately, not everyone there always has all the answers. I would take off one tire and see if they did install rings. You will notice when you remove the lugs if the wheel sits tight on the hub. If it is loose and there are no rings you are relying on lug centering and it's not what was intended. You can always just ask but you are at the mercy of the person you ask being honest and actually knowing the answer. I'm a trust but verify guy.

Reinstalling your old wheels and tires as a test would prove it's the new tires and wheels if the vibration disappears. I'd first just check a wheel.

Do you have paperwork on this? What is the wheel you purchased?
These rims and tires are just recent in the month.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,241 Posts
@Travicomm are you sharing pictures of @My Amy's Malibu? Or is this your Malibu and you are just sharing?

If this is the wheel in question, and I am looking at the right wheel part 3130-7711M, the center is 72.62 so it would need rings.

I like the look of the wheels either way. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thats my car!!! I went outside to take a couple of pics to show you!!
I called Discount and they said they were the correct rings. But because they cant figure it out they said i could bring back the tires and rims and they would reimburse me the $1800.00 i paid and put back on original OEM rims and put on Michelin Tires. And I would have to deal with 19 inch tires and call ahead to have them order one if i get a flat.

·
Super Moderator
4,241 Posts
I called Discount and they said they were the correct rings. But because they cant figure it out they said i could bring back the tires and rims and they would reimburse me the $1800.00 i paid and put back on original OEM rims and put on Michelin Tires. And I would have to deal with 19 inch tires and call ahead to have them order one if i get a flat.
That's great that they will take them back. Discount Tire can be really good with that. I put a pair of Pirelli P7 on a car a few years back and they couldn't get them to balance. They swapped a tire, still couldn't. They took them back and swapped for Michelin Premier and no extra cost because of all the time trying to balance. Let us know how it comes out with the Michelins on the old wheels.

As for the two usernames, am I talking with two different people that share an interest in this car? Or is this one single owner with two accounts/usernames?

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's great that they will take them back. Discount Tire can be really good with that. I put a pair of Pirelli P7 on a car a few years back and they couldn't get them to balance. They swapped a tire, still couldn't. They took them back and swapped for Michelin Premier and no extra cost because of all the time trying to balance. Let us know how it comes out with the Michelins on the old wheels.

As for the two usernames, am I talking with two different people that share an interest in this car? Or do you have two accounts/usernames?
same person .. 2 different accounts.... Reason is... First Malibu i had is when i signed up and i got side swiped and insurance totaled it out. Then Because i liked the car a lot I went and got this car and well that's why i have 2 different names ... sorry for the confusion!!😁

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 2018 Malibu premiere and it came with 19inch tires... I went to discount tire and bought 17 inch and new rims .Now I have a shake in my car and any speed and after 10 times taking it back and fourth..I was wondering if the car prefers 19 inch tires or something else is causing my car to shake.....I had a wheel alignment done and regular maintenance....should I look at anything else to maybe help with that shaking?
Perhaps they didn’t correctly high speed balance your wheels or sold you a bent, damaged, used wheel, didn’t tighten your lug nuts properly… Take it back and fuss! Personally I prefer the 19” wheels, wanna sell me your old wheels… cheap maybe… 🙂

·
Registered
4 Posts
Perhaps they didn’t correctly high speed balance your wheels or sold you a bent, damaged, used wheel, didn’t tighten your lug nuts properly… Take it back and fuss! Personally I prefer the 19” wheels, wanna sell me your old wheels… cheap maybe… 🙂
Yes they did road force on the tires. So I switched back to the 19 and no shake at all. So I am guessing I am stuck with 19's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts