Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am looking at an 2009 Malibu 1LT. Options are : body color moldings, premium mat package, power convenience package (6way power and remote start) and the 6sp auto. Color is imperial blue metallic with the cocoa/cashmere interior. Very beautiful car indeed!

Here is the pricing info thus far...
Sticker: $23,770
Invoice: $22,791
They are coming down an additional: $596
GM card earnings: $1000 (but have $2800 available...boo)
Rebates: $2750
Processing charge: $189

= $18,634

So, what do you all think? All these negotiations were done with their internet sales manager (although I did go drive it this evening). We will be financing at 5.1%, which ends up saving us more money than to opt for the 0% w/ no rebates. We will not be trading anything at this point.

Thanks!
:cool:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hello everyone. I am looking at an 2009 Malibu 1LT. Options are : body color moldings, premium mat package, power convenience package (6way power and remote start) and the 6sp auto. Color is imperial blue metallic with the cocoa/cashmere interior. Very beautiful car indeed!

Here is the pricing info thus far...
Sticker: $23,770
Invoice: $22,791
They are coming down an additional: $596
GM card earnings: $1000 (but have $2800 available...boo)
Rebates: $2750
Processing charge: $189

= $18,634

So, what do you all think? All these negotiations were done with their internet sales manager (although I did go drive it this evening). We will be financing at 5.1%, which ends up saving us more money than to opt for the 0% w/ no rebates. We will not be trading anything at this point.

Thanks!
:cool:
Not bad,

I would ask them to take all your GM earnings though.
It's worth a try.
My 08 2Lt 4Cyl, (no additional options)
was 19,100 on Dec 1st. (bigger rebates at the that time)
before I applied 2K of GM earnings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I have asked if they can up the GM card earnings, but they keep saying that they can't, that it's controlled directly by GM. Is there truth to that? Do I need to ask differently?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks. I have asked if they can up the GM card earnings, but they keep saying that they can't, that it's controlled directly by GM. Is there truth to that? Do I need to ask differently?
I think the dealer is telling the truth. If GM wants to change the rules, that's one thing - but it's not like a dealer can negotiate a special deal for one particular customer or dealer.

If I was you, I would call GM card and confirm that your limit is $1,000. It is possible the dealer is mixing something up.

Also - there are several GM cards out there. THe older cards (I call them "classic") have no earnings redemption limit. You can use your whole balance on any chev/cad/pontiac/buick. Which kind do you have?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I think you're right too...

I also asked if they would negotiate other than money, such as free oil changes, gas, accessories, etc. They kinda balked at that and said other dealers can do that b/c they charge a lot more for processing and have extra padding; but this dealer only charges $189.50. Does that sound right at all?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks, I think you're right too...

I also asked if they would negotiate other than money, such as free oil changes, gas, accessories, etc. They kinda balked at that and said other dealers can do that b/c they charge a lot more for processing and have extra padding; but this dealer only charges $189.50. Does that sound right at all?

Thanks again.
For the dealership it all comes down to profit margin. I've never been a fan of trying to negotiate stuff into a deal. I focus on price. YOu can buy your own gas and your own oil changes wherever/whenever convenient for you.

That being said, I think this dealer is offering you a good price. Not a screaming good deal, but a good deal. I was able to get a larger discount on my 2009 LS, but only because it was a car advertised in the newspaper as a loss leader.

DO you like the color and the options on the car? I say if you like the color and options, you should go for it. If there are other colors or options you prefer, you could probably get a similar deal on the exact car you want at another dealership.

My 2 cents... Good luck!

·
Registered
573 Posts
A quick look here shows what you can get for each car on the GM card

https://www.gmflexcard.com/GMFlexCard/searchBrandStyle.do

As for the price that isnt tooo bad but there should be more off it. Its still a good deal but it can become a great deal if there was another 500-750 off.

Also, dont pay for the processing fee at all. Ask them what they use it for. Ours wanted $300 just to register it in our name. What did we pay? $32.50. The exact amount it costs to have a car registered.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Thanks. I have asked if they can up the GM card earnings, but they keep saying that they can't, that it's controlled directly by GM. Is there truth to that?
It's true. There are several types of GM earnings cards and it sounds like you have the same one we do. There is no limit on how much you can earn in one year, but there is a limit on how much you can redeem. Last year the limit on Malibu was $1,000, $2,000 on Impala and I believe $3,000? on full size trucks.

Another GM card out there only lets you earn $500/year, but there is no limit on how much you can redeem on a car or truck.

You should be able to check your card website to see what the current limit is on each vehicle.
Here is a link showing the redemption limits for the card I think you have. https://www.gmflexcard.com/GMFlexCard/searchMakeModelYear.do?year=2009

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have the same car as you're looking at and got it for pretty much the same price. My dealer originally wanted to charge me $599 for doc. fees. I told them I wouldn't pay more than $100. We went 'round and 'round about this for a few of minutes until I pulled out my supplier code. This automatically broght that cost down to $75. So it can be cheaper.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Our dealer does not charge any doc fees.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I got a so-so quote today....I went a dealer where I bought 2 vehicles before. I checked thier website and I saw they had exactly what we wanted:

White with Ebony 2LT
Sunroof
Premium Mat
Sticker is 26,360

The problem was - when I got there - they were using the car as a salesman demo - it has 5900 miles on it...so they gave me their 'demo' price.

22,745 using 0%
or
19,995 w/2750 rebates

The car wasnt even there for me to look at - as they gave it out as a loaner for someone car that was being serviced.

I thought that was much to high for a demo - so I told them we would think about it and to call us back when it comes back.

They tried to locate a new one for me - but the only one they could find had Sunroof - Mats & premium radio - they quoted me 24,995 w/ 0% for that one.

I think these prices are too high in this market.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I got a so-so quote today....I went a dealer where I bought 2 vehicles before. I checked thier website and I saw they had exactly what we wanted:

White with Ebony 2LT
Sunroof
Premium Mat
Sticker is 26,360

The problem was - when I got there - they were using the car as a salesman demo - it has 5900 miles on it...so they gave me their 'demo' price.

22,745 using 0%
or
19,995 w/2750 rebates

The car wasnt even there for me to look at - as they gave it out as a loaner for someone car that was being serviced.

I thought that was much to high for a demo - so I told them we would think about it and to call us back when it comes back.

They tried to locate a new one for me - but the only one they could find had Sunroof - Mats & premium radio - they quoted me 24,995 w/ 0% for that one.

I think these prices are too high in this market.
I agree the $24,995 was not a good deal. I think you should keep looking.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I agree the $24,995 was not a good deal. I think you should keep looking.
Thats kind of what I figured - it tough as there are not too many 2LTs around my area with Ebony interior and 4cly. The one that I test drove today had the Titanium interior today and I didnt like it at all....the car only had 70 miles on it but the interior was really showing all the dust/dirt etc.....

The colors that I like in order are:
White
Golden Pewter
Silver
Blue
Black

The search continues.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The 2LT with the 4cyl is the best selling model. Thats what I wanted at first because of the 4cyl/6speed in a lower price point without leather but all the other good stuff. Within 500 miles of us there was only one on the lots.

If you can deal with the leather the LTZ is very good for what it is. I love the automatic climate control and the LED tail lamps in it. Plus once the leather is broken in a little bit its much softer than when you first sit in it.

Plus, I wouldnt go with the 0% with the amount of rebates that are currently out there for a Malibu. You can save more money with the rebates than with the 0%.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Both my wife and I dislike the two tone leather in the LTZ. - So an LTZ is not an option - if the interior was solid - we would be buying a LTZ.

We both really like the Suede in the 2LTs

As for financing - it looks like 24k is the break point of whether to choose 0% or Rebate.

Doing the calculation - if I pay 24k for 2LT with 3500 down and 0% - the total payment would be 77 dollars less then using the 2750 rebate with 5.85% financing.

Obviously - if you can get lower % - the break point lessens.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I didnt like the two tone at all either. I HATE leather with a passion as I grew up in south Texas and summer with leather is a deathwish.

It does grow on you though. :)

Hopefully you get a good price on whatever you get!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Both my wife and I dislike the two tone leather in the LTZ. - So an LTZ is not an option - if the interior was solid - we would be buying a LTZ.

We both really like the Suede in the 2LTs

As for financing - it looks like 24k is the break point of whether to choose 0% or Rebate.

Doing the calculation - if I pay 24k for 2LT with 3500 down and 0% - the total payment would be 77 dollars less then using the 2750 rebate with 5.85% financing.

Obviously - if you can get lower % - the break point lessens.
Great analysis on the break even point! Can you put down less than $3,500? If you can put zero down then you could use your cash for other purposes and be in a better situation yet.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Great analysis on the break even point! Can you put down less than $3,500? If you can put zero down then you could use your cash for other purposes and be in a better situation yet.
I could, but 2500 of that is coming from my GM card so I am really only taking 1000 cash from my pocket.

I actually forgot about my local credit union....they have 4.49 for 60 months - so I am heading there tomorrow to get an application. Looks like the rebate is the way to go with the 4.49.

Now I just need to find the right Malibu and decide if I really can live with a 4cly.

I just dont know if it will have enough power for me - or if I should just do my first instinct and go with the 6 cyl.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The 4 cyl isnt the most powerful engine ever but it does pull once above 3500 RPM and it has good power to pass on the highway as well.

However its not the V6 by any means!

·
Registered
97 Posts

White with Ebony 2LT
Sunroof
Premium Mat
Sticker is 26,360

22,745 using 0%
or
19,995 w/2750 rebates
Anyone else think this isn't a bad deal? Maybe not great, but ok?

I bought a demo car with 5000 miles on it... an LTZ with Sunroof ... retail $28,395 got it out the door for $22,800 (inc 6% taxes/title/transfer plate).

I wouldn't be scared of a demo car they are basically brand new cars with a few thousand miles on it -- never been titled. Just drive it to make sure it's good and they didn't smoke in it or anything. If you like the car tell them to knock $1000 off and see what they say.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.