Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

To wax or not to wax?

21K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  SCompRacer 
#1 ·
hey guys i just wanted to know your opinions on waxing? Ive heard good and bad and was wondering what malibu users are doing..

Which types of waxes are you using? and how often are you waxing your bu's?

thanks in advance..

#2 ·
What are the bads of waxing.

I did my initial wax with turtle wax hard shell. I just bought an armour all one that I've seen recently in adds, it was pretty easy and so far so good.

#4 ·
What type of wax is like asking what kind of oil, you'll get a lot of different answers and none are right or wrong for the most part. Even though the paint is a clear coat paint, on vehicles that aren't maintained, the clear coat can fail, look around, it happens quite a bit. Really you should start by regular washing, whether that be every time it rains or once a month. A car care forum like the Meguiars Online forum, for example, is a great source of information. A member here did a sticky on the subject if you want to read it, it's here http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4888 .

Personally, I use Meguiars products, I used several different products so far. Next is the clay bar followed by Ultimate wax. If the humidity isn't too high, I might use Ultimate polish before the wax, we'll see. I do everything by hand. If you know what you're doing with a buffer, great. If not, it doesn't take much to burn through the clear. I watched a guy do it, intentionally even, just a month ago or so.

How often? At least a few times a year, but even once or twice a year will keep it looking good for quite a while.

#9 · (Edited)
i'm a car guy and I like my vehicles looking their best,
That's different from what is "necessary" to preserve the paint.

Here's my bet: You can take a 10 year old car that has had the paint "neglected" in that it has NEVER been polished, just washed........and do your thorough paint detailing job ONCE.......and from 10 feet away, the average person won't be able to tell it apart from a similar model that has been polished 4 times a year for those 10 years.

If that is true, it would save you 39 detailing sessisons and that is the basis for my saying that it is not "necessary" to preserve the paint.

Desirable, sure maybe for some but not really necessary for a reasonably good looking car.

hey guys i just wanted to know your opinions on waxing?

This is a matter of personal opinioin.
Mine is slightly different than yours.
It is often useful to hear differing opinions and the reasoning behind them.
Nothing useful will be accomplished by an arguement.

Cheers.

P.S. Still wanting to know what the "bad" things are about waxing.

#10 ·
Yes definately wax your car.
I find it kind of fun to get out there and make your car, bike or whatever look as nice as it can.

#12 ·
When I saw that this thread has gone to two pages I thought for sure there would have been a response to the bads of waxing...

MIchelle I have not used the turtle wax ice wax, but I do use their soap and it smells nice haha.

#13 · (Edited)
I sure hope you aren't using Turtle Wax soap on yourself Dalecon :eek:

The only bad thing I can think of for waxing is if you use dirty rags to do it and or not get the car clean before waxing it. Just use common sense and clean rags.

#15 ·
First time waxing this 2011 Malibu today. Wow, that is some thin flimsy sheet metal especially on the roof. I know I wasn't pushing down any harder than usual. My S-10 doesn't 'give' as easily. Felt like some of these panels might not be sheet metal after all.

The only "bad" of waxing that I can think of is:
1) Getting wax where it doesn't belong. On areas that are best protected with a vinyl or plastic protectant like mirrors, b-pillar, wipers, On-Star antenna, etc. End up with a white cakey result.
2) Using rubbing compound instead of polishing compound to get out surface scratches.

#18 ·
DOH! That is such a simple concept and I've never thought of it. :)

#19 ·
I've had my 2007 GMC Canyon since bought new. I do have a carport but do not wax it. Its silver birch color and I always hand wash it with a good wash and wax and wipe dry with an absorber. It looks just as I bought it new. My local GM dealership is always telling me it looks as nice if not nicer than any thing on the lot. But I do take extra care of it. Has never been on gravel and have 39,000 miles.

#20 ·
Never have protected the plastic just so I don't get wax on it, that's too much work.
A lot of good waxes/sealants now a days don't leave that white residue anymore.

#21 ·
Yes, wax it! Use the best, highest concentration carnuba wax you can find. No cleaners, or polishes (polishing is a separate task!) I like Zymol Crème, or Carbon, Pinnacle, P21 S.
It will keep your paint "fed" keep it from drying out and adds a layer of protection from acid rain, bird poo, etc.
The only "down side" to using wax is: on a true show car finish, highly polished, wax can slightly dull down the shine. On these paint jobs it is better to use a hand glaze, for minimum protection, or just leave it after a super fine polish job.

#26 ·
I have used Griots Garage Best of Show wax for over 25 years and have never been disappointed with the final results. I wax my cars about once every 6 weeks. I have recently tried Griots Liquid Gloss Poly Wax and have been impressed with it's ease of application, removal and the paint clarity after I am finished waxing.

#29 ·
If you value your car's appearance, then waxing is one of the best things you could do for it. It greatly enhances the appearance of paint (after a proper polish detail), and it will further protect the clearcoat from failure from UV rays. Waxing will also bring satisfaction to the owner if its done well.

Without waxing and propoerly detailing your car, you rob yourself of the opportunity of making your car's appearance the best that it could be. Instead, one will always admire someone else's car's appearance instead of enjoying your own car's beauty.

Reactions: DrivenDaily
#31 ·
2 more days off, I washed it this AM, may use a quick detailer wax tomorrow AM.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.