Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the top speed of their Mailibu's are. I thought that I read that the V6's were electronically limited to 117 mph. Obviously the vehicle should be capable of much more than that...with a 140 mph speedo and all. I can't say that I have attempted a "terminal velocity" run with my new Bu yet.
I used to get so mad when my old Grand Am would hit a speed limiter at 107 mph...even though I had a good 1500 rpm left until red line in top gear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I sure don't know the top speed of my Hybrid.

I bought it to commute, and go 70 mph maximum.

As soon as I want a fast car, I'll go out and buy myself the Corvette Z06.

:p

The most plausible reason the limiter is there, is to avoid fast car crashes, done by inexperienced drivers. Driving at more than 100 mph is a skill that needs training. It's not just "step on it and go"... the physics and maneuverability of the car are VERY different at that speed and above. Most of these commuter cars are simply not built for these speeds. Bad things can and do happen at these speeds.

I highly suggest no one go that fast in their Malibu.

Cheers

·
Registered
293 Posts
Personally, I have only hit 92 in the 'bu on the interstate running down the mountain. It did not strain, but that is how fast I would like for it to go.

Although going 55 in a 20 (Residential) and 105 in a 70 (Interstate) both consists of only 35 over the limit, I think I'll just enjoy the high-speed baby maneuvering.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sure don't know the top speed of my Hybrid.

I bought it to commute, and go 70 mph maximum.

As soon as I want a fast car, I'll go out and buy myself the Corvette Z06.

:p

The most plausible reason the limiter is there, is to avoid fast car crashes, done by inexperienced drivers. Driving at more than 100 mph is a skill that needs training. It's not just "step on it and go"... the physics and maneuverability of the car are VERY different at that speed and above. Most of these commuter cars are simply not built for these speeds. Bad things can and do happen at these speeds.

I highly suggest no one go that fast in their Malibu.

Cheers

Thanks for the safety briefing....My in-laws have a streach of desolate highway by their house that flat and about 5 mile long. I have just tried to see how fast all of my vehicles top out at. I am not that guy that constantly passes you on the interstate like your moving backwards. Besides, maybe some us of can drive fast for a living and not get in trouble...;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Does anyone know what the top speed of their Mailibu's are. I thought that I read that the V6's were electronically limited to 117 mph. Obviously the vehicle should be capable of much more than that...with a 140 mph speedo and all. I can't say that I have attempted a "terminal velocity" run with my new Bu yet.
I used to get so mad when my old Grand Am would hit a speed limiter at 107 mph...even though I had a good 1500 rpm left until red line in top gear.
117 mph limited sounds about right. I've hit 110ish and it's very smooth at speed and got there surprising fast. Of course, I was on a race track under controled conditions.:D

·
Registered
59 Posts
The speed limit installed at the factory has little to do with handling. It is there to prevent you from driving past the speed rating of the tires. GM sets it so that they will not be liable for tire failure at speed when using the cheapest available factory supplied tires. My '99 will only do 106 with the factory ECU.

·
Registered
281 Posts
all of the 4 cylenders are limited at 112 :/..... i found that on the first day i owned my car lol

·
Registered
74 Posts
It was around 115-117 the governor kicked in for my V6 LTZ. Just shut off the fuel - I was told that the transmission might have disengaged too, but I doubt it.

Before anyone have a cow. I was on a track, courious to see what the top end will be and what happens when you hit it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Topped out at 180 km/h on a 3 lane highway late at night with nobody around. ;)

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
And some cars just don't have the horsepower to get up to that speed so need no governors.

Bill
Or, more so, just the proper gearing. Even without much power you can get to insane speeds with the proper gearing translating what is there to the wheels and keeping revs in check. Power isn't really the problem, it's the gearing getting the power that is there out to the ground and keeping it coming as steady and constant as possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have taken my LTZ to the 117 max several times on the interstate. I have looked for a chip to to replace or reprogram the factory unit. I've not found one yet. I have put Z-rated tires on the car to improve the handling.

Jeff

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just tested my 07 I-4 LT out, i hit 108mph and then the governor kicked in. I was at 4800rpm in 3rd so i still had some more room to get faster.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
A Ranger 4 cyl truck I had was limited to something like 90 mph :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
In general GM sets the speed limiter according to the quality of tire intended for the vehicle in combination with any handling issues detected during design and manufacture. For example my 99 Malibu stalls at 106 (ha ha ha) while my 97 STS will do better than 140. Guess which vehicle came with 'standard' tires and which requires performance rated tires. This all boils down to a safety/liability issue and I don't even want to get started on that....

Bottom line - modern vehicles 'can' go much faster but 'big brother' won't allow it.

This can be overcome but special tools and money are required....

·
Registered
281 Posts
Old GM vehicles were 98. Like the extreme pickups and Grand AM/Prix from the lat 1900's
actualy no. the grand prixs 97-03 are limited to 118mph gt's and 124mph GTP
i tune them so i know what the computer limits it at :p
what u do is you .....actualy cant get rid of teh speed limiter... the computer just wont do it but what you do is put it at an unreachable number like 255mph ( thats the max the computer will allow on the GP's) and its like no speed limiter then the revlimiter and gears come into effect:D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts