Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:mad:

So the morons from XM have been pestering me the last 3 weeks with renewing XM radio. I figured, why should I? I bought the offical GM PAL cable, so I can listen to my Ipod and control it from my radio. It used XM channel one. Well my XM subscription ran out while I was in the car today.

Now I can't listen to my ipod anymore through the cable.

:mad:

I find it unconscionable that I have to pay a monthly subscription to listen to my ipod through a $200 installation. I never would have gotten the cable in the first place had I known this.

I'm going to contact my dealer Monday to see what he can do.

Edit: It would appear that my XM is borked, as channel 1 is a free preview channel and I should still be able to get it.

Edit #2: Took my car in today, they reset the radio and everything is working fine.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You can't use the ******* I-Pod plug-in unless you pay for that XM ****? **** THAT!! I still have mine but it will be running out in a week or two when I hit the 3 month mark of having my car. What dealer you get your car from? Garden City?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got mine from Fox Chevrolet. I'm going to call them on Monday to see what they might be able to do. I always thought it was weird as well that I had to use the XM channel 1 to get it to work before. Grrrrrrrr.

·
Registered
135 Posts
this can't be right

·
Registered
512 Posts
Something's wrong here, I don't think that's the case at all. I'll post this at GMI and see what they know.

·
Registered
512 Posts
So far the consensus at GMI is that this is NOT supposed to happen. One member says that his dad's Silverado does not have XM active yet his iPod jack works fine. This is just purely coincidental.
I'd advise taking it to the dealer and having them check the jack.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
So far the consensus at GMI is that this is NOT supposed to happen. One member says that his dad's Silverado does not have XM active yet his iPod jack works fine. This is just purely coincidental.
I'd advise taking it to the dealer and having them check the jack.
He's not talking about the main mini plug input jack on the front. This is the accessory Personal Audio Link that goes into the back of the radio and is specifically for iPod connection only.

I would think it would be set up to be active and work on the Aux. channel of sorts just like the unit goes into if you insert a mini plug connection on the front, but maybe not. Definitely shouldn't be at all related to a satellite band, though.

·
Registered
512 Posts
He's not talking about the main mini plug input jack on the front. This is the accessory Personal Audio Link that goes into the back of the radio and is specifically for iPod connection only.

I would think it would be set up to be active and work on the Aux. channel of sorts just like the unit goes into if you insert a mini plug connection on the front, but maybe not. Definitely shouldn't be at all related to a satellite band, though.
Aww fudge, I missed that. I'll ask again.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Okay, I totally take back what I just said.

The GM PAL apparently does work via an XM band, XM1. Doesn't seem right, but so be it. I knew this was advertised as an HHR accessory for a while and found a few links on an HHR board to GM pages. Here's a couple of good ones:

http://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14627

http://chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12882&page=4

http://www.gm.com/vehicles/parts/ipod/?exist=false

http://www.gm.com/vehicles/parts/ipod/PAL+Quick+Ref+Guide+NOV07.pdf?exist=false

http://www.gm.com/vehicles/parts/ipod/PAL+FAQs+JAN08.pdf?exist=false

XM1 should always be there, as it would be backwards to require a person to have an XM subscription just so they could plug in their iPod, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Actually, I always thought XM1 was there regardless and remained as the free Preview channel not dependent on you subscribing. Seems different here, again, though.

So, hmm. The connection is definitely right requiring an XM band to link up, but the problem--of course--arises if you don't have that XM band.

·
Registered
512 Posts
It says on one of those links that XM service is in no way related to PAL.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We let the XM trial subscription expire on our '08 Malibu and it still picks up XM channels 0, 1, 130, 143 and 247. Pressing the Band button still cycles between FM, AM then XM. If yours isn't picking up the XM band then I would have the dealer look at it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Hmm....Very weird and that sucks alot!

A couple of questions....Is the XM button not also the Aux button? Have you tried pushing the XM button more than once to see if you can cycle through to the Auxiullary jack? Dumb question I know and I am sure you have tried this...

But is just doesn't make any sense.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
We let the XM trial subscription expire on our '08 Malibu and it still picks up XM channels 0, 1, 130, 143 and 247. Pressing the Band button still cycles between FM, AM then XM. If yours isn't picking up the XM band then I would have the dealer look at it.
Yea, I get nothing on the radio. It skips right between AM and FM, never even gives me the option of XM.

·
Registered
421 Posts
That's odd. I let my XM lapse right after the free trial, and all it did was jumped back to the preview station. Maybe the XM module connection is loose or something (might've even had something to do with when they installed the Ipod stuff..).

·
Registered
701 Posts
BuckyFan - Glad to hear it has worked now....Wonder what happened to cause the radio to have to be reset for this?????

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.