Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
That is a pretty neat website. I will have to give this a try when I have some extra time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine got 23.4 mpg first tank 2.4 4 speed

·
Registered
67 Posts
The DIC MPG readings are off the wall. Sometimes, it's dead on, other times its way off. Both high and low.

My 08 LS (2.4L/4spd) is averaging about 26.2 over the course of 5500 miles. Best guess is about 70/30 highway miles. Not great, but you can't expect much from a 3400lb car being hauled around by a little 170hp 4-cylinder.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The DIC MPG readings are off the wall. Sometimes, it's dead on, other times its way off. Both high and low.

My 08 LS (2.4L/4spd) is averaging about 26.2 over the course of 5500 miles. Best guess is about 70/30 highway miles. Not great, but you can't expect much from a 3400lb car being hauled around by a little 170hp 4-cylinder.
I have gone thru 2 tanks now, averaging 27.5 with the 4/6 auto. Been pleased so far. Seems like it will get about 24-26 around town after it loosens up and gets some synth oil in her. Probably 60/40 in the first two tanks. Mostly highway. Looking forward to a trip to the mts in the next month or so and see what she gets on the road. Hoping for about 34 or so. The DIC has been low by about 1 mpg the first 2 tanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
my first tank with the 3.6 is about 23mpg, but i had the car ideling for some extra time i normally wouldn't do...

i think i'll be able to squeeze 26 out of this thing with a 50/50 mix of city / highway...

anyone swap out the air filter for a K&N and notice an effective increase of mileage...?

·
Registered
100 Posts
my first tank with the 3.6 is about 23mpg, but i had the car ideling for some extra time i normally wouldn't do...

i think i'll be able to squeeze 26 out of this thing with a 50/50 mix of city / highway...

anyone swap out the air filter for a K&N and notice an effective increase of mileage...?
I dropped one after the first tank - no real way to tell if mine went up any from it. Not much, if at all. I feel that with it and the synthetic oil, should be up an easy 1-3 mpg. I would be really happy if I could get around 26 city and 36 hwy, but right now its a mix of both. A drive in the country after just filling up and some miles around town, around 29 mpg on the readout and its pessimistic.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That was figured on paper... the DIC stated it was 30.7

I am very disappointed in the DIC accuracy. The C6 Corvettes are dead on it, but our Malibu has been about a mpg less than the actual reading. Guess that is better than its being optimistic, but still thought GM had this down pat. Must be a different unit they use in the Vettes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The Malibu's DIC is different than my Avalanche's. The AV's DIC figures MPG "at the moment", when the Trip is reset so is the MPG caculations.

The Malibu caculation are done taking into account past MPG history over time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The Malibu's DIC is different than my Avalanche's. The AV's DIC figures MPG "at the moment", when the Trip is reset so is the MPG caculations.

The Malibu caculation are done taking into account past MPG history over time.

You can reset the Malibu's avg. mpg at any time that you want to. I normally reset it and start over on every tank of gas. The Corvette is dead accurate vs. the Malibu being pessimistic by about 1 mpg or more. Its like the C5 Vettes were. The C6's got it going on as far as accuracy is concerned. The Malibu also has instant at the moment mpg. Got both, though not as accurate as it should be. Just MHO.:)

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
You can reset the Malibu's avg. mpg at any time that you want to. I normally reset it and start over on every tank of gas. The Corvette is dead accurate vs. the Malibu being pessimistic by about 1 mpg or more. Its like the C5 Vettes were. The C6's got it going on as far as accuracy is concerned. The Malibu also has instant at the moment mpg. Got both, though not as accurate as it should be. Just MHO.:)
Exactly, unless he's talking about something else.

The Instant MPG screen shows your mileage instantly, and the Average MPG shows you the average mileage SINCE you last reset it. You reset that average by holding Select when on that screen. I too do this when I get gas, as well as record & clear my trip readouts, and then compare my calculated mileage with the DIC average.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I think the DIC accuracy varies between drivers and driving conditions. So far my 08 normally reads a bit high (anywhere from .5 to 1.5 mpg, usually close to 1). I log my fuel economy on the EPA's fueleconomy.gov website, though I haven't recorded the numbers for the new car lately. I keep a logbook and calculator in my car that I use to manually record my results at every fillup, so I'll have to pull it out and punch the numbers in. I may also check out an account on the mpgtune website, depending on what features they have and how easy it is to use compared to the EPA site.

Anyway, a rough guess of my overall fuel economy (total combined for the almost 9000 miles on the car) is probably around 29 mpg, with a 90/10 mix of hwy/city conditions. This is an 08 LTZ V6.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i'm confused as to the size of the tank in these things...

it says it's a 16 gallon tank, but when i'm nearly empty and fill up (3rd time) it only ever takes 13.5 gallons...

what gives...?

·
Registered
66 Posts
My Avalanche is that way too. The Low Fuel light comes on and the DIC states only a 50 mile range but I can't pump more than 25 gallons on a 31 gallon tank. That gives me alot of play... however I rarely let any vehicle make it to a 1/4 tank before filling it up.

I don't mind, its better than my Pickup where you can fill it almost a 1/4 past the "F" and run to the first 1/4 tank last forever. After that you can watch it go down fast.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I finally logged my records to the EPA's fueleconomy.gov website, but for some reason right now my results aren't showing up when I go to the Shared MPG Estimates part of the site (yup, I DID choose to share my results). Mine are quite a bit higher than the 3 cars currently showing for 08 Malibu 3.6 V6s, most likely because most of my driving time is on the interstate, even if it is in the mountains here in western NC. My overall fuel economy so far is right at 29 mpg, while my last few tanks have been in the low 28's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.