Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Closing in on 80,000 miles on the clock and I am feeling the tranny slip a bit from time to time. I was told the fluid is good for 100k + But I want to replace the fluid anyway. Anyone know what type of fluid and how many quarts? Also, is there anything special to look out for. I just got finished with an 18q tranny fluid change on my F250 with Fords dealer only Mercon LV fluid. :eek: that was not cheap.

· CMF Veteran Member
1,413 Posts
If the problem can be reproduced reliably, then sure, but I doubt a warranty service is justified based on a claim that it feels like it "slip a bit from time to time" (not myself doubting Jakob's claim).

· Registered
72 Posts
If the problem can be reproduced reliably, then sure, but I doubt a warranty service is justified based on a claim that it feels like it "slip a bit from time to time" (not myself doubting Jakob's claim).
If the tranny slips the check engine light will come on and a code will be stored. The benefit of a fluid/filter trans service, would be to see what type of metal is in the pan and the screen. I a guessing the OP has a 4T45E transmission and not the 6 speed.

· Registered
143 Posts
Doesn't the manual say to change the fluid every 50k miles?

I've heard over the years that if you miss the changing intervals then to never change it, because changing 30k miles too late will only make things worse (that the old transmission fluid was holding everything together and replacing it would bring out the problems). Is this true?

· CMF Veteran Member
1,413 Posts
I think this came about because they used to flush and then fill. If anything, the solvent used was what ate into seals. Simply draining and refilling can only be beneficial by removing wear particles out of circulation.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry all, I have not been able to get onto this site for several days now, it has been moving really slow.

No there has never been a check engine light and it only slips for a second then all is good.

It might be another issue all together I only drive this car one or two days a week It has happened to me once but my wife has felt it three times. It also from time to time feels as if someone bumps you from behind but there is no one there.

Thanks for all the replies.

· Super Moderator
1,604 Posts
If you are at 80,000 miles with no transmission fluid changes, either flush or drain and fill, then the fluid itself it probably no good. It is recommended to be done at 50,000 miles under optimum conditions, I would have to say do the every 30,000 miles wince it is a lot cheaper to do than buying a transmission later. I prefer flushes over drain and fills since it get the fluid the is in the torque converter changed. If the trans doesn't shift properly it will affect gas mileage too. If a drain and fill is all that is done then the trans fluid will be dirty in no time at all since it doesn't get a majority of it changed. I would get it checked out by the dealer and if no problems are found or codes found then get the trans serviced and see how it drives.

· Registered
33 Posts
Anyone knows if the original tranny fluid is of the regular or synthetic type? I heard over the years, it was smoother shifting. No idea about effect on gas mileage.

· Super Moderator
1,604 Posts
I think Dexron VI is a synthetic blend, but I am not completely sure. The affects of old trans fluid on gas mileage is only due to the trans not shifting right, but generally only when the fluid gets bad enough to actually effect the tans operation.

· CMF Veteran Member
1,413 Posts
There almost has to be a synthetic component to meet the spec. However, I think only Valvoline currently has Dexron VI in a full synthetic formulation. Even Mobil DEXRON-VI is a blend.

· Registered
12 Posts
It's not recommended to flush the transmission or change fluid*except for severe duty*. The filter is not a general service item and not accessible for general service.

*With regards to 6 spd. Except for severe duty. I misunderstood the OP thinking he had a 6 spd and not 4 spd. Please follow recommendation of the owners manual.

· Registered
103 Posts
If it were me, I take it into your Chevrolet dealer for service. Your still under warranty, so any issues should be covered.

· Premium Member
350 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts

· Premium Member
350 Posts
Regarding my initial post in relation to the OP, I stand corrected. I thought he had an A6, and not an A4 as he has. My appologies.
I honestly wasn't looking for an apology, but I appreciate your comment. I value your opinion, as I do other members. And I may disagree from time to time, doesn't make me right nor you wrong. It's a (grown up :D) discussion. Pun not directed towards you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.