Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hard Downshifting and Delayed shifting. Shifts so hard it jerks the whole car, RPMS raise highly and excessive engine noise (as if I’m pressing the accelerator down hard) because of delayed shifting. Seems like I need a whole new transmission... never heard of problems with the 6 speed in the Malibu’s, I have in the impalas tho. Anyone else had any of these issues? I have a 2016 Chevy Malibu LT 1.5T with the 6 speed automatic. Has been getting progressively worse as time goes on.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,519 Posts
Your last discussion for a different issue (perhaps) never came to an end. You said it was going for diagnosis but I don't see any followup. What was the result of that? It sounds like your car needs some serious dealer time.

The shifts in the 3rd gen 6T40 can be felt a little on downshift but it is minor. Hard shifts that jerk the car I have not read of before. Is this car still around 40k miles?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also have a problem with the leaking on headliner and the trunk but decided not to make a thread about that since we’ve already seen many threads about it, I’m thinking about just trading it in all together.. car has 39500 miles

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,519 Posts
The headliner issue is a special program now covered to 72k. If the possible transmission issue is not tossing a code it may take time to manifest. It is also possible this is heading the way of the pedal position sensor issue. Who knows, would need diagnosis. When so many things need diagnosis you can't keep them straight (I can't) your idea of a trade might be a good idea.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No check engine lights or anything but accelerator pedal does make a strange noise sometime but still works normal, fingers crossed.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,955 Posts
Headliner leak will be covered, and if your 5 year powertrain warranty is still active, then they will fix that for you as well. At the very least they can offer you a reflash of your transmission program.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: after going to dealership and them test driving it, they couldn’t duplicate the problem but I was told that the previous owner did have to have the TCM replaced (according to the gm warrant claims data) so maybe it has something to do with that, have to take to second dealer for more troubleshooting... in other news, headliner problem will be resolved under warranty!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,519 Posts
Headliner/lamp is a +. The transmission issue seems unpleasant. My guess is the previous owner had the same problem you have and they replaced the TCM hoping to solve it. Or perhaps something is causing problems with the TCM over time and that something happened again. Good news powertrain warranty should (hopefully) cover whatever they find if transmission related. Good luck and thanks for updating.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Headliner/lamp is a +. The transmission issue seems unpleasant. My guess is the previous owner had the same problem you have and they replaced the TCM hoping to solve it. Or perhaps something is causing problems with the TCM over time and that something happened again. Good news powertrain warranty should (hopefully) cover whatever they find if transmission related. Good luck and thanks for updating.
Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 2016 Malibu LT 1.5 with 44k+ miles, bought it 3 months ago with 33k miles and has been having transmission problems here and there... At exactly 30k miles the previous owner had TCM replaced (Transmission Control Module) under warranty. I’ve been having problems with the transmission since getting the vehicle... delayed, hard shifting (downshifts hard enough to jerk the whole car), slipping, and when put in reverse it makes grinding noise and violently shakes the whole car occasionally. It acts it’s worst in cold weather but does it no matter the weather. The problem is it only does it every now and then but is starting to do it more and more often. Every time I take it to the dealer, they can never recreate/duplicate the problem... I’ve mentioned that the TCM was replaced according the paper of things repaired under warranty given to me by my local dealer but was told it could be anything. The previous owner lived in different state (8 hours away) so a different dealer than whom I go to and got car from replaced it. No check engine or anything btw. Car has been trouble free besides water leak and check engine light that cleared itself and never came back, though, if I can’t resolve transmission issue soon I will be trading in.. I do however know the dealership that replaced it and am thinking about contacting!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I dont know if you guys got your problems fixed, but I also had a problem where I lost all acceleration power, check engine light came on, "service stabilitrak" message popped up, teen driver automatically enabled, reduce power warning message popped up, and the transmission refused to shift out of the first gear, all one after another (So scary. haha).

This all happened around 41k miles, took it to the local Chevy dealership here in Springfield and I was in a loaner dealership vehicle (2019 Silverado unfortunately) for almost two weeks. Problem was that there was a faulty wire in the engine harness and the technician had to go wire by wire to find the bad wire, as well as replace the engine harness. Thankful for third party warranty that I highly recommend compared to Chevy's extended warranty, turned a $1000 job into only a $100 deductible. Have not had any issues since.
This is a post I wrote a couple months back. I had all of your symptoms in addition to what popped up on my screen. I thought it was potentially the transmission as well. It could potentially be a faulty wire in the engine harness. I have the paper work in my car so I can take a picture or type out the exact wording in a little bit if you'd like.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is a post I wrote a couple months back. I had all of your symptoms in addition to what popped up on my screen. I thought it was potentially the transmission as well. It could potentially be a faulty wire in the engine harness. I have the paper work in my car so I can take a picture or type out the exact wording in a little bit if you'd like.
Wow seems like a bit of a job was done, I can mention this to dealer, thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts