Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has 97,000 miles on it and I need to change the transmission fluid. Not sure if its been changed before, but I think its time. Should I go to Meineke and get the transmission flush using the cleaner kit or should I drop the pan and have it done without using the machine?

·
Registered
173 Posts
My car has 97,000 miles on it and I need to change the transmission fluid. Not sure if its been changed before, but I think its time. Should I go to Meineke and get the transmission flush using the cleaner kit or should I drop the pan and have it done without using the machine?
I'd drop the pan and change the filter. Use Dexron 6 (VI) tranny fluid. Most people dont even change the motor oil on time, so i doubt its ever been changed.

·
Administrator
17,129 Posts
I'd drop the pan and change the filter. Use Dexron 6 (VI) tranny fluid. Most people dont even change the motor oil on time, so i doubt its ever been changed.
You posted in the Gen7 section but didn't specify which transmission you have.

If you have the 6-speed, there is no pan. If you have the 3.6L V6, the 6-speed transmission has a drain plug in an odd location but it's easy to find and use. By "odd", I mean that it's very small, not like the obvious drain plug for the oil pan. If you have the 2.4L I4, the 6-speed transmission has 2 plugs for filling and draining, located on the side of the case. Search this site and/or the internet and you'll find pictures showing their location.

If you have the 4-speed transmission, I think it has a pan. If it does then I agree that you should drop the pan and change the filter.

No matter which one you have, use a top-quality fluid. It's only a little more expensive and you may need to do it only 1 or 2 more times before you no longer own or operate the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for responding Chevyman. I don't think the filter is accessible unless removing the entire transmission. I have the 2.4 6 speed transmission.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for responding Driven. I have the 2.4 engine with 6 speed transmission 2012 Malibu. My question is would it be okay to do a flush or should this be done manually? I get mixed opinions on that subject.

·
Administrator
17,129 Posts
I can't say for sure, but I keep hearing that the "power flushes" can be harmful and I believe that even GM advises against it, although I could be mistaken.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
No car Mfr. approves "flushing" machines or their use in their vehicles including GM. Pan and filter drops or just fluid drops are all that are approved across the board.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just talked with the service writer about flushing my 2011 2.4L Malibu, he suggested it. I saw somewhere on this forum that it's O.K. if they have the Bosh system. My dealer does. The only thing I don't like is the price. $194 😒Of course the service writer's get a commission just like the salesman on the other end. He wants to do the fuel system also. I told him about the throttle body cleaning, he said that was extra. This oil change and the extra's is going to cost big $. Oh, and he advised the tranny flush every 30,000. Might be good preventative maintenance.

·
Administrator
17,129 Posts
You can also do it yourself for the price of the fluid.

Drain, fill, drive the oil to an auto parts store for recycling.

The issue is that the 4-cylinder version of the transmission doesn't have a proper filler cap or dipstick like the V6 version does, which is what I own. That makes it a bit more difficult, maybe enough so that you'll find it more convenient to just pay for the service.

TB cleaning is easy to DIY. Take the intake tube off, spray a rag with cleaner, wipe the TB plate and throat. At most, you'll spend 15-20 minutes, and that might include taking pics to share or document it.

Trans fluid can be done every 30K, but there are others on here such as @repairman54 who'll suggest a different interval. He has some really good input, so if he stops by, listen to him! I did mine at 105K, then 3 more times at 128K, 133K, and 140K. By the law of averages, that meant that it was at 50% new-to-old on the first time, then 75%, 88%, and finally 94%. My next change will be around 190K, or 50K more miles.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yeah, but I'm an old guy DrivenDaily, I used to get out and get under, but no more. I leave it to the mechanics. I called an oil change shop, but when I said, "no dipstick tube", they said "we don't do those". I would assume you could stretch out the change to maybe 50K if you did a flush? I bought the car "Certified" from my dealer and had a leak in the tranny, after a couple of visits and replacement of the gasket material between the transmission halves, it was fixed. That was at 30,000. I have 70,000 now and thought it about due. Guess I'll pay out the $ for it. Cheaper than a car payment. :)

·
Administrator
17,129 Posts
Sounds like the right choice in your circumstances.

Come back by and let us know how it went, then after some miles let us know if it seems to shift any better.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes, I certainly will. It shifts fine now, I hope I won't disturb anything. :rolleyes: I've got about 1K to go before I take it to the dealer. They do a great job, and I've never had a problem. If I did, I'm sure they would make it right. That's one reason I would buy another Chevy from them. I've been eyeing a 2016 Malibu Premier.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Trans service, well going by the Severe service maintenance schedule is your best bet for longevity. My '09 4 sp. car acquired at 75k got a immediate pan drop and filter when I bought it. Trans. serviced every 50k miles after that, sold it at 189k to a friend and it's still on the road even though it will not get the love I gave it. Wife's Equinox gets the 6 sp drain plug no accessible filter service every 45k miles. My current '15 2.5 6 sp car got a back to back 200 mile change at 75k when I got it and will get another at it's next oil change to get it up my standard as it's fluid was black when I first drained it. Full synth. fluids only in my fleet BTW.
DO NOT FLUSH or let any shop flush a trans. GM says no to flushing in their shop manuals. All a flush does is pump the internal junk from one end to the trans to the other and/or introduce crap from another one's trans. . Don't think a shop worries about ''cross transfusion'' for a minute about your vehicle or pumping in a universal fluid. Flush machine is a cash cow, only thing that should be flushed is the trans. cooler when a trans. is being replaced due to a failure.
As a side note I may be old but WFO operation of my fleet happens on a regular basis. Light turns green the hammers down until I'm in front or the others got more motor or testicular circumference which ever comes first. Usually it's motor....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts