Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone. My 2014 LS currently has 89,500 miles on it. I was thinking that I should drain and replace the transmission fluid, between now and 100,000 miles.

I've searched around for any information or tutorials on this subject, but was not successful. I would appreciate any info or guidance you could provide. Thanks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The manual for my 15 malibu says 2 service the transmission every 45k. U need 2 take it 2 a shop tht can connect a machine 2 the trans cooler lines to flush the system.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I no longer feel bad about already putting 32K miles on my 2014!!!!!

How'd you rack up 89K already?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I no longer feel bad about already putting 32K miles on my 2014!!!!!

How'd you rack up 89K already?
Simple. I have a daily, 180 mile, round trip commute.

Well I called a local shop about the service. I was told to see if my vehicle has a dipstick. If it does not, I would have to have the service performed by the dealer. Is this accurate?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,354 Posts
Depends on whether you wanna get dirty and/or how much time you have.

Basically you remove one of the trans fluid cooling lines that go to the radiator and extend both of them into a catch pan, then start the engine and keep pouring trans fluid in the top while the lines purge all the old stuff. When it runs out nice and clean shut it off, restore the cooling lines, and check for leaks.

Then drive. But you already do that . . . ;)

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Damn you guys put a lot of miles on. Our 2013 was just shy of 22,000 miles.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I was quoted $262 for a transmission flush from my local dealer :eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
WOW my 13 Malibu has only 38,000 and my 12 Silverado only 56,000 never thought I should see a 14 with almost 100,000. Hope it get to a million.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Depends on whether you wanna get dirty and/or how much time you have.

Basically you remove one of the trans fluid cooling lines that go to the radiator and extend both of them into a catch pan, then start the engine and keep pouring trans fluid in the top while the lines purge all the old stuff. When it runs out nice and clean shut it off, restore the cooling lines, and check for leaks.

Then drive. But you already do that . . .
This sounds interesting. I don't mind getting dirty, but won't I have to measure the amount of fluid I drain from the transmission?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,354 Posts
You'll be pumping it out and chasing it with new fluid until it comes out clean. There is a method for properly filling the trans. In the Gen7 4-cylinder, which does not come with a filler cap/dipstick (WTF?!?) you have to remove the upper of 2 plugs on the side of the trans while the vehicle meets all of the following conditions:
1. The transmission is fully warmed up,
2. The vehicle is level and supported on jackstands, a lift, or other device(s),
3. The engine is running.

Then you fill the trans until it starts to run out of the hole, put the plug back in, and shut the engine off.

The method sounds an awful lot like a manual trans, only worse, since the engine has to be running.

At least the Gen7 V6 has a fill cap so you don't have to crawl under a running engine! Sheesh!

Your vehicle may use the same method or one that is similar. Check the manual or check online for one.

·
Registered
282 Posts
IDK that pouring Dexron VI in to purge the lines is cost effective. What I do is simply pull the small drain plug at bottom of trans once each year. That will drain half of the total volume. I then refill through the fill plug on top. I also am pretty sure the factory interval is not 45000 miles.

My advice for the OP is to have the full flush done due to the miles. Avoid the dealer and that price should come way down.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
IDK that pouring Dexron VI in to purge the lines is cost effective. What I do is simply pull the small drain plug at bottom of trans once each year. That will drain half of the total volume. I then refill through the fill plug on top. I also am pretty sure the factory interval is not 45000 miles.

My advice for the OP is to have the full flush done due to the miles. Avoid the dealer and that price should come way down.
I'm going to check the car this weekend. If there is a drain plug, I'll drain the fluid, measure the amount and replace it with new fluid. I'll run it for a week and repeat.

The issue I'm having is my local shops say they can't perform the service if I do not have a dipstick. Which I don't.

Edit:I spoke to a shop. They said they could perform the service, however if the fluid has any discoloration, I should not service the transmission. Is this accurate?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I would ignore that shop. If you DIY it will drain exactly 4 qts. Good luck

·
Registered
277 Posts
Page 11-12 in the Malibu's Owners Manual:
Automatic Transmission - DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid
Also Normal Service schedule says to change Transmission fluid at 90,000 miles.
Severe service schedule says 45,000 miles. Severe seems to classified as commercial use.

·
Registered
282 Posts
My 15 owners manual shows no service under the normal section. It does show the 45k interval for severe service.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I did the service myself. I pulled the drain plug from the bottom of the tranny. It emptied 4.5 quarts (measured), and I replaced it with 4.5 quarts of Dexron VI blend. I plan on doing this weekly until the fluid drains red. The car seemed to shift more smooth than before the service. I guess this could be placebo.

My manual states this service should be performed at 97,500 miles normal, and 45,000 miles severe.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well I did the service myself. I pulled the drain plug from the bottom of the tranny. It emptied 4.5 quarts (measured), and I replaced it with 4.5 quarts of Dexron VI blend. I plan on doing this weekly until the fluid drains red. The car seemed to shift more smooth than before the service. I guess this could be placebo.

My manual states this service should be performed at 97,500 miles normal, and 45,000 miles severe.
Unless you drive a lot of miles in a week, I think I'd change it on a monthly basis or every 5000 miles for 2 more changes. That would have you down around 1/8 of the original fluid left in the mix.

I'd feel more comfortable if I could use the side plug to check for full level at the end of that. I understand that you're measuring and replacing, but I'd just like to know it's full hot and running and level.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Interesting that the reference to the 100000 mile change was removed from the 2015 manual. Oversight or intentional?

1 - 20 of 180 Posts