Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

181 - 187 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm thinking of changing the Transmission Fluid on my son's 2008 2.5L Malibu. I see Amazon has two ACDelco Dexron VI of what-looks-like the same product in two different containers, with two different product numbers, and two different prices.

1.) 10-9395 (88865602) is a 1-gallon container for $21.88

2.) 10-9243 (88865549) is a 1-quart container for $6.73 (or $26.92/gallon)

Outwardly, it looks like #1 is conventional fluid while #2 is Synthetic, but "Wes Watt" left a Review with a picture of the back label of #1, and it says "Full Synthetic" there (although not on the front label).

3.) There's also 10-9394 (88865601) for $12.03/Qt !! Again ... no mention of "Synthetic" on the front label. Somebody claimed in the Answers section this is a "Synthetic-Blend" fluid, but if that's true ... why is it so expensive? "Blend" should be less expensive than full synthetic!

UPDATE:

4.) Also 10-9030 (88861954) 1 Gal, $28.25. Apparently not Synthetic. Back label seems to indicate "not for Equinox", but this might mean the 1st gen Equinox (since it also mentions older models like the Vibe)? This must be a very old formulation that is still available?

Very confusing with all these different "Dexron VI" fluids...

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm thinking of changing the Transmission Fluid on my son's 2008 2.5L Malibu. I see Amazon has two ACDelco Dexron VI of what-looks-like the same product in two different containers, with two different product numbers, and two different prices.

1.) 10-9395 (88865602) is a 1-gallon container for $21.88

2.) 10-9243 (88865549) is a 1-quart container for $6.73 (or $26.92/gallon)

Outwardly, it looks like #1 is conventional fluid while #2 is Synthetic, but "Wes Watt" left a Review with a picture of the back label of #1, and it says "Full Synthetic" there (although not on the front label).

3.) There's also 10-9394 (88865601) for $12.03/Qt !! Again ... no mention of "Synthetic" on the front label. Somebody claimed in the Answers section this is a "Synthetic-Blend" fluid, but if that's true ... why is it so expensive? "Blend" should be less expensive than full synthetic!

UPDATE:

4.) Also 10-9030 (88861954) 1 Gal, $28.25. Apparently not Synthetic. Back label seems to indicate "not for Equinox", but this might mean the 1st gen Equinox (since it also mentions older models like the Vibe)? This must be a very old formulation that is still available?

Very confusing with all these different "Dexron VI" fluids...
I use 10-9395. Full synthetic and a great price. Sometimes it goes under $20

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
I buy Amalie full synth. Dex VI on line by the case from Amazon. Been using it in my GM fleet for a while now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I changed the fluid on mine yesterday at 30k. It's a '17 but it has the same 6T40. So I ran it up on homemade ramps, which makes it level on my slightly downhill driveway, and did the first drain and refill cold, slightly over 4 qts. came out. I used a rubbermaid clear plastic measured container I found on Amazon for a drain pan. The fluid was brown but not too bad, then I put 4 qts. of ACDelco 10-9243 full synthetic back in. Then I drove it around for 25 miles, a few hills and some stop and go, and put it back up on the ramps. I drained it again but warm this time, and slightly under 4 qts. came out. So I put another 4 qts. in and drove to the local auto parts to recycle the waste oil. When I got home from that I put it back on the ramps and checked the level, the trans was good and warm, engine idling, and about 1/4 cup came out before it started dripping, then put the check plug back in. I didn't have to take the tire off, the plug is easily accessible with a 7/16" wrench. I had to wear a glove to handle the hot plug, just one of those nitrile blue ones from CVS, but everything went fine. I'm pretty neurotic about maintenance, so I wanted to get the original oil out of there before the severe schedule, which is 45k. I'm planning on doing this every 30k, even though I don't drive the car very hard. It was much easier than I expected and not too expensive if you DIY.

181 - 187 of 187 Posts