Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

141 - 160 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Second drain after 1K miles driving. I seemed to get more out this time almost 5qts. I had put in 4.6qts last time. While it was draining, I took out the jack to level the car. I also waited longer this time until it stopped dripping.
The color did not look much different from last change. It is supposed 50new 50 old for this drain.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just FYI, I did a drain and fill back to back with this fluid from Amazon. It is a FULL synthetic, it is NOT a blend. It worked well, I did back to back drain and fills at 50,000 miles and I noticed my transmission shifted a little smoother. I plan on doing one drain and fill every 25,000 miles as long as I own the car. Mine is a 2015 LS.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I’m honestly getting confused.

My 2013 Malibu 2.5 auto.

Now I see a lot are using the Dexron VI.

I see AC Delco or Valvoline?

They are both fully Synthetic. The Valvoline Max Life I bought is also fully Synthetic. I only did one drain and fill with it. At about 43.000, just a 1000 miles ago.

But I want to do it again, and if changing out to a different fluid, if I should?

Then two drain and fills.

Are we supposed to be using a Synthetic Blend? What came in our cars? I’m so confused. I would like to do it over the weekend here.

And... Does super tech make a Dex 6?

Also is this okay? It’s Dex 6 but says Synthetic Blend?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-TRANSMAX-DEXRON-VI-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-1-QT/139356746

I’m sorry I want to do this tomorrow morning then Sunday again

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
the Dexron VI spec is a synthetic blend but there are full synthetic products that meet or exceed the Dexron VI spec...I had mine done (on my Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon) and the dealership used a synthetic blend...I believe the dealership also used a Mobil product (since the paper carpet saver said they were proud to use Mobil products)...

I've had no transmission issues in almost two years but only 12K plus miles...

Good luck with your choice

Bill

·
Registered
98 Posts
the Dexron VI spec is a synthetic blend but there are full synthetic products that meet or exceed the Dexron VI spec...I had mine done (on my Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon) and the dealership used a synthetic blend...I believe the dealership also used a Mobil product (since the paper carpet saver said they were proud to use Mobil products)...

I've had no transmission issues in almost two years but only 12K plus miles...

Good luck with your choice

Bill
I bought the Valvoline Max Life, and just did one drain and fill a few months ago at 44,000 miles. Seemed okay I guess. I only owned mine since about 38,000.

Wished I could have used the Max life, I have more. But I’m afraid to use it again after reading a few posts.

So I figure Dex 6, but some say semi, and some say fully. Quite confusing. Which one? Because the max life is fully synthetic.

I’m going to make a decision and do it shortly here.

My confusion is doing the fluid level check. When pulling check level plug, wether to do it with car running or turned off, I know in park, warned up. But running or not when pulling the check plug?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Okay, I got mine done today. I had put Max Life in at 38,000 miles, and was concerned due to others not liking it either. And I didn't notice anything.

I drained mine out today, 4 3/4 quarts came out. Mine was like dark pink, not black though. :smile:

Put in Castrol Dex VI, "Synthetic Blend", not Full Syn. I am pleased so far.

I got the car hot from driving, then drained, and refilled with 4 3/4 qts. Then took her back out, and drove her about 5 or 6 miles. Shifts seemed okay to me. Slightly better, but who knows, but felt fine.

Brought her back, got her up in the air, leveled car. Pulled the left front wheel, "left it running", and pulled the CHECK plug on the side. Out come fluid! I measured, it was 10 ounces that came out. Slightly overfilled.

I knew I didn't trust my drain pan level marks. Its a liar. :rolleyes:

Then stopped dripping. I buttoned it up and out for another ride.

Okay is this a placebo effect? My car shifted better. I know it can't be my imagination.

1-2 always felt smooth, but 2-3 always seemed a bit firm, but nothing to worry about. Just weird. After about 2 miles, I noticed 2-3 was much smoother. As in.... I had to look at the tach to know it shifted! :surprise:

How can that be? Like wow! :grin:

Okay, I am doing it again next weekend, to do a second drain and fill. I guess I will have gotten like 70% or something, not sure. Then every 10,000 for me. Which will be every 1 1/2 years. Well that was my outcome!

·
Banned
617 Posts
if you read the link to earlier discussion on bobistheoilguy, Mola a pro notes when they say blend in this case it means a mix of group III fake legally synthetic + real synthetic PAO + ester bases. be also notes that costlier real synthetics like Redline keep things cleaner, last longer + do better in very cold or very hot climates. i also remember at least some PAO in the blend is needed to meet the Dex VI spec

·
Registered
98 Posts
if you read the link to earlier discussion on bobistheoilguy, Mola a pro notes when they say blend in this case it means a mix of group III fake legally synthetic + real synthetic PAO + ester bases. be also notes that costlier real synthetics like Redline keep things cleaner, last longer + do better in very cold or very hot climates. i also remember at least some PAO in the blend is needed to meet the Dex VI spec
Was it okay with what I used? I seen others using the Dex 6 and had good luck with it. I seen some with the Full Synthetic, Max Life, had trouble, more or less.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Absolutely do not follow the maintenance schedule concerning transmission fluid change.

I think it should be done every 30,000 miles however I've been doing it almost every oil change for the past 5 oil changes.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Absolutely do not follow the maintenance schedule concerning transmission fluid change.

I think it should be done every 30,000 miles however I've been doing it almost every oil change for the past 5 oil changes.
Thats what I plan on doing. Once a year, just one drain and fill, after the initial two drain and fills. I did my first around 40k, I had no choice, my car had 38k when I got it.

Hows yours look when draining it now? And your mileage? Yours should be shifting nice doing that!

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
have you read of a lot of transmission failures???...I haven't...by all means, if it makes you feel better change the fluid every weekend...because that's normal...

I have read of those changing their fluid earlier than the recommended service intervals and saying the fluid was dark or black but still no transmission failures...then there are those who change their fluid far more often and are reporting...the color isn't dark following their own extreme change interval...

It's your car...follow your own feelings on when you should do anything if you don't like the intervals the engineers came up with...

Good luck with your choice...

Bill

·
Registered
98 Posts
have you read of a lot of transmission failures???...I haven't...by all means, if it makes you feel better change the fluid every weekend...because that's normal...

I have read of those changing their fluid earlier than the recommended service intervals and saying the fluid was dark or black but still no transmission failures...then there are those who change their fluid far more often and are reporting...the color isn't dark following their own extreme change interval...

It's your car...follow your own feelings on when you should do anything if you don't like the intervals the engineers came up with...

Good luck with your choice...

Bill
I didn’t get paranoid until reading about dark fluid, however I never did honestly read of failures now that you bring it up!

Just last night I did read an article, I can find it again if needed, that something about the fluid they used, has a dark color to it, or something caused it to look that way. I would have to find it again and post it. That it wasn’t a concern.

But I honestly don’t like having a flush done. I read and seen some sketchy things after it’s done.

But then again I’m not an expert on this so.

·
Administrator
17,324 Posts
My simple suggestion is to change the fluid every 50K. That leaves you about 10K more miles before you would do it.

I bought mine at 56K and kept procrastinating on changing it until 104K finally rolled around. I have 133K now and have done it twice since. My plan was to get somewhere around 90% of it changed out, and I'm at 87.5% now if you figure 3 changes netting 50% of the old oil each time.

1st time=50%, 2nd=75%, 3rd=87.5%.

I'm happy for the next 50K miles or so.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My simple suggestion is to change the fluid every 50K. That leaves you about 10K more miles before you would do it.

I bought mine at 56K and kept procrastinating on changing it until 104K finally rolled around. I have 133K now and have done it twice since. My plan was to get somewhere around 90% of it changed out, and I'm at 87.5% now if you figure 3 changes netting 50% of the old oil each time.

1st time=50%, 2nd=75%, 3rd=87.5%.

I'm happy for the next 50K miles or so.
So I only got 50% so far. I’ll be doing my second one soon.

These cars do go quit a few miles? Your at 133k. I don’t know if you have the 2.5, hopefully these go for a while, with no major problems. I meant the motors. I’m at almost 45k, put on about
7-8k a year.

·
Administrator
17,324 Posts
So I only got 50% so far. I’ll be doing my second one soon.

These cars do go quit a few miles? Your at 133k. I don’t know if you have the 2.5, hopefully these go for a while, with no major problems. I meant the motors. I’m at almost 45k, put on about
7-8k a year.
I have a Gen7 3.6L V6 with the 6T60 transmission.

6 = 6-speed.
T = Transverse-mounted, aka FWD.
60 = Some kind of rating by the mfr on its relative strength. Compare that to the 2.4L of the same year that uses a 6T40 or 6T45, depending who you ask.

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
The 6T70 is a heavier duty transmission as it is/was built in Michigan by superior skilled workers. The 6T40 for NA vehicles is built in Ohio by less capable and often jealous Ohio residents (haha).

I'll spare everyone my Yes! Michigan video.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I’m hoping that this 2013, 2.5, it has a six speed transmission so I am not sure which one it is. I hope I get some longevity out of it, I am very easy on my cars and I’m a maintenance freak. I guess time will tell.

141 - 160 of 180 Posts