Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

161 - 179 of 179 Posts

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
The 6T70 is a heavier duty transmission as it is/was built in Michigan by superior skilled workers. The 6T40 for NA vehicles is built in Ohio by less capable and often jealous Ohio residents (haha).

I'll spare everyone my Yes! Michigan video.
Does mine have the 6T60 or 6T70, then? I was under the impression it was what I posted, but ...

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
@Streetsleeper - you have the 6T40 (2nd gen I think)

@DrivenDaily - you have the 6T70 (at least I think)

Here are some powertrain guides if I can make links on mobile today:
https://gmpowertrain.com/Libraries/Product_information/2011_Product_Information_Guide.sflb.ashx
https://gmpowertrain.com/Libraries/Product_information/2013_4FRev_Information_Guide_091012.sflb.ashx

6-speeds for everyone!
Oh crap I just scrolled back to your message. I have the junk tranny?

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
Lol. It's not junk. I am being cheaky as I am from Michigan. The 6T40 is just a lighter duty transmission better matched to the modest horsepower and torque of your 2.5L (and my little 1.5T). The 6T70 is just built a little tougher to handle higher torque of the 3.6 or even the 2.0T back in gen8. Naturally Michigan residents build the 6T70 and Ohio residents build the 6T40, hopefully with oversight and help from their friends to the north.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Lol. It's not junk. I am being cheaky as I am from Michigan. The 6T40 is just a lighter duty transmission better matched to the modest horsepower and torque of your 2.5L (and my little 1.5T). The 6T70 is just built a little tougher to handle higher torque of the 3.6 or even the 2.0T back in gen8. Naturally Michigan residents build the 6T70 and Ohio residents build the 6T40, hopefully with oversight and help from their friends to the north.
Ohhh okay, Now I feel better! Yeah I think mine only has about 195hp, or so. Probably low torque. I am too lazy to look it up. :grin:

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
According to GM, the 2013 2.5L has 197 HP/191 Tq. Here.

The 2.0T has 259/260.

The eAssist 2.4L ICE has 182/172 and the electric motor contributes another 15/79, for a total of 197/249.

On paper, the eAssist looks to be a fair match to the 2.5L on the road, and a fair match off the line to the 2.0T. I wonder how it actually stacks up, but I digress. Thread is returned to its subject. :nerd:

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
@Streetsleeper - you have the 6T40 (2nd gen I think)

@DrivenDaily - you have the 6T70 (at least I think)

Here are some powertrain guides if I can make links on mobile today:
https://gmpowertrain.com/Libraries/Product_information/2011_Product_Information_Guide.sflb.ashx
https://gmpowertrain.com/Libraries/Product_information/2013_4FRev_Information_Guide_091012.sflb.ashx

6-speeds for everyone!
Well, it feels good to know that I just graduated from a 60 to a 70. I don't know how you come up with all of these fact sheets, but keep 'em comin'! And thank you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
have you read of a lot of transmission failures???...I haven't...by all means, if it makes you feel better change the fluid every weekend...because that's normal...

I have read of those changing their fluid earlier than the recommended service intervals and saying the fluid was dark or black but still no transmission failures...then there are those who change their fluid far more often and are reporting...the color isn't dark following their own extreme change interval...

It's your car...follow your own feelings on when you should do anything if you don't like the intervals the engineers came up with...

Good luck with your choice...

Bill
It's so easy to do the transmission drain and fill why wouldn't you do it? When I do an oil drain I do the transmission drain at the same time with another catch pan. $25 for 5 qts.

Now that I have performed a few I'm going to back off every 30,000 miles (about 2 yrs of driving).

I'm a mechanical engineer and engineers aren't always right. :smile:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have one more drain infill to do on mine the following weekend. I’m going to do a YouTube clip on it though, because people show where the little 11mm bolt is on the side of the transmission for checking the level. To see if it’s full or needs more. But no one is really showing it in action, so I might as well do a video with it in action.

At least people will be able to see how to properly check it after you do the drain and fill.

In fact I’m going to start having quite a few videos. There’s just not much for the Gen 8 on YouTube. Maybe some of the things I’ve already done I will redo just for a videos.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I bought a 2015 Malibu from a lot and the guy tells me the trans line popped off and he added fluid to it well today I check with the check hole and a half of oil pan full comes out ,I'm new to the sealed trans i had the car level and warm also running now the fluid looks to be a dark red or burgundy should I just drain and refill looks like most say this takes 4.5 quarts. Or should I leave it for now? Any advice would be great

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
Did you check it using the bottom or top hole? The bottom is to drain it, the top is to check/fill it. Dumb question, but we gotta get specifics first or we could be chasing our tails all day long...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've read through this whole thread and have one question...

When you drain out the hot fluid...you are then refilling the same amount with relatively COLD fluid. Does this matter? I dont know the level of expansion that takes place but just wondered if we should be concerned with this aspect.

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
Every drain and fill I have done, all 2 times and never on a Malibu, I put exactly the same in and that came out with no accommodation for temp. Haven't had a tranny fail yet! Of course I had dipsticks to verify... But it was right where it should be regardless.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Every drain and fill I have done, all 2 times and never on a Malibu, I put exactly the same in and that came out with no accommodation for temp. Haven't had a tranny fail yet! Of course I had dipsticks to verify... But it was right where it should be regardless.
Sounds good, thanks for the input!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've read through this whole thread and have one question...

When you drain out the hot fluid...you are then refilling the same amount with relatively COLD fluid. Does this matter? I don't know the level of expansion that takes place but just wondered if we should be concerned with this aspect.
Drain out cold.
Refill cold.

161 - 179 of 179 Posts