Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2014 malibu 1lt with 57k miles it now has 72k miles gm says to change the transmission fluid every 45k miles? Would it be a good idea to jack the car up unbolt the tranny plug drain what fluid comes out and change the filter ? I’m not sure if the previous owner even changed it at the 45k mark.

·
Administrator
16,881 Posts
It would be good to change it.

When buying a used car, there are those who recommend changing all of the fluids in the car just so you'll have a baseline from which to operate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

When buying a used car, there are those who recommend changing all of the fluids in the car just so you'll have a baseline from which to operate.
Ok I was thinking the same thing I was just a lil precaution on changing it and something happening, I probably shouldn’t flush it ? I should just drain whatever comes out and fill it with the exact that came out

·
Registered
92 Posts

Ok I was thinking the same thing I was just a lil precaution on changing it and something happening, I probably shouldn’t flush it ? I should just drain whatever comes out and fill it with the exact that came out
Yes, you should do exactly that (drain and fill) and you should be fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
On my 2012 Malibu it says the trans. filter is internal and not easily accessible. Not for a do it yourselfer.

·
Administrator
16,881 Posts
On my 2012 Malibu it says the trans. filter is internal and not easily accessible. Not for a do it yourselfer.
The "filter" is just a screen that is trapped between the two case halves. It can be serviced only when disassembling the transmission.

Just do a drain and fill. Most of the time, it is recommended to follow the owner's manual, but it says not to worry about the trans fluid for a long, long time. Change it every 50K, or every 30K if you do a lot of city driving. Or ask a trusted mechanic who knows how to properly treat a lady, er, car. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts