Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Malibu LT 2.4L 4-cylinder Imperial Blue Metallic
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve noticed when I’m on a slight incline and put it into reverse and I hear a clunk and the car jerks backwards. Sometimes it’s even worse where when I put it into reverse I have to give it some gas for it to shift and when I do that, it makes a louder clunk and jerks backwards more violently. Could this be a sign the transmission is going bad?

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Mileage? Was the trans. fluid ever changed? Any signs of trans. leaking? If so level may be low.

·
Registered
2010 Malibu 1LS Mocha Steel Metallic
63 Posts
^seconding this. Fluid level and condition is the first thing I'd check, especially if its never been changed. The 4 speed is pretty easy to do fluid and filter changes on, and there's a few people who have posted in the forum already with how-to's for checking the level, and doing pan drop and drain/refills. If you do end up doing a fluid change, 100% make sure to change the filter too as GM recommends doing that with every change.

It also could be a shift solenoid going bad, or something with the TCM. Though my expertise with those is absolutely 0, so I'd defer that to further searches on the forum to diagnose if that could be the issue.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve noticed when I’m on a slight incline and put it into reverse and I hear a clunk and the car jerks backwards. Sometimes it’s even worse where when I put it into reverse I have to give it some gas for it to shift and when I do that, it makes a louder clunk and jerks backwards more violently. Could this be a sign the transmission is going bad?
Here’s a link to the video of what’s happening Trans stuff

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
At that mileage all you can do is a drain and fill of the trans. fluid and hope for the best since it's never been serviced.
Measure how much comes out and put that amount back in with an extra 5-6 ounces.
If that helps it, do it again to get more of the old fluid out.
Delayed engagement is a sign of low internal fluid pressure in the trans. which is usually transmission rebuild time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At that mileage all you can do is a drain and fill of the trans. fluid and hope for the best since it's never been serviced.
Measure how much comes out and put that amount back in with an extra 5-6 ounces.
If that helps it, do it again to get more of the old fluid out.
Delayed engagement is a sign of low internal fluid pressure in the trans. which is usually transmission rebuild time.
I don’t know what oil to use. Any ideas

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Transmission fluid that says Dexron VI on the label and only Dexron VI, nothing else.
If you have never done this consult a friend who has or take it to someone. By keeping on driving it you will blow it up with it slamming into gear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts