Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 55,718 Miles on my 2016 Malibu, I just did the recommended Transmission flush. The problem is now my car is shifting hard ( It Never Had and issue until the flush). I took it back to have it looked at and was told everything looked fine. It is still shifting hard and I am at a loss on what i should do. I have even thought about just trading it in and getting another brand of car. I am so frustrated. I loved my car up until this point . Please any advice would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,924 Posts
Your post has not listed the trim level, engine, or transmission. Please supply additional information.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The Flush Should NOT be recommended by the Dealer ANYMORE! A few months ago GM released a TSB stating that their dealers do NOT do Flushes anymore, including the once approved Bosch Fluid exchanger for exactly the reason your having here,,, Im sure one of the Moderator nerds will get you a copy of the TSB to show you dealer they F'ed up!

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,444 Posts
From bulletin 04-06-01-029J dated March 2020:

The use of external transmission fluid exchange or
flush machines is not recommended for the automatic
or manual transmission. Use of external machines to
replace the fluid may affect the operation or durability of
the transmission. Transmission fluid should only be

replaced by draining and refilling following procedures
in Service Information (SI).

Source: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10173416-9999.pdf

Not too long ago I did my first ever transmission drain and fill considering my dealer wants $400 to do the full drain and fill procedure now advised. I thought it was sorta fun.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,924 Posts
A Malibu LT is almost always a 1.5T/6-speed automatic, I think we can safely assume that's the case here. If the car doesn't "learn" to shift more smoothly over the next tank of gas, then the dealership who did your transmission fluid change messed something up, whether it's the wrong fluid, underfilled, or it was a powered trans flush and something was damaged.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
OP'er, where did you have the work done on your transmission???...hopefully moving up the line with your transmissions issue complaint will get it settled for you

Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 55,718 Miles on my 2016 Malibu, I just did the recommended Transmission flush. The problem is now my car is shifting hard ( It Never Had and issue until the flush). I took it back to have it looked at and was told everything looked fine. It is still shifting hard and I am at a loss on what i should do. I have even thought about just trading it in and getting another brand of car. I am so frustrated. I loved my car up until this point . Please any advice would be appreciated.
Take it to dealer ASAP. Transmission warranty is 5 years. 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's interesting (but not surprising) that General Motor's authorized factory service dealers are contradicting General Motor's own recommendations concerning transmission flushes. This was first receommended to me on my 2004 Malibu LT with 3.5L V6 and 4sp Automatic engine about 5 years ago.

That's when I discovered Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) No. 04-06-01-029G dated September 27, 2012 which applies to all of their 2013 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks:

The use of external transmission fluid exchange or flush machines is not recommended for the automatic or manual transmission. Use of external machines to replace the fluid may affect the operation or durability of the transmission. Transmission fluid should only be replaced by draining and refilling following procedures in Service Information (SI).

General Motors has been issuing that same advice for YEARS. They update the bulletin to add the new model years. It is absolutely shameful that GM dealers are disregarding GM's strongly worded advice for profit with no concern for their client.

Your car is under warranty and at the least you have a case with GM in that the dealer has very likely caused the issue. Good luck.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,444 Posts
@SBLfromNS It actually gets even more complicated. Following that old bulletin you referenced from 2012 GM changed the SI procedures and guidance to include the flushing by cooler lines using a specific tool. They stated "Approved Transmission Flushing Tool (Transmission Cooler Only) The Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Flow Check and Flush Tool IS recommended for GM vehicles. Refer to Transmission Fluid Cooler Flow Check and Flush in the Service Information website using the J-45096." Those changes appear in bulletin revision H (2015) and I (2017 example here). Then they go back to not recommending the cooler line method again in revision J. It seems to go back and forth over the years. My guess is they know draining and filling is the safest method but dealers push back because it takes longer and only replaces 50% or less of the fluid. My dealer is still using the cooler line method unless you specifically request a drain and fill. The price for the cooler line method is $200 and drain and fill is $400. You know which one they sell most.

·
Registered
34 Posts
When who ever did the flush was the transmission fluid measured.and put back in. And did who ever also take out the fluid level plug. To make sure the level was up.One more thing was the car level front to back and side to side. When checking the fill plug level.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts