Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 17 malibu has 171000 miles on it. I ran over something that punctured my transmission and it needs to be replaced. My insurance will cover the cost minus my deductible which is 2000. The cost for a remanufactured transmission is 500. Should I just trade my car in or pay for a rebuilt transmission?

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
You will get way less for the car with a bad trans. versus a running vehicle. A reman trans is at least $3500 just for a quality GM reman one. And that's just the trans, not including labor to install it.

Reactions: campb292

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,245 Posts
There is a little to balance at that mileage re: fix vs abandon but I still see the value of the vehicle higher than the out of pocket fix cost. Plus the market for vehicle replacement still stinks. Pay the $2000 and get what your insurance will cover. Insurance should be covering a new or mfg remanufactured/refurbished unit. Don't use some guy's $500 remanufactured transmission. $500 doesn't even cover the time it took to pull it from the previous car. You'd basically be paying to haul away some guy's problem. Like @repairman54 wrote, an actual GM replacement will be more expensive. I pulled up the parts catalog. GM stocks remanufactured units and lists part 19354026 at $3195. The labor on remove and replace is 9 hours. All in I'd estimate $4800.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts