Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 with the 1.5L. I was wondering how much under mixed city and highway driving and/or just city driving the transmission fluid temp averages during these driving conditions? At what temperature do you get the “transmission hot” message? Wondering because this is my first car without trans dipstick so I can’t tell if fluid is dark or oxidized before the 45k-97k change intervals and want this transmission to last as long as possible.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,741 Posts
3rd gen 6T40 "Transmission hot idle engine" TFT is at or above 132C / 270F for more than 5 seconds. Most of the time cruising around it runs 50C-70C ish at most... at least checking it after 30 min in 70F weather. To check fluid level and condition you have to get the TFT to 85-95C and it takes some work in 2nd - it won't get that hot easily. If you want to check out your car you can use Torque Pro and I have a guide to setup TFT monitoring. As for fluid condition, I've done drain and fills and I can tell you it will be dark at 45k - mine was tar black at 35k and was still pretty dark at 70k.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts