Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Chevrolet Malibu LT V6
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(2007 Chevrolet Malibu LT V6)

Hello again Malibu peeps. I needed to make a quick errand this evening and something very strange occurred and I can’t seem to make sense of it.

I put the key in the ignition, started it up, and then shifted from Park to Drive. However, after letting off the brake pedal the car didn’t move and just sat still. I very lightly started to depress the gas pedal and nothing. Then, with the gas pedal depressed about 25% of the way down, a very loud and harsh clunk. At this point, the car started moving. After a short drive and changing gears around a few times, there was no other sign that something was wrong.

Suffice it to say, it was an alarming thud and I can’t figure out what could have caused this. Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,400 Posts
My two guesses: Fluid is low or the filter is clogged.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The filter shouldn’t be clogged. If that’s the case then I’ll be disappointed with my mechanic because I’m very regimented when it comes to the car being serviced at regular intervals.

Which fluid do you think may be low?

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
Probably the blinker fluid, but it could also be a crooked muffler bearing...

·
Registered
556 Posts
When is the last time you had you tranny filter done? If you dont know...just take the advice given get a new filter and fluid. ..

...and from now on pay attention to service done and the intervals its done at.... dont always trust you mechanic has done everything possible to keep your car running...... they service tones of cars ....and believe me yours isnt special....and i doubt they remember all the stuff done to it.... so you need to be a proactive owner and keep track of this stuff....and not rely on ypur mechanic to tell you when to have regular service maintenance done....

....it does sound like either A..... you have low fluid
B .... filter clogged....or clogg elsewhere
... either of those isnt to bad to pay for.... fluid and filter change under 200 bucks. ...just a top up of tranny fluid...who knows you you will uave to find the leak

...let us know what you mechanic says

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m aware. I responded to him late last night when I was tired and not paying enough attention.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When is the last time you had you tranny filter done? If you dont know...just take the advice given get a new filter and fluid. ..

...and from now on pay attention to service done and the intervals its done at.... dont always trust you mechanic has done everything possible to keep your car running...... they service tones of cars ....and believe me yours isnt special....and i doubt they remember all the stuff done to it.... so you need to be a proactive owner and keep track of this stuff....and not rely on ypur mechanic to tell you when to have regular service maintenance done....

....it does sound like either A..... you have low fluid
B .... filter clogged....or clogg elsewhere
... either of those isnt to bad to pay for.... fluid and filter change under 200 bucks. ...just a top up of tranny fluid...who knows you you will uave to find the leak

...let us know what you mechanic says
I pay very close attention to all service that’s done and I keep a record of when any service, maintenance, and repairs are done. So in that respect, I’m very proactive. I always have been. And my mechanic knows my family and I very well and they have records for all work done to the car as well. We’re very close with them so my expectations for them are higher than your average car shop and therefore I trust them at their word more than most as well.

I’ve owned this car for less than a year and the transmission, along with every other aspect of the car was checked out and inspected before purchase. The transmission filter, along with fluids were good. They were checked again a few months back during my last oil change and all was well. Nonetheless, I’ll have everything checked out this Friday.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,088 Posts
Examining the transmission filter is not part of a vehicle inspection. Nevertheless, whatever you think of your personal mechanic, something is wrong with the transmission.

Please review this thread and add the relevant missing information as the only clue to what you're driving is the section you posted in, which covers two different generations of Malibu with many variations within each.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Examining the transmission filter is not part of a vehicle inspection. Nevertheless, whatever you think of your personal mechanic, something is wrong with the transmission.

Please review this thread and add the relevant missing information as the only clue to what you're driving is the section you posted in, which covers two different generations of Malibu with many variations within each.

Relevant information was added. Sorry.

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
If the trans fluid was at the right level and looked and smelled right, then the only things I can think of that would lead to your condition is a clogged filter (not likely if the fluid is nearly new), worn clutches, or failed solenoid(s).

It's possible that someone put an additive in the trans before selling it to help hide any issues, or it could have been fine and is only now showing its age. Project Farm on YouTube has tested the Lucas Trans additive and says it seems to work. I can't say, but what I can share is that any additive that claims to help seals to seal better are likely just a type of fluid (similar to brake fluid) that causes rubber to swell (making it seal better) but then causes it to harden (making it become brittle and then leak better). Any of those kinds of additives should not be used, but I don't know how to tell which ones have them. Maybe a Google/Bing search would yield more usable information on this matter for you.

No additive will cure worn parts, but I'm sure you're more than aware of that. I added that for any future readers, just as a reminder.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I wont touch lucas additives. ... check out bob the oil guy.... shows lucas oil additive. ..and why it epically fails.....and froths up your oil....

Ya , also i dont know how they checked the tranny filter....if you do that you just replace it....dont check.... with all involved in taking the pan off..... loosing all that fluid to check it.... its just not something that is done.... i wi
l say sont get a flush.... can wash out your clutches....... just a drain ...new filter and fill'r up... so honestly all i think was done to check your tranny.....was to see if the level was up....and look at fluid quality.

At any rate you have some great advice above.... curious though if your mechanic is soo trusted and almost familly so to speak.... what makes you ask here? Just curious .... not being snotty or anything...

Best of luck whatever you end up doing

·
Registered
50 Posts
They are lucky if they can get to the filter, My 2013 you can get to it, if you pull the trans and dig in to it. The fluid is all you can get too, only a fill cap drain bolt and level plug. What will G.M. Think of next. The Trans was build to last its life time.

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
They are lucky if they can get to the filter, My 2013 you can get to it, if you pull the trans and dig in to it. The fluid is all you can get too, only a fill cap drain bolt and level plug. What will G.M. Think of next. The Trans was build to last its life time.
We once had a person become a member who said that they were on the team that developed the trans jointly with Ford. They tested it in the lab and determined that it could go 200,ooo miles without any service, so that's why it has a non-serviceable filter screen. The 4-cylinder version (for Gen7) has the drain and fill plugs like you mention, but at least the V6 version got a proper filler cap with dipstick.

They don't make "machines" anymore; they're "appliances" that you use up and toss, just like a toaster or a phone.

·
Registered
2012 Chevy Malibu LT 2.4L
25 Posts
Your right on about the filter ToolFox1. I have a 2012 2.4L with 6T40 trans. Last June I did 3 drain and fills, but this is the only car I've had where I couldn't change the filter. As for the life time of the trans. what is that exactly? By the way it still shifts fine at 76,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Lifetime is life of the powertrain warranty. Always has been.
Drain and refill trans. every 45k miles and it will go the distance. My old '09 4 speed went 190k miles and sold it running / shifting just fine. Same with my old '99 Yukon that towed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, just a quick note on your problem. Is it possible that someone may have washed the vehicle, or a heavy rain causing the brake rotors to have surface rust. I have had this happen to a couple of my vehicles in the past. Either that or was the emergency brake cable sticking. If you have been driving the vehicle since this happened, how has it driven since? Any repeat performances? And how many miles since it previously did it. My wife was leaving for work recently, put the car in gear, released the emergency brake and needed to accelerate more than usual to get the car rolling and clunk! I was standing right next to the vehicle and saw the disc brakes release. I had washed the car a couple of days earlier and the car sat for a couple of days before she used it. In her case, it was just a slight coating of surface rust from the brake calipers to the brake rotors.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts