Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
CMF Senior Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Just flashed it and took it out for a spin. what a change!
there is plenty of power all around.
The transmission tune is the best part, picks up a gear when you need without jolting and just delivers smooth acceleration.
The upshifts are very gentle without detracting from the power delivery.
Low end torque is great too, first gear with tc off was all tire spin, I didn't expect it to break loose like that.
I really feel like this is how the malibu should drive out of the showroom floor.
I never felt like the car didn't have enough power, not complaining about the extra power from the tune either. but from day one I always thought that there was a lot of work left on the transmission programming.
GM has a lot to learn from trifecta when it comes to refining the shift logic.
Excellent! Thanks for the awesome feedback. Let us know if you need anything in the future.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not Likely. :frown:

·
Registered
787 Posts

·
CMF Senior Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #65

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,018 Posts
Trifecta do you guys also plan on releasing an updated k&n tune for the 2.0 turbo?
The 2.0T tune is restricted by powertrain limits, particularly the transmission. If not for that, they could already crank up the power further.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow all I can say is d*** this car can go now! That intake sounds so sweet too. Gary you were right when you said these are the best two mods for the car. I was amazed at how big of a difference just the tune gave it, but now with the intake it's like a whole nother car.

The lag in the low end always bothered me with the car which probably contributed to my lead foot. After just the tune on the car that was just about non-existent and that was good with me. However, I knew the intake could only add to the greatly appreciated power. Boy was I spot on with that one. Driving around for a short period showed that I barely had to press the pedal to make the car go. I absolutely love the tune and intake on this car.
I am considering this intake and tune and am wondering if you are still this impressed with the tune and intake and would still recommend it now 6 months later. Or anyone else that has done this mod I'd love to hear more details

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've got the tune and the k&n CAI in my cart on the website, and before I pull the trigger, some things have crossed my mind. I've had some issues with the tranny not down shifting when it should, would this cause any issues with that or if I take it in to the dealer for repairs, will they be able to tell if this has been tuned at all? If so, will this void the warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've got the tune and the k&n CAI in my cart on the website, and before I pull the trigger, some things have crossed my mind. I've had some issues with the tranny not down shifting when it should, would this cause any issues with that or if I take it in to the dealer for repairs, will they be able to tell if this has been tuned at all? If so, will this void the warranty?

I'd have the trans looked into before doing anything.

The way I understand it, you can install tune in transparency mode where it doesn't add to ecm program count. You can also remove the tune before going to dealer.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I am waiting for my cable to be delivered. My tune is downloaded. All dressed up, no place to go...lol

No K&N air intake or exhaust work, just the tune....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Why no K&N?
I'm interested in the tune, but I can't get any kind of information that I'd trust. I asked them some general questions and provided my vin, and they gave me info pertaining to a turbo Malibu (mine is not turbocharged). That sets off a couple red flags for me, but wouldn't necessarily discourage me from the purchase completely. I'd be more interested in a fully inclosed filter box, rather than the half assed separation k&n comes with.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Why no K&N?
I'm interested in the tune, but I can't get any kind of information that I'd trust. I asked them some general questions and provided my vin, and they gave me info pertaining to a turbo Malibu (mine is not turbocharged). That sets off a couple red flags for me, but wouldn't necessarily discourage me from the purchase completely. I'd be more interested in a fully inclosed filter box, rather than the half assed separation k&n comes with.

No K&N for the reason you stated and I don't want filter maintenance other than to replace at required intervals. I'm more into the low speed drivability improvement mentioned than anything else. I've gone 7.0 / 198mph at track, had some really sick street cars. I may push hard into and out of expressway ramps, but that's about it.

I'd like to eliminate the long plastic intake that starts at grill and makes it's way under the fender. There is an opening between headlight and radiator. Some sheet metal or plastic panels would have to be fabricated to attach to frame to keep engine heat out.

I'd like to use the stock air box or something similar. Use larger pipe to engine. Duct to the opening I mentioned.

Just a thought anyway. Not much room under the hood on Malibu.

·
Registered
111 Posts
This is never going to be a speed demon, I like the idea of improved throttle response, quicker shifts, and increased fuel economy if possible.

I like the idea of the bent aluminum tube to feed the engine, kind of like port and polishing a throttle body, but for the intake tube. I just don't like the idea of the intake tube going over the hot motor, heating up the air, although in theory, it should be flowing at such a rate, it shouldn't have time to heat up dramatically due to engine heat before reaching the motor. The box would be nice, to not have to have a pre-filter, but I had one on my last car, it seemed to help.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Can someone shed some light on this?

The max torque actually drops, according to this dyno result (taken from trifectas page for the 2013-2015 2.5l Malibu tune) On the website they claim 25 ft-lbs torque increase at 6,500 RPMs, and 35 hp increase again at 6,500 hp. So, if I'm not hot rodding around town, taking my car to 7,000 rpms I'm not "really" going to notice a big difference between tune and not tuned, is that correct?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm goin to say you won't notice a huge difference between tuned and not tuned if your not driving it like a hotrod except maybe a small difference in low end torque and take off. I don't want to just completely say this tune is a waste of money but I had a bad experience with it. I got the k&n intake and the calibrated tune the end of last year hoping for better fuel economy and more power. I was very disappointed! The intake made my car sound like a 95 Honda civic with a buzz pipe! I contacted Trifecta to see if this was normal and they were helpful having me send in some data logs and reviewing them. All they said were that my fuel trim was just a wee bit off and that I must have a vacuum leak somewhere??? I checked over my installation and fiddled and tweaked everything numerous times to make sure everything was installed correctly, needless to say it still had that buzz. Also my fuel economy dropped about 3 mpg. Last summer we made a trip to Minnesota and my car averaged 30.5 approx all the way there and back, about a 2000 mile round trip. This winter right after I installed the intake and tune we did the same trip with some more stops for a total of about 3500 miles and I could barely get 27! Very disappointing! I will attach my before and after logs of my 0-60 and quarter mile times. Small difference but not enough to justify the money spent. I no longer have either installed and I have my quiet car back and hopefully my fuel economy!

I don't believe the horse power on these, it never has been accurate with any vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
I received the cable today. I put a trickle charger on the car battery and laptop on AC power. Programming went without issues. Took a short ride to the store and love the improved lower end and shift points. Next week I'll see how it does for mileage. Very happy with the results so far!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I received the cable today. I put a trickle charger on the car battery and laptop on AC power. Programming went without issues. Took a short ride to the store and love the improved lower end and shift points. Next week I'll see how it does for mileage. Very happy with the results so far!

I'm curious about the fuel economy. Has anyone else reported the sweet (that's sarcasm) fart can Honda sound? That's something I definitely don't want.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm curious about the fuel economy. Has anyone else reported the sweet (that's sarcasm) fart can Honda sound? That's something I definitely don't want.

Based on the videos posted, I'm thinking the K&N intake will change the sound at WOT. I'm all stock except for tune.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Based on the videos posted, I'm thinking the K&N intake will change the sound at WOT. I'm all stock except for tune.
Can't wait to hear your experience with the tune....please share your thoughts and observations on fuel economy as you drive it more as well as overall impressions of how your car drives.
I have the Magnaflow exhaust, but I will not do the K&N setup....I have had those on a few cars and trucks in the past (and other brands like Volant and S&B) and always saw a decrease in gas mileage. I love the sound of my exhaust, do not want my car to sound anything like a Honda!

61 - 80 of 113 Posts