Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've had this tune for 300 miles now and I love it! I put a sports muffler and exhaust tip on my 15 Malibu and it sounds great. I would say thus tune should be the first modification done. It has more hitch in her giddy up! Next thing I'm getting is the k&n typhoons cold air intake. It's amazing how sweet this tune is. It unleashes this power and drive trains full potential.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on this tune myself for my 15 Malibu but wanted to know if it also deletes the AutoStop feature or will I need to get that download separate from the tune itself?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on this tune myself for my 15 Malibu but wanted to know if it also deletes the AutoStop feature or will I need to get that download separate from the tune itself?
I wanted to keep autostop too, I emailed them and they sent me a new tune with the feature enabled so I have two tunes now in case I want to switch back.

·
Registered
253 Posts
So the tune by default deletes AutoStop? If so, that's fine with me and what I wanted to know. Wasn't sure if the tune did that or if I had to get the delete update separately.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I just put in my order for the tune. Looking forward to the gains and smoother transmission from this. I went from having the Turbo to the 2.5L for my replacement Bu. The 2.5L definitely needs all the help it can get........lol

·
Registered
253 Posts
Folks, I finally got a chance to install the tune after having it for a few days loaded on my computer and ready to go and I have to say new life has been given to Bu. Definitely has a little extra pep now for sure and its mainly due to how much smoother the transmission shifts go now. Night and day difference which was the big improvement I wanted more than anything else. I also got the annoying auto stop feature turned off as well. I held off on getting this tune for so long but it is definitely worth the purchase. I'm not sure I'll be touching the extra 25 lb/ft torque and 35 whp much as I don't drive my car that hard at 6000-6500 rpm to get those numbers but for my normal daily driving at around 2000 rpm I'm probably actually feeling 1-3 extra horses and 5-6 extra lb/ft torque overall. I'm a happy man overall. Might get the cold air intake down the line but I'm fine with the stock airbox setup for now.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
I've installed the tune in my '15 and the car has a new personality now. Gas pedal now has V6 response, higher shift points IE less ''eco'' too soon upshifts. Autostop gone. I'm still burning off a tank of 87 so after a few fills of 93 I'll be able to see how the WFO runs are. I though I heard some ping but I'm trying to restrain myself until burn off the regular fuel. I still need more miles for my full honest review but car has a more sporting personality.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just bought the "Advantage" tune tonight! Based on all of the good reviews, I am in for a much needed bump in throttle response and drive ability. I despise everything about the Auto start stop, cant wait to get rid of that as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Installed the tune today and I am very satisfied on my initial drive! Throttle response is way better, shifts are crisp, and it does feel like it has more power as stated. If you are on the fence about getting the tune, do it, best upgrade you can do for this car. Like others have stated, I need to retrain my right foot to get used to this. Nicely done Trifecta!

·
Registered
51 Posts
One month update:

I had to clear the TCM adaptives again and re-flash the tune. I was getting jerky shifts randomly and it was starting to get annoying. Since the re-flash its been better which I am thankful for.

Anyone else experience any issues after 3-6 months after install?

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
One month update:

I had to clear the TCM adaptives again and re-flash the tune. I was getting jerky shifts randomly and it was starting to get annoying. Since the re-flash its been better which I am thankful for.

Anyone else experience any issues after 3-6 months after install?
Zero issues with mine, it's been installed for almost a year now. Premium gas is a must to stop the pinging in my car with WFO throttle shifts but not a issue with me. In fact better quality higher cleaners in the gas in a DI motor is better for it.
I made sure at installation the transparency option was selected also.

Reactions: RD_3

·
Registered
20 Posts
I flashed my tune a few days ago - I don't regret it a single bit. Yea you have to run premium gas, but the car sips gas (if you're not pedal to the floor... but it's kinda hard not to with the tune installed.) To and from work today I got 31.1 MPG, it's about 70% Highway 30% start-stop, 50-mile round trip. I'm very satisfied with my purchase and will definitely recommend this tune to anyone with the 2.5. Throttle response is WAAAYYY better. Car is way more fun to drive. If you are on the fence about buying the tune (Like I was for 2 months) go ahead and purchase it, you'll thank me later :)

I've been thinking about the CAI but like... I dunno. Yeah it sounds cool and the dyno shows it makes more power with the intake on... but I feel like you can't even really call it a "Cold" air intake. It's literally sitting in the same place as the stock airbox. If anything, I feel like it gives it less protection from sucking stuff into the engine. Thoughts from anyone out there?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,192 Posts
My thoughts about replacing the stock air box with a CAI kit:
  1. Don't use any kit that doesn't seal off from the engine bay 100% and get all of its air from outside the wheel well, like the stock does.
  2. Don't use any kind of oiled air filter. Over time, 2 things happen:
    1. a little oil tends to deposit on the MAF, eventually leading to DTCs and/or driveability issues,
    2. the higher flow is usually due to allowing larger particles to enter the air stream, causing the engine to grind itself to death over time.
If you can find (or modify) a kit to address both issues above, then higher flow, cold outside air, proper filtration, and no oil contamination are all good.

101 - 113 of 113 Posts