Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2013 Malibu 2.5 Lt, and was looking into the trifecta tune for it. It says that it boosts whp by 35, but wouldn't that put the transmission beyond it's mechanical limit of 215 hp? Is this tune really worth the price tag, and by how much will it shorten the cars life span? Should I even try this on an engine with 120k miles and without any warranty?

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
I did my '15 at 80k miles. No issues just sold it to my sister running fine with auto stop disabled. That 35 hp is at wide open maximum rpm.
For me tune was worth it for how it drives normally, shifting is much better. You will need to run premium if you like to put your foot into the gas. It will ping with regular gas when you get on it, easy normal driving it runs regular just fine.
Have you been changing your trans. fluid regularly? Like every 40k miles. That's a bigger worry than putting the tune in as a clean trans is a happy transmission.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did my '15 at 80k miles. No issues just sold it to my sister running fine with auto stop disabled. That 35 hp is at wide open maximum rpm.
For me tune was worth it for how it drives normally, shifting is much better. You will need to run premium if you like to put your foot into the gas. It will ping with regular gas when you get on it, easy normal driving it runs regular just fine.
Have you been changing your trans. fluid regularly? Like every 40k miles. That's a bigger worry than putting the tune in as a clean trans is a happy transmission.
I've only had the car about 20k miles, but the dealer said it was done when they bought it

·
CMF Senior Member
241 Posts
Hi @Robeyros
Here at TRIFECTA we understand customer's concerns for reliability when it comes to modifying their vehicle. With state of the art features that are designed to retain OE functions relating to ECM/TCM diagnostic and error reporting. We've developed our calibration through countless hours of testing in a variety of environments to ensure we cover a very broad spectrum of use scenarios. No reliability concerns have been raised by either our development team nor our customer base for the better half of a decade.

Check out what other customers are saying about our product:
2013--2015 Chevrolet Malibu / 2016 Malibu Limited - 2.5L - Advantage

Hope this helps ease your mind a bit!
As always, feel free to reach out to us directly here on the forums, any of our social media platform or on our website! (all links located in our signature)
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Grille

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi @Robeyros
Here at TRIFECTA we understand customer's concerns for reliability when it comes to modifying their vehicle. With state of the art features that are designed to retain OE functions relating to ECM/TCM diagnostic and error reporting. We've developed our calibration through countless hours of testing in a variety of environments to ensure we cover a very broad spectrum of use scenarios. No reliability concerns have been raised by either our development team nor our customer base for the better half of a decade.

As always, feel free to reach out to us directly here on the forums, any of our social media platform or on our website! (all links located in our signature) View attachment 72306
View attachment 72307
Thanks, I'll be saving up for it as of now lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi @Robeyros

As always, feel free to reach out to us directly here on the forums, any of our social media platform or on our website! (all links located in our signature) View attachment 72306
View attachment 72307
Oh, one more question, you guys dont send info to the insurance company about the potential tuning happening, do you? I noticed you guys ask for the vin number, and assumed it was to send the exact right tune for the car, but I just wanted to check that info wouldn't be sent out about the purchase

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
What your insurance Co. knows is what you tell them, Trifecta is not in the squealing to the insurance Co business.
They need the VIN to verify exactly what your car was built with, so they get it right the first time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I put full tune on my 2014 2.5L about 2+ years ago after warranty expired at 86,000 miles, I bought malibu new off transport with 2-3 miles on it and now have 109,000k. Well worth price: much better throttle response, pulls stronger at all rpm ranges > there is a big difference. Normally run 87 top tier gas and have never heard any pre-ignition; tanks of premium top tier sometimes. They state to run several tanks of premium before you notice the performance gain, it does seem slightly better but not big difference. You will notice more torque in that it doesn't need to downshift as often going up a grade.

Tranny is also reprogramed as well. Upshifts now occur at much higher rpm with snappy upshifts until you ease up throttle. Downshifts are smooth sometimes and can get rough with hard downshift if caught when coasting and then depress throttle even slightly. Fluid was replaced x3 at 79,000k.

Some have reported a drop in mpg but mine actually increased by about 2 mpg. I drive easy all the time but do run through the max gears couple times a month to keep exhaust clean and try to avoid carbon buildup. Getting ready to change spark plugs soon. Before I retired my daily commute was 80 mile round trip 5x a week. My driving is 90% interstate and little to no city traffic. Car has been rock solid with not one mechanical issue, only repairs was 1 hub bearing, a/c compressor replaced, and radio head replaced > all under warranty.

You won't regret paying for the tune. All you need is a laptop and the cable adapter from trifecta.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts