Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Malibu 2.5 LT and I wanted to try the Trifecta tune download. I love the car, just don't get a lot of power out of her. Looking to give it more pep. Might try the cold intake filter since they make one comparable with the download. But 1 step at a time. Would you guys recommend...?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,006 Posts
You already have a CAI on the car that is more than capable of supplying more than enough air. Taking it out to install an aftermarket CAI is simply a waste of money, and an exercise in making it run worse.

"Worse, you say?" Yes, worse. The more cold air you can get, the denser it is, and density is what makes more power. Aftermarket CAI kits are notorious for allowing air from the engine bay to leak into the somewhat-cold air supply, making less power in the process. Add to that the fact that oiled filter elements allow larger particles to get into your engine and you're tearing it apart from the inside out.

This might help you with your CAI decision:

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,002 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You already have a CAI on the car that is more than capable of supplying more than enough air. Taking it out to install an aftermarket CAI is simply a waste of money, and an exercise in making it run worse.

"Worse, you say?" Yes, worse. The more cold air you can get, the denser it is, and density is what makes more power. Aftermarket CAI kits are notorious for allowing air from the engine bay to leak into the somewhat-cold air supply, making less power in the process. Add to that the fact that oiled filter elements allow larger particles to get into your engine and you're tearing it apart from the inside out.

This might help you with your CAI decision:

Yeah they make one for the non turbo. Thanks for the CIA info cause I was going to do that next. You aren't the first to say skip it. So I'll skip it. But I will be looking for a nice sound from the exhaust, could you recommend something affordable just to get some good sound
Trifecta does offer a tune for the 2013 2.5: 2013--2015 Chevrolet Malibu / 2016 Malibu Limited - 2.5L - Advantage

I have only read positives from owners that purchased a trifecta tune for their gen8 2.5. I have yet to read of any negative consequence or impact to reliability. Go for it.
Thanks man. Another question I have is what would be a good low cost way to get some good sound from the exhaust? I'm going with Trifecta Tune but I won't be getting and aftermarket CIA. I just want some good sound to go along with the tune. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
I'm happy with my Trifecta tune in my '15 2.5 . And auto stop is gone now also.
Most exhaust mods result in highway drone, not worth the expense of doing it to be stuck with it and searching for a system that doesn't. They all drone at cruising speeds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm happy with my Trifecta tune in my '15 2.5 . And auto stop is gone now also.
Most exhaust mods result in highway drone, not worth the expense of doing it to be stuck with it and searching for a system that doesn't. They all drone at cruising speeds.
What do you mean by highway drone??

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
Exhaust sound is a non stop, steady ''wahh'' the whole time your just cruising along. And it's either cranking the tunes non stop or yelling all time to your passengers. It will get old after a while. Been there in my old short lived cherry bomb days.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,297 Posts
Engine drone was probably the #1 reason I didn't put an exhaust on my old V6.

The thing about exhaust mods is that when you make the good noises louder, you make the lame noises louder, too. A 4-cylinder or V6 with an exhaust will bore a hole in your brain at 2000-3000 rpm during typical driving and 70+ mph highway cruising. I'm a person susceptible to headaches so that's a no for me.

Also, an exhaust mod on a non-turbo 4-cylinder will only yield like 5 horsepower at best. Trifecta tune will get you the best bang for the buck.

Reactions: repairman54

·
Registered
2016 limited LTZ 2.5
7 Posts
I just did the trifecta tune on my 2.5 and it’s worth every penny!!! I was thinking about an exhaust as well. I’m going to get with the magnaflow #15198, sounds pretty good from clips on YouTube. Not obnoxious or anything very subtle..

·
Registered
2013 Malibu LTZ 2LZ 2.0T
28 Posts
Exhaust sound is a non stop, steady ''wahh'' the whole time your just cruising along. And it's either cranking the tunes non stop or yelling all time to your passengers. It will get old after a while. Been there in my old short lived cherry bomb days.
Haha, I put a super10 on my pickup truck (Chevy 5.7) for a month. You couldn’t even have a conversation in the cabin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts