Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

truedelta (car reliability site)

11K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  mkaresh 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All

I wanted to let people know about
This is a site that collects the repair stats reported by owners of various models. The way it is done - the full data is not available to everyone (for a fee, but I can't remember exactly), but if you are a member contributing data about your car's history it's free for you.

The site has been around for some years and has a decent number of models covered. I used it as a source of information during research of my last 2 cars. It was helpful.

Compared to JD Powers, Consumer Reports this site has more detailed info. CR ratings are just it - the end rating, they don't show how the data was collected. On TrueDelta it seems more transparent, you see it in more detail.

Anyway, if we contribute data about our cars it'd help potential owners with their decision.

And, I am not affiliated with TrueDelta in any way other than contributing data.

Cheers,
Yury

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi All

I would like to bring this thread up. 08 Malibu is now in "insufficient sample size" category, but only a couple members away from the "sufficient" size. So if anyone wants to sign up that'd be great.
Of course 09s are needed too.

Another reason for this reminder is that it seems that we have gained some repair history during past several months. It would be great for perspective buyers to have access to the more accurate info.

#5 ·
Yes, EVERYONE, sign up!

I've been reporting on our '08 for most of the year and recently started with my '09. I told the site runner about this forum and I don't think he's ever made it, but he's usually around every forum that exists anywhere. Good data collected in a fair, detailed way, monthly--everyone, sign up and report.

#6 ·
Thanks for posting this, guys.

One key thing Yury didn't mention: we promptly update results four times a year, to closely track cars as they age.

We'll start previewing an updated result for the 2008s and a few other model years in about a month. More participants remain needed for all years.

#9 ·
We've updated the results for the Malibu to include owner experiences through March 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2009: 77, about average, marginal sample size

2008: 31, better than average, more accurate than the 2009 result because large sample

2005: 57, about average, very small sample size

A big thank you to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

#13 ·
We've updated the results for the Malibu to include owner experiences through June 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2009: 44, about average, but close to "better than average"

2008: 33, better than average

2004: 160, worse than average, very small sample size so likely inaccurate

Everyone who has been helping, thanks, I appreciate it. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

#15 ·
I like how the website banner displays 3 foreign cars :p

#16 ·
Web designer who knew next to nothing about cars selected those three because only Honda and Hyundai didn't limit their stock images to non-editorial use...been planning to fix that with the next redesign.

We'll have updated results for the Malibu next month. Additional participants would be very helpful. Especially need 2010s.

#18 ·
I don't like that they ask for license plate in registration. That is too much privacy. Not sure how they can verify that information. I think we can set up any thing like that for our forum on Google Document. Just set up an Excel spreadsheet, open it up to any body and collect any information that we like as we have discussed in this forum (such as Lake Orion vs Fairfax, I4 vs V6, type of oil used, etc....). All you need is a google account which takes 5 minutes to create.

#19 · (Edited)
Isn't that info optional? I never provided anything like that to truedelta. Not entirely sure thought why would it be even asked for.

Other than that Michael does great job with the site. I have been following the updates for a couple of years now and I like his work. Setting something up here sounds easy only it is not. We will never achieve anything close to truedelta in accuracy and consistency unless there's somebody who dedicates a lot of time to it on a regular basis. Trust me, I am a software developer, I know how quickly, a simple spreadsheet can turn into a complicated system eating up hours and days of development work :)

#20 · (Edited)
It does not matter to me that if that question is optional or not because if I want I can fake it anyway. But that kind of question will drive me away from registration process....

I am glad to hear that we are in the same career:) As a sw engineer has been dealing with many small, big projects on many platforms (java, php, .net, etc...) on various database (mysql, oracle, MS sql, sql lite,...) using many alternative commercial tools (sharepoints, MS office, Open Office, etc..) I understand your concerns. The point here is to scope your requirements small, simple, then an excel with couple of worksheet will just do the jobs. No need for a big database with dozen tables in 3rd normal form. Your survey on the vibration issue proved the point.
I don't intend to compete with the True Delta site with this spreadsheet. But, If we want to do simple surveys on different topics we are interested here with just the members in this small forum, then the excel can just do the job.
For maintenance effort, I will apply the Wikipedia principals here: The excel will be updated and contributed by its members in their free time, at their convenience. Everybody can make a copy everytime they update it so if it gets screwed up badly, we can recover it.

By doing this ourselves, we have the freedom to collect anything we like on many topics in this forum in a helpful format that can result in some meaningful statistics.
That said if I see there are more people coming here showing interests in this self-survey excel, I will start it up in Google.

#21 · (Edited)
Well, if you just want to do surveys then...do surveys :) Why would you need a spreasheet? If it's more that a survery, then it will likely require some work to be useful in my opinion. For example, even keeping a simplest form of service history will take longer to develop than 5 minutes.

But, by all means, try to define something ... if you have energy for it :) God knows I don't :)

#22 ·
We've updated the results for the Malibu to include owner experiences through September 30, 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2009: 28, better than average

2008: 63, about average

2006: 70, about average

2005: 63, about average

2004: 135, worse than average

Small sample sizes for the 2004-2006.

We've also introduced two new statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop. We don't have these for the Malibu yet, though, because they require a larger number of responses.

Everyone who has been helping, thanks, I certainly appreciate it. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and provide all three stats for all model years.

#24 · (Edited)
I just signed up and recorded my repairs over the last 14 months.

#25 ·
We've updated the results for the Malibu to include owner experiences through December 31, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2009: 22

2008: 65

2006: 74

2005: 67

2004: 80

The 2009 is better than average, the others are about average. Small sample sizes for the 2004-2006, but reassuring consistency from year to year.

Everyone who has been helping, thanks, I certainly appreciate it. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

#26 ·
Recently enhanced the related repair history survey so that it can (optionally) be used as a personal car maintenance record.

As always, more participants would be helpful. Especially need more 2010s.

Updated Car Reliability Survey results in May, with a preview for participants soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.