Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I found a bit of a dilemma with the trunk/rear window design the other day. It has been hovering around -25 to -35 degrees celsius here the last few weeks. Went to go shopping, and went to put the grocery bins in the trunk....well it was frozen solid!! Couldn't budge it a bit.
It seems when you use the rear window defroster, the water runs down the window, into where the seal between the trunk lid and body is. It then continued to freeze right over the trunk lid/body seams.... it was solid!!
Fearing wrecking the paint, and possibly denting or warping the body...out came the hair dryer.
Might have to put some silicon spray on the rubber seals for future.
Anyone else experience this problem?? Its beautiful how nice and tight the body lines and seams are from GM, but I am wondering if they tested for issues like this.

Cheers,

Tony

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had this exact same issue last night. We had some freezing rain/sleet/snow and had the rear defroster on all the way to dinner. I came out, clicked the open trunk button, and tried to open the trunk to get my scrapper/brush but it barely moved. Not wanting to make it worse, I simply went through the backseat and got it. I went the entire way home with the trunk "open".

This is definitely a problem that needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
186 Posts
also happened to me once so far, i had to wait about three days for the weather to warm up and melt off whatever was freezing it shut, i didnt want to put any damage on the car so i just waited it out

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I think it's because the defroster grid doesn't go down far enough so the lower part is cold enough so the water running down from the grid freezes...something engineers need to revisit. Wouldn't be too hard for them to paint on more of the grid.

Wasn't too much of an issue for me though, I seem to be managing to tap on the ice to break it up and open the trunk.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, I've had the same problem a couple of times not only doesn't the defrost go low enough, but the gaps are tight enough that it can be a little hard to get a good grip on the trunk bottom.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Although I've yet to experience the trunk freezing over, I've had a fair share of problems with my 2007 Malibu whenever the mercury dips below 0 Celsius.
Of constant frustration is the back doors: refusing to close when outside temperature is below freezing.
The first night of sub-zero temperatures in '07, my wife and I opened both of the back doors, only to have them "bounce" back on us when we tried to close them (we rode home with the doors roped shut from the inside). After a few trips into the dealer, we learned that the car left the line without any lubricant on the back doors. GM ended replacing the actuators, but as we are embarking on -10 C days, similar problems are still occuring. Today, the cold "popped" a locked-back door ajar, overnight.

Does anyone think a healthy dose of lithium grease will help diminish (if not solve) the problem?

·
Registered
36 Posts
My wife drove the car home on Friday evening after work and upon exiting the car, she bumped the trunk button on the remote. I was right there and we tried to get the trunk open and it was definitely frozen shut at the leading edge of the trunk where the window melt runoff ran over the trunk. I spent almost 20 minutes deicing the trunk lid/ window area enough to pop open the trunk and reclose it to make sure it was latched tight.

I agree with Yury that if they were to add more grid to the defroster it would help greatly. Until then, I've tried to remind Lisa that she needs to take one minute after getting to where she's going to remove the ice while it's still a little easier before it refreezes tight.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I wonder if it can be a DIY project. It's not hard to buy the grid repair kit and paint a couple of extra loops ... It's just a matter of not doing a horrible looking job, maybe make a neat cardboard stencil that would be large enough for an entire loop, i.e. from the center light to the side.
It's not going look entirely seamless because the paint in the kit can be a different shade, but if the freezing is a big problem then that may be a small price to pay :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I wonder if it can be a DIY project. It's not hard to buy the grid repair kit and paint a couple of extra loops ... It's just a matter of not doing a horrible looking job, maybe make a neat cardboard stencil that would be large enough for an entire loop, i.e. from the center light to the side.
It's not going look entirely seamless because the paint in the kit can be a different shade, but if the freezing is a big problem then that may be a small price to pay :)
I'm not sure, I've never had to do a repair job on one before so I know nothing about it. I've got a good friend that's a body guy, I could ask him, or test it out on my other car (it's just a commuter anyhow).

·
Registered
573 Posts
Seems like GM would of done a little bit of more engineering with the cold weather team and added in a couple of defroster lines to make it a non-issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I should add that I own a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am and it too has the issue of the ice melting down over the trunk top. However, I never have an issue of being able to open it even despite the ice buildup. It has a different joint or seperation between the window and the trunk lid. Either way, it just isn't a prob on the pontiac. I will say that the ice falls into the trunk when I open it but that's not a big deal.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I'm not sure, I've never had to do a repair job on one before so I know nothing about it. I've got a good friend that's a body guy, I could ask him, or test it out on my other car (it's just a commuter anyhow).
It's just an electrical circuit painted on the glass with some special paint. The repair kit consists or a tube of a paint like that, a brush and a crappy stencil (with a line way too thick) :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the same problem without any ice. The rubber frequently sticks to the trunk lid and keeps the trunk from popping open. The lack of manual release and handle make this a real problem. I've had several times where I couldn't get my groceries in the trunk because it failed to pop open. A fix for current models might be stronger trunk springs. A trunk grab handle should be included in future models. I also have a problem with the Key Fob. It seems the trunk release button is positioned in a way that allows for frequent involuntary button presses when the Fob is in my pocket. I am always inadvertantly opening the trunk when walking around my vehicle with the keys in my pocket.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have the same problem without any ice. The rubber frequently sticks to the trunk lid and keeps the trunk from popping open. The lack of manual release and handle make this a real problem. I've had several times where I couldn't get my groceries in the trunk because it failed to pop open. A fix for current models might be stronger trunk springs. A trunk grab handle should be included in future models. I also have a problem with the Key Fob. It seems the trunk release button is positioned in a way that allows for frequent involuntary button presses when the Fob is in my pocket. I am always inadvertantly opening the trunk when walking around my vehicle with the keys in my pocket.
Put some Vaseline on the trunk seal. Itll keep the rubber from freezing to the trunk lid. You could do this to the door seals as well if you are having problems with them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i also have this problem and it sucks. we have been under -50 F for a while and it is a real hassle. I have started to scrap the seem when i am done driving the car so it does not freeze. It is a pain but at least i can open it when i need it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i also have this problem and it sucks. we have been under -50 F for a while and it is a real hassle. I have started to scrap the seem when i am done driving the car so it does not freeze. It is a pain but at least i can open it when i need it.
We're doing the exact same thing and you're right, it's a real pain.

·
Registered
795 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.