Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accidently pulled my emergency release in the trunk. Ever since that happened I have not been able to open trunk w/key remote or button on trunk. I replaced fuse and was then able to open with key remote but now the trunk won't stay closed. Any idea why this happened or how to fix it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I accidently pulled my emergency release in the trunk. Ever since that happened I have not been able to open trunk w/key remote or button on trunk. I replaced fuse and was then able to open with key remote but now the trunk won't stay closed. Any idea why this happened or how to fix it?
I forgot to mention this is for a 2015 chevy Malibu.

·
Registered
700 Posts
my first guess would be that the kidnap handle is hung up on something and not letting the sear in the latch come back to lock..

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not sure what their solution was, but try pushing the cable that the release handle pulls out, back into the latch. I'd look inside the latch as you are doing it to see if you can see anything moving inside or that may be hung up. The release shouldn't be a one time use, but if all else fails, replacing the lid latch may be your fix. From a quick internet search, it doesn't appear to be an expensive part, that should be fairly easy to replace by just removing the carpeting from the interior of the trunk lid, and unplugging a connector/ disengaging the release pull somehow.
Good luck. :smile:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not sure what their solution was, but try pushing the cable that the release handle pulls out, back into the latch. I'd look inside the latch as you are doing it to see if you can see anything moving inside or that may be hung up. The release shouldn't be a one time use, but if all else fails, replacing the lid latch may be your fix. From a quick internet search, it doesn't appear to be an expensive part, that should be fairly easy to replace by just removing the carpeting from the interior of the trunk lid, and unplugging a connector/ disengaging the release pull somehow.
Good luck. :smile:
We have taken in all apart and wiggled the cable as well as looked at the latch itself. Replacing it will be our next step. Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Does the latch look like this with the arm showing at the top? When you push down onto the rod on the bottom catch, this arm is moved up and another arm is rotated below the road on the bottom catch. That's what locks the trunk down.

I've seen where the catch gets tripped and the lower bar is showing. That won't let the lock go down over the rod.

You should be able to flip the latch from the ready to the lock position using a screwdriver to press against the two ears. The rest of the operation is up to the electric solenoid that pulls to release the latch and retract the bottom bar.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does the latch look like this with the arm showing at the top? When you push down onto the rod on the bottom catch, this arm is moved up and another arm is rotated below the road on the bottom catch. That's what locks the trunk down.

I've seen where the catch gets tripped and the lower bar is showing. That won't let the lock go down over the rod.

You should be able to flip the latch from the ready to the lock position using a screwdriver to press against the two ears. The rest of the operation is up to the electric solenoid that pulls to release the latch and retract the bottom bar.

View attachment 68838
Mine looks like that. What am I supposed to press against? With the 2 ears.

My trunk wouldnt open. I just replaced the fuse. It worked! I adjusted the emergency escape handle and now it wont close. Please help!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone understand the instructions above about pressing on the ears etc? Ya I don’t know the lingo I guess but mine won’t close. Just bought it yesterday lol !! Thanks. Melissa

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem and mine looks like the one in the photo

View attachment 68838

·
Registered
53 Posts
Cycle the latch via the button a few times. Might be stuck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts