Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using this search... https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=passlock+2002+malibu

Referencing the car's owners manual and the Haynes repair manual...there are issues IF you would want to change the battery or disconnect the neg cable for some repair...you lose use of the stereo system...unless you have the code for resetting the radio. For this year the radio remembers the last 4 digits of the car's VIN...and cannot be used in any other car. There is a code and method for resetting the radio IF the neg cable has been removed..I don't have the code.

Not sure how a parts store that will install a battery would deal with this issue...might check that out. One method would be to supply 12V from another source to the cables while the battery is being changed out.

This car has had the key cylinder replaced at some point. The car starts and the radio functions at this point....so I'm not looking to cause problems for sure.

The car does have a 2 year old battery and I'd like to remove the cables...clean up the posts and add some di-eletric grease to ensure good contact before winter. Plus I don't need to try to start the car at some point and be stuck in the driveway without warning....PITA.

Will update this IF I ever figure it out. If you steal cars and radios...I'd go for a newer Porsche or BMW before I'd mess with a 20 year old car. ;-)

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,638 Posts
There are devices that plug into the cigarette lighter/power outlet that have a 9V battery inside. They keep the memory alive when disconnecting the battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
the12volt.com is a great resource
you bypass passkey with remote starts,
i believe it takes a resistor…i think there are 12-18 possibles.
you can use a multimeter on the key to measure resistance, and
you also might be able to use a cheap trickle charger

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
the12volt.com is a great resource
you bypass passkey with remote starts,
i believe it takes a resistor…i think there are 12-18 possibles.
you can use a multimeter on the key to measure resistance, and
you also might be able to use a cheap trickle charger
Good website for the details...guess you are saying there 12-18 possible resistance values used...problem I see is that since the system is meant to detect tampering...one mistake and you are up the creek...I guess waiting 10 mins for the system to reset isn't the end of the world...

I ordered a 9V powered "memory saver" (mostly for the LED to indicate current) to get the battery up to snuff for winter...eventually I want to bypass or defeat the passlock system while still keeping all the features that still work with this car...have seen lots of videos but no real proof that all will still work after resistor or whatever is added...

* To summarize what I THINK I know...the PASSLOCK system 2002 uses ign cylinders with various different resistances...if you add a resistor with any one of these resistances and wait the 10 minutes...you retrain the system to use that resistance just as if you installed a new ign cylinder...but the system references the new resistor rather than the current ign cylinder...hopefully bypassing the PASSLOCK system. Since everything works currently...I'll likely wait till next summer before dealing with this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts