Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Malibu lt
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhere I picked up the idea that turbos get very hot, run off exhaust, makes sense? I have gotten into the habit of letting car idle for 1min b4 shutting off, allowing time for oil to be pumped to turbo. Which should pull some heat? Oil specification has been changed 2x since introduction? Piston issue or turbo issue, or both? The 1rst time they put in 0w20 I had to call the dealership and ask what? Any validity to letting oil be circulated to turbo to lessen severity of cool down or just a myth?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,378 Posts
Turbos do run hotter. Single stage run hot, 2 stage even hotter. You aren't hurting anything by idling prior to shutdown. Is it cooling down any more by idling a minute without frontal airflow? I doubt it, since it is already cooled by oil and coolant. I don't intentionally idle prior to shutdown to "cool the turbo". I haven't had any engine or turbo problems at all nearing about 110k.

The oil spec is interesting. The 2016 and 2017 1.5 LFV are 5W30. The 2018+ LFV is 0W20. No bulletin has been released changing the spec from 5W30 to 0W20 on the 2016 or 2017. On the my.chevrolet.com materials it still lists 5W30 for the 2016-2017 as does the ACDelco parts catalog. However, some dealers use 5W30 and others use 0W20 when you get a dealer oil change on a 2016 or 2017.

·
Registered
2017 Malibu lt
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never assumed I was doing damage idling down for 1 min. Certain mfgs turbos have mesh between turbo and tbi and oil catch cans to collect aeresolized oil. Or people install afterwards. So oil is pumped to turbo for lubrication or cooling purposes? And some leaks into air/fuel stream under pressure? So, yes. My dealership goes the 0w20, I ask a bit light for summer. It's fine. Turbo issue or piston issue, neither or both?

·
Super Moderator
3,378 Posts
So oil is pumped to turbo for lubrication or cooling purposes?
Both. Oil lubricates the turbo bearing system and is used to carry heat away. The turbo also receives coolant to passively dissipate bearing housing heat on shut down.

·
Registered
2017 Malibu lt
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. Unaware of coolant being diverted to turbo? My habit of letting fluids circulate 1 min b4 shutting off will continue. Have read too many posts of turbo had to be cleaned. Any opinion on oil entering air/gas stream? Do not think I have stock oil catch system, seems to be likely cause of tbi fouling?

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,481 Posts
If you are worried about the longevity of the turbocharged engine due to the heat, skip the cooldown process and just fill the car with premium gas during summer. That will go much further in keeping your engine healthy.

·
Registered
2017 Malibu lt
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have learned in my 10 months on this forum, don't bring up auto stop or methods to defeat it. Never wanted to bring up gas quality, ie octane rating. Can of worms I don't want to open! Have just come across many past posts "had turbo cleaned" or "throttle body cleaned". Just curious about normally functioning turbos aerosolizing oil into air/gas mixture causing throttle body fouling? I have never noticed any notable oil loss, but co-worker did tell me once following me, when I accelerated hard(30mph to 60mph) he smelled oil?

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
I've not read threads on having the Turbo cleaned on this Forum...as for the throttle body needing to be cleaned, that has little to do with the Turbo but more to do with the engine design...all of them that use a throttle body...

as for octane...doesn't it mention in your owners manual that it is recommended to use Premium 91 or better Top Tier gasoline (it does for the GF's 2013 2.0T)...while some will say it doesn't matter, the manufacturer thinks it does matter...I rarely read of people who are following the owners manual having issues with their cars, Turbo or not...

Good luck with your car

Bill

·
Super Moderator
3,378 Posts
There is an OE oil catch can on the 1.5. It is on the outlet duct just after the air filter box. I've attached a picture with some labeled parts as follows:

A = turbo coolant feed pipe
B = turbo coolant return pipe
C = OE catch can
D = air box outlet duct

Ditto on the above. I have seen two posts suggesting cleaning of the turbo - that's a non-event. There are a few posts about throttle body cleaning but that isn't anything special to gen9 or turbo cars. Throttle body cleaning is quick and cheap anyway. I have seen one report of turbo replacement on a gen9 car. All of that against 800,000+ on the road in the USA alone.

The 93 octane recommendation is related to the 2.0T LTG cars as far as the manual is concerned. The manual indicates minimum 87 for the 1.5T. That said, I also use premium 93 in the summer months from about May-September.

Your biggest threats as far as costly repairs are clogging of the PCV orifice in the camshaft cover (uncommon) and pistons (rare). To mitigate risk just use quality dexos1 gen2(soon gen3) oil changed at routine intervals. Use quality gasoline from a station selling licensed top tier fuel. Perform other maintenance such as changing engine air filter at least every 45k and spark plugs at 60k.

Attachments

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I have the 2.0T in my 17 Regal GS and I let it idle before shutting down, since the turbo is both cooled by oil and coolant. Run 91 octane, 5w30 oil with Wix/NAPA filters, keep doing what you're doing your not hurting anything. ;)

·
Registered
2017 Malibu lt
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your input! I have always found this forum to be great for my stupid questions getting knowledgeable answers. Pictures & diagrams are appreciated, worth 1k words. Unrelated to this thread, tsb #19na206 repair has resolved shift to park issue(almost 2 months). Procedure for checking tranny fluid level beyond my skillset and patience. $50 to have DS check or $225 for basic trans service, does 25k in 18 months(previous owner) qualify as severe use? Compared to my 15k in 29 months. Having gotten in the habit of counting shifts lately, 3rd to 4th not smooth when cold.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
this...I keep seeing this showing up on various Forums that you need to keep the turbo running by idling the engine after stopping and as Premier2021 stated this hasn't been required for many, many years...I wonder why this seems to be popping up again???...

Bill

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,638 Posts
Old habits die hard.

In 1834 “The New-England Magazine” printed an instance with a different vocabulary: …error will run half over the world while truth is putting on his boots to pursue her…

·
Super Moderator
3,378 Posts
Procedure for checking tranny fluid level beyond my skillset and patience. $50 to have DS check or $225 for basic trans service, does 25k in 18 months(previous owner) qualify as severe use? Compared to my 15k in 29 months. Having gotten in the habit of counting shifts lately, 3rd to 4th not smooth when cold.
The procedure for checking trans fluid is irritating. It is best to follow the severe maintenance schedule. GM rates just about any driving as severe - extremely hot weather, extremely cold weather, hilly terrain, towing, frequent city driving, more than 12000 miles annually. I wouldn't pay money to have someone check the fluid since the process requires attention and some judgement. Try and get a drain and fill if possible or the dealer service.

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
this...I keep seeing this showing up on various Forums that you need to keep the turbo running by idling the engine after stopping and as Premier2021 stated this hasn't been required for many, many years...I wonder why this seems to be popping up again???...

Bill
IRRITATING ain't it. :LOL:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts