Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Two minor issues

6K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Speedster 
#1 ·
I guess it's time to return to the dealer...at 6800 miles:

The TPMS reminds me to Check Tire Pressure every time I start the car...the DIC states my tire pressures are 24 PSI. I've checked...all the tires are inflated to 32 psi. I wonder what causes that?

The driver's door glass AUTO UP switch isn't. I wonder why not?

Oh, and the OLM states 10% oil life remaining. Wow, I would have normally changed the oil twice by now.

I hope the service department can get everything fixed in one day. :)

#2 ·
The OLM most likely is normal (it was around that for my 08 LTZ). Most people can go far longer than the 3000 mile interval, meaning, if it makes you feel better doing oil changes that often, go ahead, but be aware that it's most likely money down the drain.

For the TPMS, have you tried more than one guage to verify that yours isn't out of calibration? If so, definitely an issue with the car.

Good luck getting your car back up to snuff.

#3 ·
Is that your only set of tires with TPMS in them? I could see something like that happening if you put on, say winter tires with sensors, put the all seasons to the garage somewhere. This way the TPMS will still read the old tires unless you do the sensor matching procedure.

Also - do the TPMS readouts change at all if you change the pressure in the tires?

#6 · (Edited)
Nope, auto up can not be disable. Just checked the manual. It is interesting that auto up is not even mentioned in there. I could not find it any where. I also posted the user manual online so you can check. See if your eyes are better then mine.
BTW, your OLS is normal for that mileage. For the tire pressure warning, I would try to reset the TPMS

#7 ·
hoahai-The manual you posted is different than the 2008 manual that came with my car.
On page 2-16 of my manual it says "if the battery on your vehicle has been recharged, disconnected, or is not working, you will need to reprogram the driver's power window for the express-up feature to work. To program the driver's window, follow these steps:
1. With the ignition in ACC/ACCESSORY, ON/RUN or when Retained Accessory Power is active, close all doors.
2. Press and hold the power window switch until the window is fully open.
3. Pull the power window switch up until the window if fully closed.
4. Continue holding the switch up for approximately two seconds after the window is completely closed.

The window is now reprogrammed."

I just noticed that the manual online is for the Malibu Classic so that may be the difference.

#8 ·
Thanks for responding.

The TPMS started acting up last week when I backed out of the garage with temp at -7 degrees. The OEM tires are at 32 psi (checked with my super duper gauge from my racecar days and a cheap stick-type pocket gauge)

Even though the battery has never been disconnected or discharged., I tried the reprogramming technique posted by Sparks...no change.

I've trusted the OLM since my 1st GM vehicle that was equipped with the system. I figure the folks that designed and implemented it are lots smarter than me. If GM's system says the oil life is good for 7000 miles, they must have confidence that warranty claims due to extended oil changes won't come back to kick them in the arse. My Duramax equipped truck has, on occasion, made it to 10K ...even with towing my 13K lb 5th wheel around the country. My Malibu is a "city car" and rarely sees the highway. I check the dipsticks regularly...and haven't had to add a drop of oil to either vehicle between oil changes.

I'll get to the dealer next week...the weather is too nice this week so I'm playing golf!

#9 ·
Well, I “learned” a couple of things today.

From the mouth of the circus advisor: “Your tires were underinflated. They were set to 32 psi. That’s not enough pressure for a 17” tire. The sidewall states max pressure to be 40 psi…you have to inflate them to at least 35 psi before the TPMS warning shuts off.”

When I pointed out the manufacturers tire placard states the tires should be inflated to 30 psi COLD, he said: “Well, I don’t understand why they put that low of a number on the sticker. You’ll get better tire wear and gas mileage if you run them higher. That sticker doesn’t make any sense to me.”

When I started the car, the TPMS warning was off but, the pressure readings on the DIC indicated that the pressures were now 27 to 28 psi…not the 35 psi that he reported the technician had set. His response: “Those sensors aren’t all that accurate. You’ll have to keep the tires up to keep the warning light off.”

The repair order stated that the “Express Up’ feature for the LF door glass was NPF…No Problem Found. I guess that means the technician determined that my car is not equipped with the express feature that worked for the first 5 months of ownership???

I suppose I’ll be a bit less tolerant when I take the car back tomorrow. I didn’t feel like arguing…Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

#12 ·
Absolutely unbelievable. The technician is DEAD WRONG on the tire pressure issue. THe correct inflation is listed on the placard on the door. It is unsafe to drive the car with air pressure significantly higher or lower than the pressure on the door placard. 40psi would certainly lead to a worse ride, uneven tire wear, and increased chance of tire damage. Amazing that we pay these clowns $100 per hour and they know nothing. I'd definitely go to a different dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.