Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 quick questions.

1 - Does the sunroof go in between the roof and the headliner when open or does it go up and over the outside roof ?

2 - Whats with the Chorme-Tech rim option - when I looked at one the other day - it didnt feel like a real chrome rim - it kind of felt like a cover over the rim. I know its not a hub cap - but it didnt look like a true chrome dipped rim.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
1 Between
2 Yes they are plastic covers

·
Registered
574 Posts
1. It goes up and over. It has a "vent" feature it which the back end rises up a little, and a slide feature... where it slides and sits over the roof. Also, I know the LTZ model has a fully automatic sunroof that slides with just one push of the button, or you can keep your finger on it and go to anywhere in between.

2. This is not a question. Lol

·
Registered
574 Posts
1 Between
2 Yes they are plastic covers
Haha... You should go and check your sunroof if you think it is going in. Lol

·
Premium Member
391 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
I thought the 18" 5-spoke bright Chrome-Tech wheels were cast and not the plastic chrome wheel covers standard on the LT. I think they are the same chrome wheel you see on some Pontiac G-6s.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Which model do you have?

The sunroof (moonroof actually, I believe) goes up and over. There is no room for it to go in the headliner and with the curves, etc. it wouldnt work. If it goes in between it is some sort of funky aftermarket mod.

In searching for Chrome Tech I found this:
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f19/chrome-tech-wheels-define-16509/

Could be a cast aluminum wheel with a plastic chrome wheel cover that is glued on. I didn't know they were glued on. If this information is correct anyway, that is what they are. I know that there are some steel spoked wheels out there too with plastic chrome covers that look decent. Since the wheel is spoked, and the cover is designed to match perfectly, you cant see any non-chrome parts of the wheel in the gaps, and it looks legit from a distance.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply guys - I thought those rims felt kind of 'cheap' - they look good from a far - but as soon I touched them - the felt like plastic....I cant believe GM would do something like that.

As for the sunroof/moonroof - thats kind of what I thought - does anyone have any pics of it opened. I knew the G6 did this - but I wasnt sure the Malibu did - thanks for the info.

Another question - I have only been in Malibu's with a sunroof - do you get more headroom with or without the sunroof ?

The reason I am asking is that there is a nice Black Granite 2LT that I want to take a look at this weekend -but it doesnt have a sunroof. Just want to know ahead of time so I dont waste the dealerships time.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I don't think it matters for headroom. The type of moonroof (or sunroof if you will) that slides in to the headliner does cut in on your headroom. This type either doesn't or doesn't take away from the headroom very much because if slides up and out the top of the car. Either way, I am pretty tall and I have no issue whatsoever with the headroom.

I disagree about the wheels. This is a much cheaper otion for nice looking wheels on lower priced cars. Compared to steel wheels it looks better and is a pretty solid construction, and likely more solid than the snap on type. To get true chrome wheels you would have to pay more, and they are available with different trims. What you are describing, compared to basic wheels, seems better to me. In fact a lot of the snap on covers would also seem better than nothing in a lot of cases.

I'll see if I can find a picture with the sunroof open.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The drawbacks for this type of moonroof system is that it can't fully retract so the opening is never fully clear, and you have the window sticking up and out, so it looks diffeent and isn't as streamline, nor is the glass protected when open, but it is good for other reasons.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks slhaas !!! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.