Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Great site very informative. I had a question I hope someone can help me with. I just purchased my mother-in-law's '05 Malibu LT V6 with only 31 km on it (19,000 miles). I have two small children and was concerned about the Ultra Lux material the seats are made from. Can I Scotchgaurd this fabric or will it get ruined?

Thanks

·
Registered
749 Posts
I don't know much about the UltraLux seats (even though I have them).. assuming they're the same as the 2008-2009 ones, I have read about other people Scotch-guarding the seats. You may want to wait on another response to verify this though.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hello everyone. Great site very informative. I had a question I hope someone can help me with. I just purchased my mother-in-law's '05 Malibu LT V6 with only 31 km on it (19,000 miles). I have two small children and was concerned about the Ultra Lux material the seats are made from. Can I Scotchgaurd this fabric or will it get ruined?

Thanks
There is a similar thread I found: http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11510

You could probably use some protectant you find at a shoe store for suede shoes, but I'd be very conservative in applying it. I wouldn't use any cleaning chemical though, and personally I wouldn't use the protectant either. You can also pick up a suede cleaning tool (basically an eraser) which works really well at cleaning it up, making it look new and fluffing it out a bit, but you need to be gentel with it, and a lint brush may work better for this application and material.

It isn't real suede though, so you really don't need to seal or protect it. There is a link in the other thread to care for ultrasuede (basically what this is) so check this out too:
http://www.ultrasuede.com/about/care.html

As a synopsis of that page I'll say that general upkeep is about brushing the fabric with a lint brush, and occasionally vacuum it. You can clean most stains by gently cleaning with a damp towel. For oil bases stains you would dampen the towel with ethyl alcohol.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I used to do lint brush but found vacuuming is much more effective and faster. The ultra lux looks great after it gets vacuumed. If you have a vacuum with long hose like mine, vacuuming is not harder and should take you several minutes to do all the seats.
Don't bother to put anything on it. I did try one product used for leather coat but did not see anything different. It actually can make thing worse

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I will keep this in mind. Maybe ordering up a set of the Katzkin leather seats may be in the cards.:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just read the instructions on a can of water-based Scotchguard, it specifically says not to be used on synthetic suede.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If I'm right the only thing you can do is use a damp cloth to clean up spots on this material, anything else will ruin it. I thought this material was supposed to be less subject to staining.
I Agree, a damp cloth, some warm water, and a good vacuum is all I would use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.