Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had my 2LT for a few days and have a problem I can't seem to figure out.

I feel like I am in a very uncomfortable driving position. I have made all the usual adjustments and just can't find my "spot". It seems like I am sitting too far to the right and the side of the seat is digging into my lower back.

I have had back problems all my life and can feel this problem aggravating it. It almost feels like the seat is not straight left to right, if that makes sense.

Has anyone else had this experience?

· Registered
165 Posts
I too have back problems and at first I had trouble finding the right spot.

Adjusting the steering wheel helped for me and I usually take my wallet out. When I was seeing the chiropractor, it was mentioned that the thick wallets some of us carry cause you to sit kind of crooked.

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,155 Posts
I had mine detailed last week. It took a number of miles and adjustments to find my sweet spot again. Oh if only we had a memory feature for the seats!

I'm gonna try that wallet idea.

· Banned
808 Posts
I also had this problem with the Malibu seats. Taking my wallet out helped. The seats don't seem to be wide enough and your butt/legs seems to sit on each side of the seat instead of it conforming around you. I know it is a sport sedan cockpit type seat but comfort level is not there, especially on long trips. The bottom part of the seat that you sit on does not adjust down- forward/lower enough for me and puts stress on my lower back. I had adjusted the lumbar support and adjusted the back of the seat, it helped a little. GM needs to correct this with a more plush and softer design. I like the Sport Sedan Design but would like a more comfortable seat. I know a Cadillac would fit all my wants and needs but that is the problem with GM. You have to climb up to that price range to get it. The seats are not terrible but needs tweaking in design. Ford has came up with new testing for safety and comfort. They test and monitor stress points on their designs. GM needs to catch up in their lower line GM Vehicles!

· Registered
177 Posts
does anybody know if there are any GM cars that do have power seats with memory settings that will fit in the Malibus? My fiancee and I have very different setttings and I hate having to try to find that sweet spot all over again. I am 6'4" and she is 5'2"

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting to hear I am not the only person with this problem. I have also heard that sitting on your wallet is bad for your back so I will stop doing that, I guess.

I have never had a car that made this NECESSARY though. I consider that is pretty nasty design flaw. If I would have know this, I would have not bought the car... I am not fitness model but also not that wide. How did this past testing?

· Registered
161 Posts
I have had my 2LT for a few days and have a problem I can't seem to figure out.

I feel like I am in a very uncomfortable driving position. I have made all the usual adjustments and just can't find my "spot". It seems like I am sitting too far to the right and the side of the seat is digging into my lower back.

I have had back problems all my life and can feel this problem aggravating it. It almost feels like the seat is not straight left to right, if that makes sense.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Yep.

I was "on the road" for fifteen months straight, and rented cars for a month at a time. Had an opportunity to rent several different types of cars, including a 2009 Malibu LT and LS, and a new 2010 LTZ. Traveled 230 miles to my job location, 5 - 12 miles a day back n' forth from the job and hotel, and then at the end of the week, another 230 miles back home.

The LT seats were fair, but I ended up using a pillow for my lower back 'n butt. LS seat were about the same. There was no way I could adjust the seat to fit me without significant backache unless I was using additional support.

I finally got my hands on a new LTZ, and hung on to it for about 7 months. The first time I took it on the road, I brought my trusty pillow as usual, but found that I didn't need it then, or ever again. Between the construction of the leather seats and the multiple adjustments, I was good to go.

Now, you talk about a tendency to sit to the right on your seat - that's interesting, since I've noticed I occasionally have done that, too, but not often. It was a "cultural shock" moving from an extended cab '98 F-150 w/captain's chairs to the Malibu, but I thought that I'd finally adjusted from sprawling out in my seat when I drove the truck to the smaller seat & space of the Malibu. Ummmmm... maybe not.

Savatage, there's a solution for the problem - you'll figure it out. If you've just purchased a new Malibu, hell, why don't you take it back to the dealer fast & work your way into a LTZ, or a LT2 with the leather upgrade (I saw ONE this year at a Hertz lot). Don't laugh - could be worth a try, other car manufacturers do this, and although it may be more coin than you want to spend, it can spare you some very long term grief & misery.

Last of all: please, for the LS & LT owners out there, I mean no offense. A seat that feels like crap to one person could be true nirvana to half a dozen other folks. With any seat, or any car for that matter, your personal mileage may vary.

Just realize that no matter how bad the seat may feel, I don't think any car was as bad as the 2009 Mitsubishi Galant I had for one week, and took that torture chamber back to Avis pronto - it DESTROYED my lower back.... by the end of the week when I returned home, I was literally staggering around because my back hurt so badly. The seats were about at the level of quality of the rest of the car: gar-bage'.

And for this, I do NOT apologize!:D

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I spent $200 getting it tinted this weekend so returning it is probably not an option.

I am assuming my salesman will call me someday soon to check on things and remind me of the survey. I will be sure to complain about this, but I really doubt there is anything he can do.

Maybe I will try some type of pillow in the bottom of the seat. Nothing is worth destroying my back even worse than it is now. You can keep all the bells and whistles, fancy wheels and Bose. There is no feature more important than comfort.

Lesson learned: A car is a multi year, expensive, depreciating investment. Do more than test drive it for a couple of minutes. Be an even bigger pain in the ass than I normally am and make sure I am 1000% satisfied.

· Registered
161 Posts
Holy cow, that is alot for tint.
Yeah, it sure is, but I paid just that to have my Bu tinted two weeks ago.

Got the 3M tint instead of the LLumar stuff, and that drove up the price a good $60. I know the guy, does top notch work, and my car is no exception.

I had the wife's '90 Honda Accord coupe tinted with 3M back in '91 - about $130.

· Registered
161 Posts
I spent $200 getting it tinted this weekend so returning it is probably not an option.

Don't rule it out - the tint could be a "dealer installed option".

I am assuming my salesman will call me someday soon to check on things and remind me of the survey. I will be sure to complain about this, but I really doubt there is anything he can do.

You're right - don't expect any sympathy or support.

Maybe I will try some type of pillow in the bottom of the seat. Nothing is worth destroying my back even worse than it is now. You can keep all the bells and whistles, fancy wheels and Bose. There is no feature more important than comfort.

Exactly. Life's too short to put up with stuff like this. It happens. If it's that uncomfortable, take it back. I did exactly that with a set of Michelin LTX M/S tires for my truck four years ago. The truck handled like it was on four soft kegs of beer, and rode like absolute crap. Took 'em back, and swapped them out for Michelin SUV tires. Huge improvement in handling and ride, and problem was solved.

Lesson learned: A car is a multi year, expensive, depreciating investment. Do more than test drive it for a couple of minutes. Be an even bigger pain in the ass than I normally am and make sure I am 1000% satisfied.
Don't be too hard on yourself. Look at it this way: I'd say at least a third of the new cars & trucks being sold nowadays have crummy seats. I go to car shows every year, and I've been astonished at the sucky seats and poorly designed interiors that some pretty pricey cars have had. They seem to be getting slowly worse each year.

My point? People are buying these vehicles every day, and many are less than happy with the accomodations. Take any car, look at some online owner reviews, and you'll be surprised at the complaints.

Take the car BACK. You won't know until you try.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.