Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,596 Posts
GM dealers have any potential updates and they don't distribute files. I doubt there are updates for the 2016 Limited since it was a fleet sales car and the final year of gen8. I think you can purchase SPS subscriptions through the ACDelco TDS system but you need the gizmo to download and store.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah yikes, I heard you can go into the dealership and they can do an update. Not sure if that’s true but I’m debating it. My Bluetooth sometimes won’t play my music off my phone and I’d have to mess around with it just to get it going. But the radio works fine just the Bluetooth music that’s glitchy

· Super Moderator
4,596 Posts
You can definitely go to the dealer and they can update if there is an update. There just isn't anywhere free to download and update yourself.

· Super Moderator
4,596 Posts
Does your MyLink have the menu that reads something like "software information"? On my gen9 it has that menu and I can connect a USB and it saves all the software/firmware version info to the USB. If yours has that or a menu you can at least see version info I have access to a system that check see the current available packages. You use your VIN to check and can compare the current version with what you have installed. Could save you $150 for the dealer updating nothing other than overwriting what is already there.

Not to be a downer, but I already searched bulletins to see if the 2016 Limited has an update affecting Bluetooth problems. Doesn't exist. Bluetooth stuff is always either a need to reset the car or reset the phone. Bluetooth works fine on gen8 if the hardware is functioning.

· Super Moderator
4,596 Posts
I'll check - I won't be back to my desktop for a couple hours.

I hid your VIN from public view.

· Super Moderator
4,596 Posts
There is a chance there is an update you don't have. There is one update for "improved operation". Vague as these sys notes often are.

These things are always versioned by part number. Here is a link to poke around yourself: TIS

Attachments

· Super Moderator
4,596 Posts
The system I linked just shows if there are updates available. In my gen, I can dump the config information to a USB and it gives me my current config of radio-related modules and current installed version in the form on the part number you see in that system. If it works the same on yours you could compare your version with available updates. All this does is save you the time of going to the dealer and/or potentially paying a diagnostic and/or update fee if you are already running the latest version. The dealer probably wouldn't even check they'll just update and write "updated radio software to latest version per customer concern" and tally the charges.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
didn’t see any of the updates I already have on there they all are different numbers so I’m not sure but I want the latest one. Just might have to go to the dealer and see what they say. Would be easier if we can download it and install ourselves.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts