Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got my 97 Malibu about a month ago has some small problems the back window didn't go down, faded tint, no A/C, clar coat pelling off on the back side but not to bad and other minor stuff so I decided to go to the junk yard and get all the stuff that I was missing or wasent working so this is what I've done to the car so far

Installed a JVC head unit
Fixed the A/C
Installed a new rail and motor for the back window
Removed Tint
Installed a rear view mirrow from a cadillac devile w a compass, and auto dimmer
Installed a OEM fog switch

Next on my list is to put in a new key ingnition switch since I sometimes I seem to have a problem turning on the car, putting 35% tint on the windows and adding some clear coat to the back side where it's pelling off and installing some fog lights and wax the car. My goal is to make look as new as possible and adding some updated stuff to make it more cofortable and reliable, I will keep you guys updated on the work and post pics of the car as soon as I can.

·
Registered
307 Posts
from a personal experience...just don't go over board...I was almost done with my car...needed paint and that was all and looked back and went..."damn i have WAY too much money in this car" now it is parted out back to stock

·
Registered
493 Posts
Guess you plan on running wiring so you can put a set of fog lights on your Bu? Ignition problem is something many with a 97-03 have experienced once, a worn ignition tumbler and key can really be a pain. Did you have to add any wiring for the Cadillac rear view mirror?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah the key thing is a real pain in the a** especially when Im out away from home but I sprayed some WD40 inside to lubricate the key pistons and what I found out was if you put the key in all the way in and then just pull it out about 1/4 inch and then tap the key back in all the way that usually works and my ingnition key was really bad and w that technic I haven't had any problems. On the rear view mirrow yeah I had to run some wires just a positive and a negative. I just want to make it a decent reliable car anyways here are the pics..........

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I got the car waxed this weekend and I was bored at work today so I decided to paint the grill on the car w some black vinyl paint that I have I'll post the pics up later.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's been a while since I posted on here done some minor stuff to the car. Got the OEM fog lights at a local junk yard, installed some AC delco spark plugs, did a radiator flush and put in some antifreeze w dexcool, new egr valve since my last one went bad, Got new rotors just have not installed them yet and new front shocks I promise I will post pics sometime this week lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well after reading some information about the dexcool antifreeze Im going to flush out my system and put in the regular antifreeze it just makes me mad that GM says to use it when it's been proven to be bad for the seals and gaskets.......

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well after reading some information about the dexcool antifreeze Im going to flush out my system and put in the regular antifreeze it just makes me mad that GM says to use it when it's been proven to be bad for the seals and gaskets.......
Just be sure to flush it REALLY good. The chemical reaction between the pink suff and the green stuff causes a gelatinous goo to form.

My 99 Olds Intrigue went 140,000 miles plus with no cooling system failures what-so-ever. Ran great even on the day I traded her.

·
Registered
493 Posts

The ONLY reason the Dex-Cool is a problem is because GM used a plastic/steel LIM gasket which over time gets eaten up by the Dex-Cool within about 4 to 5 years. GM didn't catch this and there was a class action lawsuit against GM over the LIM issue. It was a mistake that GM made and didn't have enough testing with the Dex-Cool. This affected GM's 3100 engines in several models from 97 up to 2001 or 2002, after those years GM went with a different style of LIM gasket that will withstand th Dex-Cool. Thre is revised LIM gasket made by Fel-Pro and it runs aroun $97.00 and it's of rubber/steel and holds up better than the old design LIM gasket. I've changed out the LIM for the revised one and still use Dex-Cool without any issues, or equivalent extended life coolant.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well for me it was just cheaper to change the anti freeze lol I also installed some 6k hids on it for I needed to run a wiring harness w a relay but did not ground the ground wire since it seems to make the lights to come on w out having the car on or the switch I just used the ground from the plug

·
Registered
7 Posts
The ONLY reason the Dex-Cool is a problem is because GM used a plastic/steel LIM gasket which over time gets eaten up by the Dex-Cool within about 4 to 5 years. GM didn't catch this and there was a class action lawsuit against GM over the LIM issue. It was a mistake that GM made and didn't have enough testing with the Dex-Cool. This affected GM's 3100 engines in several models from 97 up to 2001 or 2002, after those years GM went with a different style of LIM gasket that will withstand th Dex-Cool. Thre is revised LIM gasket made by Fel-Pro and it runs aroun $97.00 and it's of rubber/steel and holds up better than the old design LIM gasket. I've changed out the LIM for the revised one and still use Dex-Cool without any issues, or equivalent extended life coolant.
Is there some way of knowing which gasket you have by VIN or some other method? I have a 2002 malibu.

·
Registered
184 Posts
That's really cool with what you did with the mirror. I like the outside temp and compass on them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.