Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I figured out MyLink and strict Flash USB music storage including playlists. Playlists were the hardest to figure out.

If you already know this skip paragraphs until there's something new.

1. MyLink handles every format of music I've thrown at it. 90% of my library is iTunes purchased or AAC (.m4a or .mp4 extension). I have a few .mp3s scattered throughout and no .wma files but they're supported to. Interestingly I was able to look at some jpg files in the picture app but despite them all being taken by the same device - only 25% I tried were recognized. I've read around the Internet that when in park video files can work but that's untested.

2. So, first you need a flash drive of your choosing. I'm using a 128GB with factory formatting. I recommend checking and using FAT32 even though I've read others have had results with other standard Windows format.

3. You need a library of music which you already have probably. MyLink says maximum music files is 10k. I have over 10k - but I recommend keeping at or below that number for stability. File formats above!

4. Here is where it gets easy or confusing depending on how ya think. MyLink in at least my Gen 8 built in 2/2012 uses ID tags to determine everything. What folders or how deep they go doesn't matter.
The most simple way is to copy your music over starting in the folder with Artists. Yes! Copy those to the root directory (that just means no other folders on the glad drive. Select All on the source and drag and drop onto your flash drive.

When done, when you double click on your flash drive it should have Artist folders (including inside Albums>Songs listed in alphabetical order.

If you choose to stop here, MyLink will be able to play and sort your music by artist, genre, etc. This, assuming your music files are as neatly handled/imported as mine. Most music apps (iTunes, WinAmp or other jukeboxes usually fill these spots in automatically if one is connected to the Internet).

5. PLAYLISTS!

As it shows in the manual, MyLink supports many playlist format. .m3u is a standard and what I used.

In your music app, export your playlists - I had 30 - to the same root folder as your music (should be the same as you artists folders).

This last step is the hardest but I think anyone that's used a word processor will get it.

The playlist files (.m3u) are going to point to the files on your computer. You will need to edit and save each one (just once) and you're set!

My files had Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Artist/Album/Song.m4a where
mine read Music/iTune/iTunes Music/Def Leppard/Hysteria/Rocket.m4a was (as it was on my computer.

Open each of your playlists in Note Pad, Simple Text or even Word probably will work.

In each playlist, you'll use the Find & Replace feature to make this much more simple. We just need to lance off the:

Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/ section and in the replacement field leave blank - no space just blinking cursor blank! There should be no / at the beginning of the path to your songs in you playlist as displayed below:

When you find "Music/iTune/iTunes Music/" and replace all with blank your playlist should look like this:

Artist/Album/Song.m4a or in my case for real life look like Def Leppard/Hysteria/Rocket.m4a

Make sure you save your file after moving on to the next playlist file!

When you're done, I went out to my car, plugged in the flash drive and left it in ACC for an hour because of course our cars have no 12v constant. I found this time was suitable to complete the Indexing. After the first index future indexing takes quite a bit less time.

I still have the same issue I was hoping to avoid that I was having on my iPod such as dropouts between off/on cycles or going from ACC to Start. Not every time but I have had the dreaded grey USB icon.

The benefit of flash is that unplugging/plugging back in recovers from this in using a Flash drive as opposed to the more sluggish HDD in an iPod classic for instance.

Why this isn't in the users guide, at least the parts that are harder to muddle through. I searched the Internet all week for this - and STILL had to figure out the details for playlists, trying many different things.

I want a job with GM Infotainment.

Happy music listening!

Adam Christian Smith
Owner of The RATT

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for sharing! I love to put some favorite but cannot be deleted songs to my USB drive, hence I can keep them all and play it whenever I want. However, I am Apple Music users, it is hard to keep Apple Music to USB until I found out the way to export iTunes Playlists to USB with TuneFab Apple Music Converter. That's fantastic!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Method

1. Drag and drop filesfolders to your USB stick in any order (folder structure does not matter).

2. Download/install playlist creator 3.6.3 on your computer playlist-creator.en.uptodown.com/windows

3. In play list creator add your music files to the list and save list as something.M3U to the root of the usb stick

4. Edit m3u file with text editor (notepad etc), find .. and replace with .

e.g.

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:342,Use Your Illusion II - 12 - You Could Be Mine
..\Guns N Roses\Use Your Illusion Ii\Guns N Roses - 12 - You Could Be Mine.mp3

becomes

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:342,Use Your Illusion II - 12 - You Could Be Mine
.\Guns N Roses\Use Your Illusion Ii\Guns N Roses - 12 - You Could Be Mine.mp3

5. Insert stick, wait until indexed, Done!

Note this worked in my holden VF 2016 commodore (uses mylnk as well)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Adam-

I have 2015 Chevy Sonic

First - THANKS!

Second - if I understand your post, the root level on my flash drive should have a list of folders with the artist names, (For example Elton John) then I dump all my Elton stuff into that directory.
I noticed in your example that you have " Def Leppard/Hysteria/Rocket.m4a" as the path. is Hysteria a folder in this case?

Third - I have mostly WMA and mp3 files, but I assume an MP3 tag program would work fine. Do you know what field MyLink uses to sort on? It keeps giving me different orders than the track #'s I specify in MP3 tagging software. Also, should I be using 3/9 as an identifier - ie third song of 9 tracks?

Fourth - I imagine backing up the music to my computer, reformatting the flash drive then copying it back periodically would be a good idea. It would help clean up the index file. What's your opinion, we'd like to know... ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok so I figured out MyLink and strict Flash USB music storage including playlists. Playlists were the hardest to figure out.

If you already know this skip paragraphs until there's something new.

1. MyLink handles every format of music I've thrown at it. 90% of my library is iTunes purchased or AAC (.m4a or .mp4 extension). I have a few .mp3s scattered throughout and no .wma files but they're supported to. Interestingly I was able to look at some jpg files in the picture app but despite them all being taken by the same device - only 25% I tried were recognized. I've read around the Internet that when in park video files can work but that's untested.

2. So, first you need a flash drive of your choosing. I'm using a 128GB with factory formatting. I recommend checking and using FAT32 even though I've read others have had results with other standard Windows format.

3. You need a library of music which you already have probably. MyLink says maximum music files is 10k. I have over 10k - but I recommend keeping at or below that number for stability. File formats above!

4. Here is where it gets easy or confusing depending on how ya think. MyLink in at least my Gen 8 built in 2/2012 uses ID tags to determine everything. What folders or how deep they go doesn't matter.
The most simple way is to copy your music over starting in the folder with Artists. Yes! Copy those to the root directory (that just means no other folders on the glad drive. Select All on the source and drag and drop onto your flash drive.

When done, when you double click on your flash drive it should have Artist folders (including inside Albums>Songs listed in alphabetical order.

If you choose to stop here, MyLink will be able to play and sort your music by artist, genre, etc. This, assuming your music files are as neatly handled/imported as mine. Most music apps (iTunes, WinAmp or other jukeboxes usually fill these spots in automatically if one is connected to the Internet).

5. PLAYLISTS!

As it shows in the manual, MyLink supports many playlist format. .m3u is a standard and what I used.

In your music app, export your playlists - I had 30 - to the same root folder as your music (should be the same as you artists folders).

This last step is the hardest but I think anyone that's used a word processor will get it.

The playlist files (.m3u) are going to point to the files on your computer. You will need to edit and save each one (just once) and you're set!

My files had Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Artist/Album/Song.m4a where
mine read Music/iTune/iTunes Music/Def Leppard/Hysteria/Rocket.m4a was (as it was on my computer.

Open each of your playlists in Note Pad, Simple Text or even Word probably will work.

In each playlist, you'll use the Find & Replace feature to make this much more simple. We just need to lance off the:

Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/ section and in the replacement field leave blank - no space just blinking cursor blank! There should be no / at the beginning of the path to your songs in you playlist as displayed below:

When you find "Music/iTune/iTunes Music/" and replace all with blank your playlist should look like this:

Artist/Album/Song.m4a or in my case for real life look like Def Leppard/Hysteria/Rocket.m4a

Make sure you save your file after moving on to the next playlist file!

When you're done, I went out to my car, plugged in the flash drive and left it in ACC for an hour because of course our cars have no 12v constant. I found this time was suitable to complete the Indexing. After the first index future indexing takes quite a bit less time.

I still have the same issue I was hoping to avoid that I was having on my iPod such as dropouts between off/on cycles or going from ACC to Start. Not every time but I have had the dreaded grey USB icon.

The benefit of flash is that unplugging/plugging back in recovers from this in using a Flash drive as opposed to the more sluggish HDD in an iPod classic for instance.

Why this isn't in the users guide, at least the parts that are harder to muddle through. I searched the Internet all week for this - and STILL had to figure out the details for playlists, trying many different things.

I want a job with GM Infotainment.

Happy music listening!

Adam Christian Smith
Owner of The RATT
Hi Adam-

I have 2015 Chevy Sonic

First - THANKS!

Second - if I understand your post, the root level on my flash drive should have a list of folders with the artist names, (For example Elton John) then I dump all my Elton stuff into that directory.
I noticed in your example that you have " Def Leppard/Hysteria/Rocket.m4a" as the path. is Hysteria a folder in this case?

Third - I have mostly WMA and mp3 files, but I assume an MP3 tag program would work fine. Do you know what field MyLink uses to sort on? It keeps giving me different orders than the track #'s I specify in MP3 tagging software. Also, should I be using 3/9 as an identifier - ie third song of 9 tracks?

Fourth - I imagine backing up the music to my computer, reformatting the flash drive then copying it back periodically would be a good idea. It would help clean up the index file. What's your opinion, we'd like to know... ;)

THANK YOU ADAM!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts