Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.

Did anyone try to play music from USB on models 2017 and 2018?

I have 2018 LT 8" touch screen, but there's no option for USB not from the main setting menu nor from media.

Regards

·
Registered
491 Posts
I use the USB function daily. How to use it is in the owner's manual, or in engineering speak, RTFM. :)

You access USB or Bluetooth streamed music from the media selection button in the 2017 when in audio mode. The newer systems should be the same, when you select audio/music mode select it it'll give you USB or BT to choose along with radio selections.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,715 Posts
What happens when you plug in a USB with music while the car is running? The stereo should auto-detect it.

·
Ultra Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,191 Posts
It also could be a formatting issue in the USB drive. GM hasn't made their mind up between the user manual and separate MyLink guide as both list different acceptable file system formats. FAT32 always works. NTFS works on mine and the manual says it is supported but the other guide says it isn't so software version may be relevant. Use good ole FAT32 to be sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use the USB function daily. How to use it is in the owner's manual, or in engineering speak, RTFM. :)

You access USB or Bluetooth streamed music from the media selection button in the 2017 when in audio mode. The newer systems should be the same, when you select audio/music mode select it it'll give you USB or BT to choose along with radio selections.
When I press the media button on the touch screen and when the USB drive is already inserted, there is selection for the USB.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It also could be a formatting issue in the USB drive. GM hasn't made their mind up between the user manual and separate MyLink guide as both list different acceptable file system formats. FAT32 always works. NTFS works on mine and the manual says it is supported but the other guide says it isn't so software version may be relevant. Use good ole FAT32 to be sure.
First the USB drive was in fat32 not work.
I just reformatted it to NTFS, still the same problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do appreciate all the replies.

I formatted the USB drive to NTFS after it was FAT32, and in both states still the same problem.
Tried another USB drive and all the same.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,715 Posts
Those should be fine. Hmm. You might have a bad USB port, they should be able to check that and fix it at no charge at a Chevrolet shop.

Does anyone know if there's a way you're supposed to store files on the USB? Like in a folder labeled "MUSIC" or anything like that?

·
Ultra Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,191 Posts
Max is listed as 5000 files on a single USB. What file type (mp3, wav, wma) do you have on the USB? It won't play anything with DRM applied direct from a USB drive.

EDIT - looks like CP and I replied at the same time. No requirement for structure that I know of, I have played USB drives with just a bunch of files in the root directory and regularly listen from a USB with 250 artist folders each containing subfolders for individual albums.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I when I plug the mobile phone via USB it charges directly and can switch to android auto immediately.

Does this enough to be sure that tge USB port has no malfunction?

Regards

·
Ultra Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,191 Posts
If it is charging and connects to Android Auto the power and data is good. Can you try different USB drives? Mine likes Kingston and SanDisk 32/64GB. I am currently using a Samsung FIT+ 64GB.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Many thanks to everyone.
Issue solved by changing to a third USB drive to figure out that the first two look like they are kind of not compatible with the car (CONFUSING, cause they work fine on PC).
In addition, I run the mobile phone in the media transfer mode to make sure that there is no problem with the USB module.
Regards.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Some USB sticks for some reason do not work with some systems. I've seen this happen in the past with electronic test equipment in the lab at work.

If you want a large capacity USB stick that works AND and tolerates high temps (+140F) try the Samsung FIT line. I use one of their stubby USB sticks, been using it for the past 2 years without incident. I went with the Samsung since the the ubiquitous Sandisk units are only good to around 110F, that range isn't high enough for how hot a car's interior can get.

I use one of their 128GB units and my 2017 works just fine with it. One caveat: in my car only FAT32 works. I could not get any USB stick formatted as NTFS or exFAT32 (even the Samsung) to work, maybe it is the audio system's firmware rev. The owner's manual and the infotainment manual conflict with each other on top of that, I spent way too much time trying to get one stick to work.

I had to find a 3rd party format utility to format such a large stick since Win10 won't format anything above 32GB as FAT32.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Im using a single m.2 SSD drive now a days for music. Formatted to NTFS and works the same as the flash drives. "Retired" my 2x 64GB Flash Drives.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,715 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts