Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told the V-6 is on hold because a supplier to one of the GM plants is on strike. Is this true? I did a news search and could not find any info. It was hard enought to get a V-6 before.

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
I was told the V-6 is on hold because a supplier to one of the GM plants is on strike. Is this true? I did a news search and could not find any info. It was hard enought to get a V-6 before.
Lee, I ordered my Bu in mid-November and didn't receive it until mid-January. I was told by the dealer there was an unexpected demand for the "six" that the factory couldn't keep up with. :confused: Then the assembly plant shuts down for 2 weeks over Christmas.

I've heard or read nothing about a strike.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lee, I ordered my Bu in mid-November and didn't receive it until mid-January. I was told by the dealer there was an unexpected demand for the "six" that the factory couldn't keep up with. :confused: Then the assembly plant shuts down for 2 weeks over Christmas.

I've heard or read nothing about a strike.
Yes it was a long wait for me also and I hit the Christmas shutdown. At the time I was told GM wanted to produce 80% I-4s and it would be a long wait to get a V-6. My V-6 was the only V-6 my dealer was allowed to order for the year.
I did another search today on the V-6 hold, and found zip. Mabe it was bum info.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Even when I ordered my 2LT 4 cylinder, the dealership told me it was on hold. Maybe there is a strike or something wrong with the suppliers???

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was also told to forget about a 6cyl for 6 months but that`s up here in Canada I don`t know about the states.

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
Reedmans has 3 LTZs and 5 2LTs in stock now.
I meant on the road. At one time Reedman had 13 Malibu's. Brandow had 1 and it sold in three days. When mine came in, the dealer called and said to come and get it quickly. He had a hard time keeping the other salesmen from showing it to their customers. It was the only one on the lot.

I've never used Reedman. Seems I was tainted by their reputation from back in the '60s and still continue to stay away from them. I'm sure they are much better now, they've been around forever. Rumor says they may buy out McCafferty next.

·
Registered
16 Posts
no the strike is american axle which is the main supplier for gm for axles,steering arms and drive shafts this strike has affected 29 general motor plants and countless suppliers this strike hasnt affected fairfax yet they are trying to push the four for cafe regs the v6 is at high demand and are extremely hard to get a hold of everywhere they will be upping production on these over the next several months to try and meet the demand

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
no the strike is american axle which is the main supplier for gm for axles,steering arms and drive shafts this strike has affected 29 general motor plants and countless suppliers this strike hasnt affected fairfax yet they are trying to push the four for cafe regs the v6 is at high demand and are extremely hard to get a hold of everywhere they will be upping production on these over the next several months to try and meet the demand
I did find the info on American Axle. I believe you are right and the delay is what the dealers have been saying from the start. GM wants to sell more 4s.
We were lucky to get ours considerng I ordered from a small dealer.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mid Jan - news report
The Lansing State Journal reveals the reason Buick Enclave and Chevrolet Malibu sales are stuck in second gear: parts. According to Gary Cowger, GM's group vice president of global manufacturing and labor, "a lack of components" underpins this December's decision to shut down a third shift at Lansing Delta Township factory. "Even if that had kept running, we still wouldn't have been able to make more Enclaves." What's more… "As you know, we put that third shift on for a while to try to ramp up. But at the tooling rates of the supplier base, you'd have to buy another set of vendor tools (to make more parts) and that takes time. We're maxed out from a tooling standpoint." Cowger also implied that the Chevrolet Malibu drought is down to the same parts problem. "What we're doing right now with the Enclave and CTS and (Chevrolet) Malibu is doing a very detailed analysis of the bottlenecks in the supplier community so you can invest in the right tool sets out there and increase the capacity of that product at the plant." Cowger admits GM underestimated demand for all three cars, but said it's "a good thing." Try telling that to the 1000 GM workers who got laid off, or the GM dealers desperate for product to sell. Oh and don't think we've forgotten that back in October, when GM announced they were shutting down the third shift, they told the LSJ they "eliminated the third shift to keep from overproducing the crossover vehicles made there." I wonder why they didn't bring up the parts issue then?

·
Registered
326 Posts
"Laying off" GM employees is a relative term. I believe due to union agreements, they must keep these people on the payroll for 18 months or 2 years. If I get laid off I'm lucky to get 2 weeks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
found out today if the strike keeps going the cobalt plants will be shut down by 4308 or4408 laid off employees do not get 2 years the list of plants comes out this morning how long they have product to keep going parts are getting hard to come by for all gm products

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hamtramick MI, and Lordstown OH, plants to close due to American Axle strike at end of business day tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.