Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi new here I just drove the V4 and V6 both nice will be buying one soon just which one, I am getting the 2LT not sure right now which moter any opions on this matter how good the v4 really is. I now have a Mazda6 V6 and a Miata, the Malibu is replacing a 93 Buick
So how is the V4 for long trips, I will be doing 1 to 2 trips to Flordia every year so I'm thinking the V6 unless the V4 can take it in the long haul.
and we keep our cars till there about dead.
Thanks for your comments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want to give up power for a little better gas milage, we keep our cars for until they about die 10 -15 yrs so I'm leaning to the 6 just thinking the 6 will last longer and take a beating better than the 4

·
Registered
795 Posts
I believe the 4 cyl is a inline 4 not a V.
We have only checked 4 or 5 tanks out on the highway. We are getting 27 to 29 so far in very cold weather. The car only has 1,000 miles at this time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our LTZ (6 cy) is averaging about 16 mpg in town with about 1000 miles. We have only taken one roadtrip, but averaged 26 mpg on the freeway ( car had around 300 miles at that time.)

·
Registered
421 Posts
I doubt the Ecotec will wear out any faster than the six, if that's the only real concern. However, the six speed automatic currently is only available with the V6 (until the LTZ 2.4L 6-speed hits the lots sometime this year). The V6 might get just a bit over 30 mpg on all-highway driving in optimum conditions (I expect this for my daily drive this summer, seeing 26-28 right now on a ~60 mile roundtrip 95% Interstate 40 drive in the western NC mountains). The 2.4L will probably improve on that fuel economy by 3-5 mpg.

So a lot depends on what you want to see from the car. But I highly doubt the engine's reliability will become a difference between the two choices.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We will be taking our LT2 with the 4 on a trip from the Detroit area to Florida in a week. When we get back I will post how things went. The 4 performs very well and seems very well suited for the car. I have the 6 in my G6 coupe and the main thing I notice about the 4 is the extra down shifts. GM has had a good track record with some durable 4s in recent years so I would not expect that to be a problem. I would think at the price they are predicting for gas you could easily offset any maintenence over the long haul with the gas savings, if more maintenece was required. I would say the 4 looks like it will be easier to maintain yourself than the six. If you were doing mostly expressway driving then the difference between the two might favor the the 6 from a longevity standpoint. Good Luck on your decision.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the LT2 with a 4 cyl 2.4 I like it very much and as I state in another post I had a HHR with the same 4 cyl and this one has more power due to the gearing.My concern was that I had very good gas mileage with the HHR and I think this one should be around the same,I didn`t want to get less.It`s a great car and for me the 4 cyl is plenty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone. I've been researching the Malibu since January of 2007. I'll wait until I can find a used one but have taken the 2LT out for a test drive and absolutely loved it. MalibuCanuk, you have the model and color I love the best - but I don't think I need a sunroof! The titanium interior is so much better than the dark interiors of the Hondas I've owned in the past. The Malibu will replace an '07 Honda Accord SE.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replys just got back from Fl. dang it's cold here in Mi. now back to the home work of cars jlbell44 looking forward to your responce on how the 4 did on your trip to Fl.

·
Registered
326 Posts
We will be taking our LT2 with the 4 on a trip from the Detroit area to Florida in a week. When we get back I will post how things went. The 4 performs very well and seems very well suited for the car. I have the 6 in my G6 coupe and the main thing I notice about the 4 is the extra down shifts. GM has had a good track record with some durable 4s in recent years so I would not expect that to be a problem. I would think at the price they are predicting for gas you could easily offset any maintenence over the long haul with the gas savings, if more maintenece was required. I would say the 4 looks like it will be easier to maintain yourself than the six. If you were doing mostly expressway driving then the difference between the two might favor the the 6 from a longevity standpoint. Good Luck on your decision.
One of the other cars I'm considering is the G6 coupe. The hard top convertible really intrigues me. With the incentives on G6's, I can probably have the convertible for the same money as a Malibu LTZ.

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
With the incentives on G6's, I can probably have the convertible for the same money as a Malibu LTZ.
Another fine choice, "Boo". I considered it as well, but the wife 'Couldn't Ignore" the Malibu. Do the G6 incentives extend to the HT Convertible? The last time I looked the Convertible was excluded, but that was a while ago.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Right now I'm leaning towards a 2LT with the 4 cylinder. The MSRP on the model I'm looking at is around $24K with sunroof and auto transmission as the major options. I am somewhat concerned because I drive a 3.8L V-6 now in my Grand Prix, and I like the grunt when I need it (such as highway merging). My other vehicle is an Avalanche with a 5.3L V-8, so I haven't driven a 4 cylinder in many years. So I don't know if the difference will be very noticeable.

The main reason I'm looking at the 4 (aside from the price) is that even 3-4 MPG can save me several hundred dollars of gas in a year (I drive 20K miles a year). And the price of gas seems to just keep going up and up with no end in sight.

So has anyone downsized to a 4 cylinder from a bigger engine and was it a performance shock? Is the 4 cylinder noisy at highway speeds? What RPMs do you pull at 65 MPH?

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
So has anyone downsized to a 4 cylinder from a bigger engine and was it a performance shock? Is the 4 cylinder noisy at highway speeds? What RPMs do you pull at 65 MPH?
You need to do the test drive and see what's its got. I can't help you, mine's the V6.

If you decide to try Brandow, see Jim Lynch. He's the sales manager. Call him before you go to be sure he's available. Make sure you know the Invoice Price for the car you want and see how close he comes to it. I'm sure he'll give you the best price.

The only options I ordered were the red jewel tintcoat paint and the rear power package. I've had sun roofs before and rarely used them. It's an $800 option on the Malibu. Some also lower headroom. I'm only 5'8", but I like sitting high and the lower headroom messes up what's left of my hair. :eek:

·
Registered
244 Posts
There is actually plenty of juice in the 4 cyl. 2LT that i got - suprisingly enough to me comming from a Pontiac G6 GT with 252 hp....gas milage a concern? I would stick with the 4 - got mine at supplier price with sunroof and premium audio for 23,982...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Test drive them both - that is the best way to answer your questions.

The 4 was quiet at highways speeds on the test drive. Acceleration was good.

I went with the six.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Test drive them both - that is the best way to answer your questions.

The 4 was quiet at highways speeds on the test drive. Acceleration was good.

I went with the six.
Ditto.
You are spending a lot of money, make sure you are happy with the engine.
Try to drive the 4 and 6 back to back if possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did drive the 4 & 6 back to back, I do have to say the 4 has some get up and go, the 6 is wow I was on the highway and doing 70 then passed another car looked down and was doing 100 that fast, but the 4 is still good with gas prices I'm now leaning to the 4

·
Registered
244 Posts
the 4 is getting me excellent milage, no complaints on power either - sure at times I miss my 6 - but saving some $$$ on gas is key...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Everyone
We just got back from our trip to Florida. We have the 2LT with the 4. Driving 70 to 75mph we averagec 29 mpg door to door from Detroit to Orlando. Coming back I drove a bit faster 75 to 80 and averaged 28 mpg. When on flat level road it was getting 32/33 MPG. I felt it had all the power I needed for passing and safe expressway driving. The engine does not sound like the old noisy 4s at speed. I dont know if this is the engine or the sound deadening of the interior. In all the driving we have done, the low speed city mileage is not as good as I expected. I think they have it programed to stay in 1st and second too long before shifting under accelleration. I can improve the gas mileage quite a bit by forcing it to shift by backing off on the gas. In city driving the 2LT 4 gets the same gas mileage as my Pontiac G6 Coupe with the V6. Overall Im very pleased with the choice of the 4 over the 6 especially in light of the gas prices. It would be good if one of the owners of the 6 shares how the 6 does on a trip.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.