Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,329 Posts
Unlocking the car turns on the high beams, which are the H9 bulbs. The H11 low beams are on the extremity of the corners and the high beams are closer to the grille.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Since I posted that I realized those were the hi beams, my bad it just looked realy out of place once I noticed it was doing that

·
Registered
4 Posts
Seems like the best "set" of things I've found to do is:

1. new bulbs (standard oem)
2. dielectric grease on all connections
3. new wiring harness, then new ceramic pigtales spliced, soldered, and heat shrink tubing on connections
4. remove DRL relay
5. run new ground wire from (-) side of pigtale to the body (clean shiny connections and dielectric grease)

Ive done 3 out of 5 of those.. my new ceramic pigtales will be here in about a day. Part# F90006 on Amazon. $9 ea. ... and the ground wire to the body will be applied at the same time

I will update once I install the new pigtales

I think Im gonna make a video and youtube it.. No videos show ALL these steps, and this is a common common common problem with the 09 Malibus, and also a lot of other makes that use the H11. I suspect we are dealing with a swiss cheese effect where a bunch of the holes line up and a failure gets through.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
They used to make high temp ceramic sockets for high power bulbs back before HID and LED. I pulled the DRL fuse on my old '09. Ceramic socket would be my repair choice over stock plastic.

81 - 84 of 84 Posts