Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Instead of resurrecting my old VIR (Virginia International Raceway) thread with dead links from 2012 I'm starting a new post.

Old one can be found here.
http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/56-general-discussion-generations-5-6/11014-racing-vir-virginia-international-raceway.html

Took my '05 Malibu V6 out to the track again and had a lot of fun without breaking anything (for once).
Here are some videos for anyone interested.

Fastest lap.

Compilation of all passing done. Beginning is me kicking butt in intermediate run group, at 25:30 is when track is opened for a combined session and the expert and instructor run groups get on and show me whats what.

·
Administrator
17,112 Posts
I watched all 3 videos. Great camera position. It's as close to being there as possible without being there. I wish I was in a position to take a spin!

Tell me, what have you done for windage in your oil pan, especially seeing that a FWD engine has to deal with it lengthwise to the pan and not across it like RWD? I have to wonder if some of my "spirited driving" in the past on freeway exit and entrance ramps ever contributed to the engine issue I experienced at 94K miles.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
For the windage issue I had the oil pan dropped and baffles welded in as well as a gate to try and prevent oil from splashing back up the oil return.

Did this when switching to sub 300 treadwear summer tires.

Had an oil and transmission cooler added along with transmission service at the same time.

Original engine and transmission with 176k miles and over a thousand laps on track between VIR and NJMP.

·
Administrator
17,112 Posts
For the windage issue I had the oil pan dropped and baffles welded in as well as a gate to try and prevent oil from splashing back up the oil return.

Did this when switching to sub 300 treadwear summer tires.

Had an oil and transmission cooler added along with transmission service at the same time.

Original engine and transmission with 176k miles and over a thousand laps on track between VIR and NJMP.
Did you, perchance, happen to take any pics of the oil pan mods? I know mine is gonna be different inside, but I suspect that the same method should be able to be used.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had a shop do it due to welding and while I saw what they did before they reinstalled it I didn't take any pics.

Will see if I can find any online that would be a good representation.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know I'm bringing this back from the dead but...

7 Years later and still tracking the Malibu.
Still getting a little bit faster each time.
Got a GPS data acquisition device and now I can do data overlays on my videos.
Here is one I just did a few weeks ago.
Lap time 2:26:09, K24 swap Miata (220ish whp) in front of me.

·
Administrator
17,112 Posts
I was hoping you'd catch that Miata and even pass it, but it just kept getting smaller and smaller...

Dude, I would love (!!!) to modify mine and then track it as well, but alas, that's time and money I just can't free up.

Second choice would be to ride along.

Third would be to be a spectator in the cheering section.

But I also know my limits, so I'll just go with saying I'm jealous (in a good way) and wish you continued success in chasing your dream.

Have you ever considered power-adders, like NOS, so you can boost your acceleration on the straightaways? Or would that put too much strain on the engine and/or trans?

How many sets of brakes and tires do you go through as a result of your sessions?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, that Miata weighs at least 600 lbs less then me and had 50+ hp on me and more then likely track only tires vs my street tires as well as effective aero.

Can't tune the '05 so stock speed governor with these tires limits me to around 107 mph and stock power (165ish whp).
Can't use NOS on track

Rear brakes last me years, front brakes get me 16-20 sessions (20-30 min each) and cost $200.
Tires last 20 - 28 sessions if I do minimal street driving and depending on weather conditions and how hard I push them and cost about $700.

It's not a cheap hobby, needed tires and front brakes and an alignment before this two day track event and all in (gas, hotel, track fees, tires, brakes, alignment, etc...) it ran me just shy of $2,000.
However I am still in good shape for this upcoming spring and can do another two days on track for around $900.

·
Super Moderator
4,569 Posts
You run a fantastic racing line and that looks like a ton of fun. I was wondering why the video looks so familiar, and then I realized it's from all my hours put into various gran turismo games, with the newest versions being incredibly lifelike high-definition reproductions of actual tracks.

What keeps you coming back with the Malibu instead of looking into a more trackable project car?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What keeps you coming back with the Malibu instead of looking into a more trackable project car?
I had a track Miata but it wasn't fun on the streets, wasn't worth keeping for just a couple track weekends a year so I sold it.

I have also become very comfortable with the Malibu at the limits and it takes a lot of track time to get to that point. Over the past seven years I have probably driven close to 1,000 laps at VIR.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts