Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am worried about steering issues, leaks, and certain electrical/traction control issues some Aura's been having (See Saturnfans.com). It wouldn't be a big deal if the problems were fixed quickly but some people seem to be taking their Aura's to the dealer multiple times without the problem being solved. I am just worried since the Aura is nearly mechanically the same as the Malibu. Are these issued being solved with 2008 Aura's/Malibu's? Were these issues rare and only existed on early models?

While I was here I wanted to get peoples impression about the 4 cylinder vs. the 6 cylinder. I was strongly considering getting a 4 cylinder but I have an old 4 cylinder Accord which struggles to get up hills. Just wanted to see what people thought of the 4 cylinder Malibu as far as performance goes. People using the 6 cylinder I would like to hear your fuel economy.

I am interested in getting a 2009 early next year to replace my Accord. Thanks for all your input.

Chris

·
Registered
244 Posts
I am loving the 4 cylander but have a few minor issues - first and second gear need to be tweeked a bit, seems like it shifts either too late into 2nd for my liking, and yes, large hills do put a little strain on the engine until the next shift kicks in - other than a few minor issues the gas milage and the performance of this engine has been stellar!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am loving the 4 cylander but have a few minor issues - first and second gear need to be tweeked a bit, seems like it shifts either too late into 2nd for my liking, and yes, large hills do put a little strain on the engine until the next shift kicks in - other than a few minor issues the gas milage and the performance of this engine has been stellar!
Yea thats why I would want to lean towards the V6 engine, what do people have to say about the V6's fuel economy?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yea thats why I would want to lean towards the V6 engine, what do people have to say about the V6's fuel economy?
I'm at 24.2MPG right now with mixed driving. Car only has 185 miles on it.

I looooooooooooooove this car. I drove the 4 cylinder, then I drove the 6. Once you drive the 6, you can't go back to the four. The extra power is so nice on the highway for passing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm at 24.2MPG right now with mixed driving. Car only has 185 miles on it.

I looooooooooooooove this car. I drove the 4 cylinder, then I drove the 6. Once you drive the 6, you can't go back to the four. The extra power is so nice on the highway for passing.
Thats great, I have mostly highway driving where I am so maybe it can get even better. Now my only concern is with certain issues that might arise with this car since its related to the Aura. I am sure most of these issues were on 2007 models and since it was the first year for that car they didn't work all the bugs out.

I just don't want to buy the car, put a few thousand miles on it, and have it in and out of a the repair shop for some issue they can't figure out and solve. If it was a one time issue where the dealer solved it at no cost to me that would be fine, however.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well seeing the the Aura has been out for a year and a half already. They have probably worked the bugs out of that car making the bugs on the 08 bu less. You are always going to have certain little problems with any car thats just how cars are, but if you do buy one it comes with the 100,000mile 5 year warrenty so any problems that do aquire well more then likely be covered under the warrenty.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I can let you know that I'm coming from over 10 years of V6 cars. I now have a Malibu with the 4 cylinder, and wonder why I thought I "needed" V6's. Don't get me wrong, V6's mean more passing power, but the Ecotec in the Malibu still has plenty of passing power for normal situations. I feel that mine is more powerful on the highway than in the city...and the I mode on the transmission helps for quicker downshifts.

As far as reliability, I had a 2003 Accord that had poor welds, had leaks, a jerky transmisssion, and faulty rotors in my 2 1/2 years and 45,000 miles of ownership (Odometer was faulty as well). Since then, I've had 2 domestic cars, a Ford Fusion and the Malibu. Other than a few rattles, they were rock solid.

Now, every car that is in it's 1st model year of a major change is going to have "teething" problems, and it's just the luck of the draw with that. But, I think the Malibu will be fine as far as issues, and if there are, I'm sure they will get handled quickly. Chevy wants this Malibu to succeed, so they are making sure it is built well.

Hope this helps your decision!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well seeing the the Aura has been out for a year and a half already. They have probably worked the bugs out of that car making the bugs on the 08 bu less. You are always going to have certain little problems with any car thats just how cars are, but if you do buy one it comes with the 100,000mile 5 year warrenty so any problems that do aquire well more then likely be covered under the warrenty.
Yea all the cars I have dealed with had problems, they are machines not perfect. I am aware of the warranty and I am glad to have it I am just worried if I do have an issue they won't be able to solve it on the first try. Maybe not at all.

I can let you know that I'm coming from over 10 years of V6 cars. I now have a Malibu with the 4 cylinder, and wonder why I thought I "needed" V6's. Don't get me wrong, V6's mean more passing power, but the Ecotec in the Malibu still has plenty of passing power for normal situations. I feel that mine is more powerful on the highway than in the city...and the I mode on the transmission helps for quicker downshifts.

As far as reliability, I had a 2003 Accord that had poor welds, had leaks, a jerky transmisssion, and faulty rotors in my 2 1/2 years and 45,000 miles of ownership (Odometer was faulty as well). Since then, I've had 2 domestic cars, a Ford Fusion and the Malibu. Other than a few rattles, they were rock solid.

Now, every car that is in it's 1st model year of a major change is going to have "teething" problems, and it's just the luck of the draw with that. But, I think the Malibu will be fine as far as issues, and if there are, I'm sure they will get handled quickly. Chevy wants this Malibu to succeed, so they are making sure it is built well.

Hope this helps your decision!
Yea but I can tell you stories about my 4 cylinder Accord (Its a 94 BTW). Have 3 people and their luggage in it, it’s a slug. I drove it up some serious hills in West Virginia, barely moved. It’s also fairly hilly where I live in Pennsylvania, to go up minor hills you have to gun it just to make it. Great fuel economy, but the engine is anemic. I plan on taking the Malibu on long trips when I go on vacation, I want something that can handle such conditions.

If I get the 4 cylinder it would be the upcoming LTZ with 4 cylinder/6 speed auto tranny. It’s supposed to improve the fuel economy by 2 MPG and make a few tenths of a second faster. With rising fuel cost I will have to drive both the 6 cylinder and 4 cylinder model and see what will work for me. I don't want another anemic engine, but I don't want a gas hog either. Its going to be a hard decision.

I am not making a pun against this car because it’s made by GM, if I thought this car was going to have terrible reliability I wouldn't even consider this car. My Accord has had issues also but not as severe like you. I have 93k miles on my Accord and I never any issues that prevented me from driving the car safely.

However, less major things have gone wrong on this car that has costed us. Topping the list would be the A/C which we spend over $3k since the year 2000 to keep it running. Just a month ago I had to give it a new refrigerant charge since mysteriously all the refrigerant in the system was gone. Funny these issues happened after a recall related to the A/C.

Our ABS went twice on this car also, another $1,000. Also the fuel gauge never worked properly on this Accord, another thing we had to fix. This car didn't come with a standard Alarm System, the dealer installed the box in a place where it was exposed to water, another $250. These prices I gave you from a non Honda mechanic, if it was the dealer I would have been bankrupt now. This guy was also kind to me and didn't charge me much for the repairs. Mind you other things have gone bad on this car but I don’t remember them all.

The reason I just didn’t get rid of the car was because I expect thing like this to happen over a cars lifetime, but all these issues happened between the 50k mile mark to the present. From the time I bought the car to the 50k mile mark the only thing I ever did on this car was the recommended maintenance the book required.

I know if I bought the Malibu things would break but if it happens at 1000 miles, even 20000 miles that’s way too soon. Minor things the dealer can quickly fix is acceptable but I would be extremely disappointed if I had these hydraulic steering issues that the Aura has that early in its life.

What you said has made me much more comfortable with this car, and I thank you for that. Also how is your Fusion? Its one of the other car I was considering. I am also going to check out the Mercury Sable since its so big and roomy, been on the forums people from 2005 on seem to be happy (Called Montego until 2007).

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well another thing you have to consider is that the engine in general has come a lomg way since 1994. Just look at the V6 in the early 90s that was considered a small engine, now manufactures have found ways to get awesome power out of the V6 and now the engine is considered a mid to larger engine. This is also happening to the 4 bangers a 4cyl in 1994 is nothing compared to the current 4cyl and the ecotec produces pretty good power. I have also heard the the 4 cyl in the new malibus drives like a smaller v6 engine and pulls the weight of the car fine, and thats the 2.4 ecotec doing that. Now if you look back ten years ago they had a 2.4 liter 4cyl and they put it in the those current Malibus and it was barely strong enough to pull the car with peope in it probably like your 1994. So just by taking those examples into consideration engines have come a long way and there only going to get better.

I hope that wasn't to confusing for you LOL!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well another thing you have to consider is that the engine in general has come a lomg way since 1994. Just look at the V6 in the early 90s that was considered a small engine, now manufactures have found ways to get awesome power out of the V6 and now the engine is considered a mid to larger engine. This is also happening to the 4 bangers a 4cyl in 1994 is nothing compared to the current 4cyl and the ecotec produces pretty good power. I have also heard the the 4 cyl in the new malibus drives like a smaller v6 engine and pulls the weight of the car fine, and thats the 2.4 ecotec doing that. Now if you look back ten years ago they had a 2.4 liter 4cyl and they put it in the those current Malibus and it was barely strong enough to pull the car with peope in it probably like your 1994. So just by taking those examples into consideration engines have come a long way and there only going to get better.

I hope that wasn't to confusing for you LOL!
Your logic makes sense and I understand. However, I am willing to bet the Malibu weight's more than my Accord. The Malibu only has another 25 HP more than my car so I am worried the performance will be the same. In fact my Accord is the size of the modern Civic, thats why Honda made the Fit. So its a fairly small car. I am willing to try the 4 cylinder, but I still have doubts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
test drive the car.
call your dealer and ask them if you could have an extended test drive over a weekend or something. get a 4cylinder version and see how you like it. drive it back to back with your accord and see what you think. probably the best way to put your fears to rest.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
test drive the car.
call your dealer and ask them if you could have an extended test drive over a weekend or something. get a 4cylinder version and see how you like it. drive it back to back with your accord and see what you think. probably the best way to put your fears to rest.
I didn't even know such a test drive existed, thanks for the tip I will have to ask.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yea all the cars I have dealed with had problems, they are machines not perfect. I am aware of the warranty and I am glad to have it I am just worried if I do have an issue they won't be able to solve it on the first try. Maybe not at all.

Yea but I can tell you stories about my 4 cylinder Accord (Its a 94 BTW). Have 3 people and their luggage in it, it’s a slug. I drove it up some serious hills in West Virginia, barely moved. It’s also fairly hilly where I live in Pennsylvania, to go up minor hills you have to gun it just to make it. Great fuel economy, but the engine is anemic. I plan on taking the Malibu on long trips when I go on vacation, I want something that can handle such conditions.

If I get the 4 cylinder it would be the upcoming LTZ with 4 cylinder/6 speed auto tranny. It’s supposed to improve the fuel economy by 2 MPG and make a few tenths of a second faster. With rising fuel cost I will have to drive both the 6 cylinder and 4 cylinder model and see what will work for me. I don't want another anemic engine, but I don't want a gas hog either. Its going to be a hard decision.

I am not making a pun against this car because it’s made by GM, if I thought this car was going to have terrible reliability I wouldn't even consider this car. My Accord has had issues also but not as severe like you. I have 93k miles on my Accord and I never any issues that prevented me from driving the car safely.

However, less major things have gone wrong on this car that has costed us. Topping the list would be the A/C which we spend over $3k since the year 2000 to keep it running. Just a month ago I had to give it a new refrigerant charge since mysteriously all the refrigerant in the system was gone. Funny these issues happened after a recall related to the A/C.

Our ABS went twice on this car also, another $1,000. Also the fuel gauge never worked properly on this Accord, another thing we had to fix. This car didn't come with a standard Alarm System, the dealer installed the box in a place where it was exposed to water, another $250. These prices I gave you from a non Honda mechanic, if it was the dealer I would have been bankrupt now. This guy was also kind to me and didn't charge me much for the repairs. Mind you other things have gone bad on this car but I don’t remember them all.

The reason I just didn’t get rid of the car was because I expect thing like this to happen over a cars lifetime, but all these issues happened between the 50k mile mark to the present. From the time I bought the car to the 50k mile mark the only thing I ever did on this car was the recommended maintenance the book required.

I know if I bought the Malibu things would break but if it happens at 1000 miles, even 20000 miles that’s way too soon. Minor things the dealer can quickly fix is acceptable but I would be extremely disappointed if I had these hydraulic steering issues that the Aura has that early in its life.

What you said has made me much more comfortable with this car, and I thank you for that. Also how is your Fusion? Its one of the other car I was considering. I am also going to check out the Mercury Sable since its so big and roomy, been on the forums people from 2005 on seem to be happy (Called Montego until 2007).

It's funny, I tend to buy into the hype about japanese cars being more reliable and better quality and I drive a 2002 Stratus Coupe (RT) with about 80,000 Miles and I haven't had any problems. I am also looking at buying a Malibu and ironically will not buy another chrylser even though mine has been perfectly fine. Although, now that I am writing this my car probably won't start when I go to leave work.

I am still waiting on the 6 speed auto for the 4cyl, bluetooth, and the new remote 2way starter before I pull the trigger. My only other wish and what may keep me from purchasing a malibu is that I would like to have AWD. I live in upstate NY and tend to have pretty harsh winters and would like the piece of mind that an AWD car could give me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I actually traded my Fusion for the Malibu. It was a hard decision, but with the price of gas steady going up, I didn't see the need for a V6 anymore. However, my Fusion was the 1st "American" car I bought, and it was more reliable and handled better than my previous foreign vehicles.

I really think you can't go wrong with either 4 or 6. I think the best value would probably be the 2LT (I'm addicted to the Ultralux seats!)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Rest assured CuriousC, the development of the 4 cylinder ecotech is far advanced and has been engineered to fit this GM car better than any engine of it's size. I just bought the 08' Malibu and did extensive reading and research on this car. I couldn't believe how many articles by JD Powers, Kelly Blue Book, NADA, Edmunds, Car and Driver, Motor trend, and on and on, that I found that really liked this car with the 4 cylinder. Yes, I'd like to have more power cause there's nothing better than lots Detroit steel at your toes, but I opted for fuel mileage this time. The 169 hp eco engine is amazingly smooth, quiet, clean, has plenty of power for this car (size, weight, drag) and what amazed me, comes pretty much standard with all the safety fetaures you would want your family to have. 5 star impact ratings, low insurance rates, some of the best gas mileage out there for a 4 door sedan, and it's just a good looking car.

I've bought nothing but Chevy for decades. I really didn't like the looks of the Impala and the HHR, cobalt, and Monte's (which is what I traded in) are just either too small or not my style. When this Malibu came around, I was more than intrested. Like I said, I did my homework, studied, read the forums, test drove, priced and negotiated with my dealer for a few days then reached in a grabbed the steering wheel and never looked back. This is an awesome car. You won't be disappointed. If you want muscle and power, just dive in to the corvette cause THAT'S as good as it ever gets. Let us know what you decide, but what ever version of the Malibu you purchase, you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
112 Posts
...what do people have to say about the V6's fuel economy?
I'm getting 17mpg +/- 1mpg. with city only driving. I might add that I enjoy using the V6 to it's potential.
What really sold me was the sound of the 6 over the 4 in the cabin at 3/4 quarter throttle +.

I really enjoyed "stuffing" a Saab 9.3 2.0L turbo the other day.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My commute to work is 50% city, 50% highway and I am averaging 19.5 mpg with under 1000k miles on the odometer. I did take a long highway trip and averaged 25.5 mpg.

NOTE: I do attempt to short shift to compensate for those times that my right foot gets heavy ;-) I do love the V6!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have taken 2 trips and I have the 4 cyl. The first trip I drove through the Blue Ridge Parkway from Afton VA to Humpback rocks and there are some grades that are fairly steep but the 4 did just great!
On the interstate with both trips I got 32 mpg but combined with city driving I average 27.3.
I traded a 05 Dakota with a V8 for this that averaged 16 mpg and although I dont have the power that I had with the Dakota I wouldn't want to go back.

·
Registered
22 Posts
With 6000 miles on my V6 LTZ now my fuel economy I'm averaging around 25 mpg with a 70hiway/30city mix of driving. Don't forget the V6 has the hydraulic steering assist instead of the electric steering assist which has been a source of steering problems for GM.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Mostly highway (~95%, 4% rural 2 lane, <1% light-to-light stuff), almost 4000 miles so far on my LTZ V6. The area around here is fairly mountainous, with many hills and one steep section of interstate on my daily drive (~5 miles long). So far I've seen economy between just over 25 and just over 30 (going higher as weather warms up, but the 25.x was when I was driving by the 'break-in' guidelines, staying off the interstates, more stop and go, less constant / cruise use, etc.). The tall sixth gear really aids the V6 to return good economy when cruising the interstate. Also note that I tend to keep to the speed limit (65 or less on my workaday trip).

Forgot to mention- I'm originally from the eastern panhandle of WV, and have made trips through the area of PA / WV to visit my folks, so I understand the road conditions you are probably talking about. The grades were probably just a bit steeper than what I see here, and I still downshift to fifth (or let the car hunt back and forth a LOT) on the local section of steep grade I see daily here in NC. I'd expect the four speed 2.4L to stay in third on the same grade, and the newer 6 speed in fifth which is a 1:1 ratio on the V6, dunno about the 2.4L tranny. I do know that the sixth is just a bit too high for the whole grade, while fifth seems to be a bit low (meaning I can pass anyone easily up the hill in fifth, or hold sixth using the manual and maybe just creep over the top at ~45mph). Where you're talking about, fifth would surely be a must, especially with passengers or cargo.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.