Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the first warranty issue "repaired" on the Malibu. The front rotors were warped. The dealer resurfaced the rotors and said all better. In reality, the rotors will warp again but sooner this time since there is less metal on the rotors.

Come on GM make a car you can be proud of!!

·
Registered
573 Posts
I do notice that the brakes on GM cars are crappy. Whoever they use, they need to cut them.

Also, how hard are you on driving it? Going a little bit easier on the brakes will save you tons in the long run.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife drives the car most of the time. 2 little kids on the back so its not like she is racing the thing.

I have a 166horse motorcycle and a Z/28 if I want to have fun. The 4dr family is not for fun.

·
Registered
144 Posts
ill be honest, im hard on my brakes. im 21, drive on the highway around 80, and stand on the brakes to stop, and just recently i have noticed a warped feeling in my brakes at 15k miles. I think thats excellent for brakes, as i traded in a stratus in september to get the malibu, and every 5k miles you HAD to change the brakes on the stratus... or you couldnt stop, so for me, the mali is a HUGE improvement.

·
Registered
573 Posts
12k miles is great if that is all city honestly. Especially if your wife drives like mine does!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We live 12 miles from the small city so I would say most of our driving is about 40% city.
12k is not great city or highway. GM should be able to make brakes that last longer. The Pontiac Vibe (made by toyota) we had before this went over 36k miles on the original brakes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't feel bad, read my previous post!
Just bought a 09 LTZ last week and have under 200 miles when the front brakes started making grinding noises but only intermittently. I took it back to the Dealer today and they were really surprised at how bad it was after a test drive. The tech took booth front pads off and everything looked ok and no rotor groves. They found a new TSB that just came out May 1,2009. that described the issue. It will not make a noise on initial start up but as the brakes get hot as in stop and go driving they get worse. This is exactly what my problem was. The TSB says to put on new front brake pads and not turn the rotors. We compared the new pads to the old ones and there is quite a difference. They are now replaced and so far so good! Just wanted to give everybody a heads up on this problem.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The Vibe also weighed far less. 2856lbs vs 3600-3700 lbs.

Seriously, I would ride with your wife and see how hard she is braking. The only way to warp them is with heat. The more brake you use the hotter the rotors are going to get.

·
Registered
493 Posts
The Vibe also weighed far less. 2856lbs vs 3600-3700 lbs.

Seriously, I would ride with your wife and see how hard she is braking. The only way to warp them is with heat. The more brake you use the hotter the rotors are going to get.
And with constant stop and go driving there's not much of a cooling down for the brakes. Sorry but most manufacturers on most of the modern cars don't have brakes that are as durable since they have to package them into smaller spaces with the size of the cars. City driving is the worst on brakes and shortens the life of the pads and rotors, the worst part is I've seen cars with 15,000 miles need both rotors and the pads replaced and the owners don't understand why.

·
Registered
44 Posts
the size of the brakes front and rear on the Malibu are rather quite LARGE! Your driving like a jag-off!

·
Registered
307 Posts
If you did that alot maybe. but most people wash their car with hot brakes. the metal is fairly thick but I have seen some really messed up brakes in my short days

·
Registered
489 Posts
This plagued the Grand Am's/Alero's. Their rotors seemed about the same thickness/diameter. I would buy the washing your car with hot rotors, but I washed my Mazda the same way I did the Grand Am and never had issues. Even when I upgraded the brakes on the Grand Am I didn't have an issue. It's something with the Rotors GM uses.

·
Registered
573 Posts
This plagued the Grand Am's/Alero's. Their rotors seemed about the same thickness/diameter. I would buy the washing your car with hot rotors, but I washed my Mazda the same way I did the Grand Am and never had issues. Even when I upgraded the brakes on the Grand Am I didn't have an issue. It's something with the Rotors GM uses.
The rotors on a Grand Am/Alero were about 10" in diameter and very thin. They are FAR smaller that the 11.655" rotors on the Malibu.

I had a Grand Am for over a year then sold it to my brother and he has had it for over a year and a half. We both have put around 40k miles on the car in that time and nothing has happened to the brakes even though there has just been stock replacements put on. Just changed the pads when they wore low and that was it. Its an SE as well so it only has discs on the fronts so they should warp faster than a GT.

It seriously is because GM uses lessor quality rotors and peoples driving habits.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Stop and Go driving doesn't even come close to getting the rotors hot. There is no such as warped rotors, it is a myth and all the BS about crappy products is just BS. Go to this web page and find out about the warped rotor myth: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml .

It doesn't matter who makes the car or how thick the rotors are or what material they are made of. Rotors from all auto manufacturers exhibit the same thumping. As I said before stop and go isn't hard on brakes. If you don't smell burned brake pads with the windows open you haven't used them hard.

Bill

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had rotor issues with both Grand Ams I've owned (2000 and 2003). The 2000 was an SE, had warped rotors more than a few times. The 2003 is a GT with 4-wheel discs and also has had warped rotors at least twice. I think no matter what car, as long as you've got hot metal and cold water (rain), then you'll eventually end up with warped rotors. When you've got hot metal and hit that with cold water, the metal changes shape. Thus, warped rotors.

I could go on and on about the number of warped rotors I've encountered in friends' vehicles. Make isn't the issue.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.