Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am an avid car forum user, from mustangforums to cherokeeforums and I understand the importance of car communities, thanks in advanced guys!

My wife and I have been car shopping to replace her 2004 jetta with 146000 and counting. We were looking for a 2010+ mid size sedan for around 15k. Immediately flocked to the Ford Fusion and although it was a nice car, it felt like the cramped jetta all over again. The next day I took her to the Chevy dealer so she can compare to something else. Not really looking at Malibu's as they lived in the impala's shadow to me, when she saw it and drove it, the bu blew the fusion out of the water in terms of comfort and roominess.

Yesterday we found her 'dream' malibu. An LTZ with the 4cyl in diamond white. Since its used it does have a little rash under the front bumper and 1 wheel but otherwise mint. Needless to say we brought it home last night!! It is a CPO car but I'm sure it will handle her driving of 100 miles a day.

Last night upon further inspection and when the novelty of a new car wore off I noticed the rear cupholder won't stay shut
And there's a plasticy sounding squeek coming from the rear area going over hard bumps at speed. Are these common issues? Will warranty cover them?

Thanks again guys!

Cliffs: car shopping, liked malibu over fusion, bought ltz used, some scuffs, but rear cupholder won't close and squeeks over hard bumps at speed. Warranty?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,480 Posts
The cupholder should be fixed under bumper to bumper warranty. They'll probably just replace the whole piece. Some kid was probably playing with it all the time fidgeting in the back seat and broke it.

The squeak will be investigated by the dealer and they'll try to sort it out. If they can't you're kinda SOL on that. Wheels aren't covered under warranty for curb rash, though you might be able to get some good will from the dealer you bought it from if you go back ASAP. Otherwise you can buy a replacement online for a couple hundred dollars.

·
Administrator
16,621 Posts
Check for posts about rear parking brake cable housing and the retaining clip. It could be the housing slipping in the clip making the noise and there's an easy, cheap fix that either you or the dealer can do, but that's if it's the clip & housing making the noises.

Congrats on the purchase! I had an '09 2LT purchased at 1252 miles that I traded at 20,058 miles for an '11 LTZ bought with 9 miles on it and was lost at 44K miles in a flood. Replaced that with a used '11 LTZ with 56K miles. Still gotta get around to taking a decent picture of the "new" '11 and using it as my sig pic, which is currently my first '11 the day I finished doing a complete clay bar/scratch/swirl/seal job on it. Overall I like the car which is why I replaced the lost one with another.

I hope yours turns out to be a really good ride for all your needs. No car's perfect but these are really good cars.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope so too, I will call the dealer tomorrow and see what they can do for me, but I'm a perfectionist. My wife is thrilled with it coming from her tin can of a Jetta, so as long as she's happy, I'm happy.

Now I just have to wait for it to warm up so I can polish it and wax it!

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Originally Posted by DUBaradoHi all,

I am an avid car forum user, from mustangforums to cherokeeforums and I understand the importance of car communities, thanks in advanced guys!

My wife and I have been car shopping to replace her 2004 jetta with 146000 and counting. We were looking for a 2010+ mid size sedan for around 15k. Immediately flocked to the Ford Fusion and although it was a nice car, it felt like the cramped jetta all over again. The next day I took her to the Chevy dealer so she can compare to something else. Not really looking at Malibu's as they lived in the impala's shadow to me, when she saw it and drove it, the bu blew the fusion out of the water in terms of comfort and roominess.

Yesterday we found her 'dream' malibu. An LTZ with the 4cyl in diamond white. Since its used it does have a little rash under the front bumper and 1 wheel but otherwise mint. Needless to say we brought it home last night!! It is a CPO car but I'm sure it will handle her driving of 100 miles a day.

Last night upon further inspection and when the novelty of a new car wore off I noticed the rear cupholder won't stay shut
And there's a plasticy sounding squeek coming from the rear area going over hard bumps at speed. Are these common issues? Will warranty cover them?

Thanks again guys!

Cliffs: car shopping, liked malibu over fusion, bought ltz used, some scuffs, but rear cupholder won't close and squeeks over hard bumps at speed. Warranty?
Hey DUBarado,

We're very excited that you chose Chevy this time around, and we're glad to have you in the family! Definitely check with your dealership about those few issues before the CPO limited warranty ends. If there's anything we can assist with in the future feel free to send us a private message. We're here to help!

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! The dealer replaced the second keyless remote and ordered the part to fix the cupholder. Unfortunately tonight the check engine light came on. I dont have a diagnostics tool to see what it could be but everything seems normal and I hope this isn't the begginging of a lemon story.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Originally Posted by DUBaradoThank you! The dealer replaced the second keyless remote and ordered the part to fix the cupholder. Unfortunately tonight the check engine light came on. I dont have a diagnostics tool to see what it could be but everything seems normal and I hope this isn't the begginging of a lemon story.
Thanks for the update! Please let me know if you have your Malibu back to the dealers to be checked.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My wife took the car to the dealer by her work, and they said is the 2nd air pump used to warm the catalytic converter, they ordered the part and will replace it tomorrow. Is this a common issue, or is this a sign that there is an underlying problem with the car? The carfax and autocheck came up clean, but the car is from Bay Shore NY originally and they got slammed by sandy last year, worse than here. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A week later, and another problem!!

This morning, my wife was leaving to work, and found a puddle on the passenger side floor! The water was dripping down the A-pillar and even popped the wood trim off the dash board. The button for the heated seat and the seat was splashed on as well. I am beginning to feel like I do have a lemon. I will keep y'all posted with what happens.

·
Administrator
16,621 Posts
If it doesn't have a sunroof then look for 1 of 2 things being the cause: windshield not sealed properly, or the seam between the roof and side not sealed properly. Both have happened to a couple of others on here and it was an easy fix. Hopefully yours is too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My car has the rattle too. I thought maybe it was something under the car near the tire that was rattling. Will have to check out the brake cable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
Carlton_fritz
Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Chevy Malibu Forum is the best place for owners of the sedan to connect with the community and discuss MPG, mods, and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing